Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2016, 10:37 AM

26,429 posts, read 46,607,911 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Mac View Post
Evidence? Research? Where is it?
From numerous books and articles I have read and direct personal experience of going 100% gluten free and never deviating from that approach. During the first few months of going with no wheat of any type over 8 years ago I lost well over 30-35 pounds with next to no effort and very little change in exercise regimen. My appetite and cravings for food between meals went down across the board, bloating was reduced across the board, any skin issues improved, and overall quality of life improved. Three of my friends experienced very similar results. This isn't a scientific analysis, but it does show the approach has definite results for many people.

"At first, we thought there may be a possibility that those who are eating gluten-free were simply riding the recent trend wave. Turns out, there's a bit more to the story.

Wheat and grain-based products are loved by many people around the world. We can't get enough of crackers, bread, cereals and (let's not forget one of our favorites) pasta. The thought of a warm bowl of pasta slathered in homemade tomato sauce with a sprinkling of parmesan cheese tickles our fancy, but the results are in, and let's just say they are not pretty.

Gluten, a protein composite of gliadin and glutenin found in wheat and grains, may be addictive. Perhaps this explains the uncontrollable cravings for carbs many of us experience. This news was hard for us to digest, but not nearly as hard as gluten is on our intestines.

Since the 1950s, when scientists began cross-breeding wheat to make it grow faster, we've seen a few issues arise. Wheat is not as healthy as it used to be. U.S. plant scientist, Norman Borlaug, who won the the Nobel Prize for his work in wheat hybridization may have introduced some compounds that aren't exactly friendly to our bodies. In fact, there are proteins found in today's wheat that scientists can't trace back to the original plant.

What could this mean for you? Unfortunately, digestion issues along with a slew of potential diseases, such as celiac disease, rheumatoid arthritis, and IBS. These problems can pertain to anyone, not just to those with severe gluten reactions or celiac disease.

A reported 1.8 million Americans suffer from celiac disease, with an additional 1.6 million undiagnosed and 18 million who have extreme gluten sensitivity, also known as "non-celiac gluten sensitivity." Gluten: we hate to love it and we love to hate it. It helps give so many of the foods we love that sensational chewy texture, but is it really worth it?"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2016, 11:00 AM

2,867 posts, read 1,542,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
As stated in other threads, wheat has appetite stimulating properties that can cause many people to overeat and consume far more calories than necessary. If you cut that food out entirely, you will quickly lose weight, feel hungry far less often, consume hardly any snacks between meals, and end up eating less calories a day. You can take my word for it and many people I know as it has definitely improved their overall quality of life.
Quote:
The research, if you run a search in PubMed, runs toward there being a difference between whole grain and refined wheat. It is not a blanket condemnation of wheat in general. More like the form in which people eat it.

Here is an abstract that explains it in the closest thing to plain English you will find on there: Short-term effects of whole-grain wheat on appetite and food intake in healthy adults: a pilot study. - PubMed - NCBI

It found no increase in appetite by people who ate whole grain wheat.

This one showed exactly the opposite of what Granite describes, with better digestion, less bloating, and more energy from eating wheat bran.

Short term (14 days) consumption of insoluble wheat bran fibre-containing breakfast cereals improves subjective digestive feelings, general wellbei... - PubMed - NCBI

A certain doctor got rich off writing a book about wheat and bellies that I will not post here because it's a lot of quackery.

The bottom line is that cutting out wheat entirely often means cutting out a LOT of highly processed junk, and cutting out highly processed junk is what leads to the weight loss, NOT cutting out the wheat.

It's a fine point, but one that should be made.

Old 07-10-2016, 12:31 PM

6,102 posts, read 8,824,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seija View Post
The research, if you run a search in PubMed, runs toward there being a difference between whole grain and refined wheat. It is not a blanket condemnation of wheat in general. More like the form in which people eat it.

Here is an abstract that explains it in the closest thing to plain English you will find on there: Short-term effects of whole-grain wheat on appetite and food intake in healthy adults: a pilot study. - PubMed - NCBI

This one showed exactly the opposite of what Granite describes, with better digestion, less bloating, and more energy from eating wheat bran.

Short term (14 days) consumption of insoluble wheat bran fibre-containing breakfast cereals improves subjective digestive feelings, general wellbei... - PubMed - NCBI

A certain doctor got rich off writing a book about wheat and bellies that I will not post here because it's a lot of quackery.

The bottom line is that cutting out wheat entirely often means cutting out a LOT of highly processed junk, and cutting out highly processed junk is what leads to the weight loss, NOT cutting out the wheat.

Excellent points. They will fall on deaf ears regarding Granite. He is convinced all wheat is poison.

Old 07-10-2016, 07:38 PM

26,429 posts, read 46,607,911 times
Quote:

Americans don't need to be eating our form of modern wheat, you can't explain it away by using the excuse that wheat in all processed foods is causing the absurd obesity epidemic with around 70% of the population obese or overweight. I would agree that the larger issue is processed foods as well as additional added ingredients put into those foods that add to the appetite stimulating properties of that item, which ends up leading to increased consumption and sales for the manufacturer of the finished food product.

Last edited by GraniteStater; 07-28-2016 at 04:56 PM..

Old 07-14-2016, 10:12 AM

39 posts, read 101,826 times
My mom is between 600 and 700 pounds at this point and it makes me hate this thread basically

Old 07-14-2016, 02:22 PM

2,867 posts, read 1,542,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
Americans don't need to be eating our form of modern wheat, you can explain it away by using the excuse that wheat in all processed foods is causing the absurd obesity epidemic with around 70% of the population obese or overweight. I would agree that the larger issue is processed foods as well as additional added ingredients put into those foods that add to the appetite stimulating properties of that item, which ends up leading to increased consumption and sales for the manufacturer of the finished food product.
Plenty of thin people eat modern bread. Again, processed is less healthy, but wheat in general is not the enemy. Plenty of thin people eat modern whole grain bread.

The biggest problem Americans have is portion distortion. They don't need to be eating the gigantic portions they do. It is absurd what I see in restaurants. It is a plate, not a platter. It is a bowl, not a trough. It is a glass, not a jug. It drives me nuts!

Old 07-14-2016, 02:42 PM

10,235 posts, read 6,326,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyDave View Post
I'm trying to lose 275 pounds, i can barely walk, I've suffered many injuries in my life. I've been overweight all my life. I've missed out on millions of things in my life because i am fat. But my life still has value, I'm a musician, an artist, and a writer. I'm not ugly or old, i work out in the pool, i work full time at a good job, i am in love with my partner. I help those i can and donate what i can. I am confident, outgoing and have many friends. And yet punk ass kids, self centered men, cruel women and unhappy couples think my life is worthless because my problems are different than theirs. They DARE to condescend me by acting "nice" like I'm a child or mentally disabled. They offer false encouragement and fake c smiles to avoid making any real human connection with me, because to them I'm not human. Women don't find me threatening, they see me as a non entity in the dating game. That's a mistake. They want and need to believe i am not their equal because they are full of fear and they are ignorant. They are ANGRY that i am happy. HOW can i be doing better than them?! There's nothing you can do about that as a big person. Just live your life, and treat those unhappy people with pity. You must continue building yourself up, don't stop to respond to haters because you're above that ****.

And the sad cases, people who have lost hope? 600 lb cat ladies? That will always happen, regardless of weight. There are plenty of 100 lb cat ladies ****ting themselves and starving because nobody cares. If not obesity, it could've been meth or violent crime or sex addiction. Any of us can end up in need of HELP. Those who belittle me for being fat, belittle the poor for being ignorant, the elderly for not planning ahead, are selfish and short sighed. They have done nothing to help me, nothing to help the sick, the mentally ill, the elderly. They are terrified by their own inability to affect change in the world, by their own uselessness, and blame others. Thet feel upset at poor people because their existence makes them feel guilty. They feel angry at fat people because they force them to face their fears. To face the human drama which is easier to ignore. Easier to say it is not valid.

Cut those haters out of your life!
Excuse me? I am an Elderly Cat Lady of 98 lbs, but I was once a young woman of 98 lbs. with two children. Stop the "skinny" prejudice. I could afford as much food as I wanted 30 years ago. and still can. I cannot escape my family genes any more than others can escape their genes.

Old 07-14-2016, 09:34 PM

11,761 posts, read 7,265,083 times
Quote:
This is a very long article but it covers the topic of how carbs increase your appetite and make it very difficult to lose weight.

Take your time and read it carefully...also look up the studies that are mentioned in this article.

What if its all been a big fat lie?

Old 07-26-2016, 09:02 AM

10,098 posts, read 4,092,829 times
I don't know - I even force vomit some times when I eat too much at a weight I feel is "letting myself go".

Old 07-26-2016, 07:47 PM

2,209 posts, read 2,319,799 times
Quote:
Plenty of thin people eat modern bread. Again, processed is less healthy, but wheat in general is not the enemy. Plenty of thin people eat modern whole grain bread.

The biggest problem Americans have is portion distortion. They don't need to be eating the gigantic portions they do. It is absurd what I see in restaurants. It is a plate, not a platter. It is a bowl, not a trough. It is a glass, not a jug. It drives me nuts!
Why does it bother you what and how much other people eat? If I'm eating somewhere, and I see someone at another table who is obese and eating mounds of food, it doesn't impact me directly in any way. I just focus on myself and steer my own ship. Why worry about others' eating habits?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss