Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2014, 10:17 AM

90 posts, read 128,853 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kings Gambit View Post
Totally wrong and horrible advice.

Ever since I first joined CD, I have been a strong advocate of NUTRITION!! Not dieting, not fasting, not cleansing, etc. If you want to be healthy and fit, you MUST have a proper nutritional intake. Skipping meals like breakfast or fasting does not promote health and fitness.

I, just like many who have posted here, am NEVER hungry in the morning. NEVER. So what do I do? I wake up usually around 5:30, have a cup of black (no sugar) coffee, then go for a 5-7 mile run or some other form of cardio like HIIT sprints to build up an appetite. Then, I come home, eat a banana, couple of boiled eggs and a spinach/kale protein shake with almond milk to start my day.

Never skip breakfast. After sleeping for 7-8 hours your body is basically carb depleted, so really, its like you just "fasted" for those hours. Now, for proper functioning of your body you MUST fuel it. This is what makes breakfast the MOST important meal of your day and the one you should NEVER skip.

I agree totally!

In 10 years of being first a personal trainer and then a physical therapist I don't recall one client ever skipping meals as an effective PERMANENT weight-loss stratagem. And I've helped dozens of people drop undesired weight and improve their overall health profile. Look people: the key word here is "permanent weight loss." Sure, anyone who skips meals can drop some lbs. temporarily, since they are decreasing caloric intake. But trust me, they ain't gonna keep it off.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2014, 11:39 AM

515 posts, read 1,004,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruffin_Ready View Post
I agree totally!

In 10 years of being first a personal trainer and then a physical therapist I don't recall one client ever skipping meals as an effective PERMANENT weight-loss stratagem. And I've helped dozens of people drop undesired weight and improve their overall health profile. Look people: the key word here is "permanent weight loss." Sure, anyone who skips meals can drop some lbs. temporarily, since they are decreasing caloric intake. But trust me, they ain't gonna keep it off.
How aren't they going to keep it off?

Every study has conclusively shown that you can eat breakfast or skip it. It doesn't matter if you're eating the right kinds of foods.

Old 10-10-2014, 12:24 PM

90 posts, read 128,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by schmedes2 View Post
How aren't they going to keep it off?

Every study has conclusively shown that you can eat breakfast or skip it. It doesn't matter if you're eating the right kinds of foods.

LOL--Always beware of using the phrase "every study has conclusively shown...."

Aside from being flat-out wrong, it bespeaks of one's lack of research skills and knowledge on the subject.

Here's an example! No charge, which answers exactly "how aren't they gonna keep it off." (from WebMD, by the way)

Skip Breakfast, Get Fat

Last edited by Ruffin_Ready; 10-10-2014 at 01:06 PM..

Old 10-10-2014, 01:44 PM

4,672 posts, read 4,984,341 times
Quote:
I agree totally!

Breaking your fast at noon and only eating two meals a day seems fundamentally different from "skipping meals" as I picture it: someone just saying, I feel kind of fat today, I'm just not going to eat lunch (or dinner, or breakfast).

Two meals a day seems perfectly sustainable for a lot of people (I'm actually not one of them; I have to mix in some days where I eat as soon as I get up, otherwise my body clock shifts too late). It's the "I feel kind of fat" people that I think your warning about skipping meals applies to.

Old 10-10-2014, 08:19 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,795,182 times
Quote:
I agree totally!

If what you claim was true, then there would exist no thin or slender or simply average-weight people, who are also in the category of healthy people, who skip breakfast.

Since there ARE lots of healthy, thin/slender/average-weight people who skip breakfast, then your statement that skipping breakfast will make people fat is flat out incorrect.

Old 10-11-2014, 08:00 AM

2,183 posts, read 2,639,380 times
Quote:

Aside from being flat-out wrong, it bespeaks of one's lack of research skills and knowledge on the subject.

Here's an example! No charge, which answers exactly "how aren't they gonna keep it off." (from WebMD, by the way)

Skip Breakfast, Get Fat
haha! People find high calorie (presumably delicious) foods more appealing when they haven't eaten in 14-16 hours?! What a shocker!

This doesn't prove that skipping breakfast actually makes you fat. Just proves that humans find food more appealing after having not eaten any for awhile. If you keep caloric intake under control then skipping breakfast can help you lose weight, you are prolonging your overnight fast and spending the morning in a peak fat oxidation state. So you burn stored fat off in the mornings and provide fuel in the afternoons/early evenings for recovery/muscle growth/general usage, but not so much that your body has leftovers to store.

Old 10-11-2014, 02:58 PM

515 posts, read 1,004,962 times
Quote:

Skip Breakfast, Get Fat

It's downright ironic you would tell me I have no research skills when a basic search, that you probably used yourself, would show a ton of articles saying skipping breakfast is just fine if it works for you.

Oh wait, it's not even ironic; it's just sad because I already replied to you with this exact image and you choose to ignore it on the previous page. Your 10 years of anecdotal data is not evidence. Such an experienced researcher as yourself should already know that, shouldn't you?

This is where you say, "Oh it doesn't matter what all this new research says, I've been in the trenches for ten years and this works!"

Blindly stating that "you must eat breakfast" is a incredibly strong and clear indicator that you don't keep up with the research. The research has shown that you can eat breakfast or not; what's most important is eating high quality foods and not over-eating.

I'll leave some more for you to read besides the stuff I already left on the last page for you to pick through at your leisure. Oh, look, I have one from WebMD as well

Skipping Breakfast May Not Lead to Weight Gain After All

Precision Nutrition » Skipping breakfast: Will it really make you fat?

Performance U. Fitness Continuing Education | Pre-Workout Meal and Supplements for Gaining Muscle, Strength & Bodybuilding – For Men and Women!

An Objective Look at Intermittent Fasting - AlanAragon.com - Fitness Based on Science & Experience

Why Breakfast is Not The Most Important Meal of the Day | STACK

Skipping breakfast won't wreck your diet, after all - Health - TODAY.com

Old 10-13-2014, 08:03 AM

1,650 posts, read 3,805,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
If what you claim was true, then there would exist no thin or slender or simply average-weight people, who are also in the category of healthy people, who skip breakfast.

Since there ARE lots of healthy, thin/slender/average-weight people who skip breakfast, then your statement that skipping breakfast will make people fat is flat out incorrect.
He flat out never said that.

If you want to skip breakfast, go ahead. But it won't magically make you lose weight and keep it off like some would have you believe.
I'll skip it once in a while and if that means I save a few calories that day, cool.
But if I skipped it every day, it would probably end up working against me.

Old 10-13-2014, 12:40 PM

8,228 posts, read 14,225,526 times
I know the common rant out there is you must eat breakfast or you are somehow doomed in life. But I think its very personal. If not eating breakfast works for you - i.e. you eat well the rest of the day, exercise, are healthy etc. then don't eat breakfast. If not eating breakfast absolutely sets you up for some sort of binge eating fail or go to bad snacks later then make an effort to eat something for breakfast.

I knew a guy that basically ate a well balanced dinner. Maybe something 'normal' for lunch. Very fit, very healthy.
Said
"eating breakfast was like hanging an anchor out his ass" he didn't get anything done for the rest of the day.

Works for him.

If breakfast works fine. If a delayed breakfast works fine. Skipping lunch works? fine.

Do what works for you as long as its basically healthy.

Old 10-14-2014, 03:52 PM

22,665 posts, read 24,614,838 times
The key to eating breakfast is eating a moderately sized dinner, in the late afternoon.......then eat nothing else. That way you will wake up kinda hungry, wanting to eat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss