Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2014, 12:31 PM

877 posts, read 1,317,184 times

Advertisements

I think it's absolutely important in weight loss

If I don't eat a protein packed breakfast I notice I end up having strong sugar cravings and make bad choices throughout the rest of the day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2014, 01:14 PM

283 posts, read 385,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeendonuts View Post

If I don't eat a protein packed breakfast I notice I end up having strong sugar cravings and make bad choices throughout the rest of the day.
If you keep hydrated and your mind busy, I don't see why it can't be done. Been doing it for a while now myself and several others in this thread have also. Makes it easier if you're on a ketogenic or primal diet.

Then again, if you'll notice earlier in this thread I was a skeptic and argued just as you did.

Old 06-12-2014, 05:51 PM

2,183 posts, read 2,639,380 times
Quote:

There isn't anything wrong with eating a little sugar, it's when you eat a lot of it consistently that issues surface.

Old 06-13-2014, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saigafreak View Post
If you keep hydrated and your mind busy, I don't see why it can't be done. Been doing it for a while now myself and several others in this thread have also. Makes it easier if you're on a ketogenic or primal diet.

Then again, if you'll notice earlier in this thread I was a skeptic and argued just as you did.
I'm a long distance runner, so I do keep hydrated. Doesn't work. There's more to it than just keeping hydrated. I've learned what works for my body and what doesn't.

Also, i'm not in the process of losing weight...I was just chiming in on what works best for me. I have lost weight in the past though, but I think it was just losing baby weight and getting off of medications for my stomach problems.

Old 06-13-2014, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tofur View Post
There isn't anything wrong with eating a little sugar, it's when you eat a lot of it consistently that issues surface.
And that was the issue, I would binge on sugary foods. I limit sweets and carbs for my health. My father is diabetic and I realized my diet was very crappy, filled with processed foods and sugars.

I need to learn self control regarding sugar.

Old 06-13-2014, 08:35 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,673,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cattknap View Post
I and almost everyone I know eats dinner around 6 pm and rarely later. I give large dinner parties and 6 pm is the time of choice to eat. We eat breakfast around 7 am, lunch at noon and dinner at 6.....trying to put at least 5 hours between each meal. I prefer to go to bed feeling slightly hungry not full from dinner.
I usually workout in the evening. Sometimes I will both lift weights and run. I can't eat dinner and then workout, so I usually don't eat dinner until 9 or 10 at night. The key is to eat a light snack so that you're not too hungry to exercise.

Old 06-14-2014, 01:33 AM

2,547 posts, read 4,230,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saigafreak View Post
BTW, I've done a 180 on the matter. After reading the research and doing IF (intermittent fasting) myself resulting in rapid weight loss without muscle loss (10 lbs lost in 2 weeks without losing any upper body strength) and still feeling great and not getting sick, I believe you can skip breakfast or otherwise intermittently fast successfully. It takes discipline (not making up the calories) and eating a diet high in fat and protein to satiate the appetite prior to fasting but it can be done. If you begin fasting with a meal high in starches, I believe it will be difficult to impossible to succeed at IF. Fasting can also unravel your genetic makeup nicely and give your body some nice randomized experiences (similar to how you change up workouts to keep your body guessing and building muscle) instead of being a robot and eating 3 squares because people in white coats told you to do so.
Can you please share details on the fasting??? What times do you eat/ how long do you go between meals?

I'm not usually hungry in the mornings at all and can easily go until 2 pm or so without eating, at which point I have a small snack and can go again until dinner. However if I'm going out in the morning (I'm a sahm) I do make myself have a small breakfast because I can get shaky and weak a couple hours later some days (other days I'm fine). I stay under 1500 calories most days and work out, but I do have those stubborn fat areas that just won't go away.

Old 06-14-2014, 07:06 AM

Quote:
I'm a long distance runner, so I do keep hydrated. Doesn't work. There's more to it than just keeping hydrated. I've learned what works for my body and what doesn't.

Also, i'm not in the process of losing weight...I was just chiming in on what works best for me. I have lost weight in the past though, but I think it was just losing baby weight and getting off of medications for my stomach problems.
Yeah don't attempt long distance runs while fasted. Walks, light bikes rides, etc, are fine.

Old 06-14-2014, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilCookie View Post
Can you please share details on the fasting??? What times do you eat/ how long do you go between meals?

I'm not usually hungry in the mornings at all and can easily go until 2 pm or so without eating, at which point I have a small snack and can go again until dinner. However if I'm going out in the morning (I'm a sahm) I do make myself have a small breakfast because I can get shaky and weak a couple hours later some days (other days I'm fine). I stay under 1500 calories most days and work out, but I do have those stubborn fat areas that just won't go away.
Fasting means no calories in. Well, you can throw a splash of cream in your coffee in the morning and it won't kick you out of the fasted state, but beyond that is no bueno. Thats the first thing to know.

Everyone sets up their feeding/fasting windows differently, thats part of the beauty of it. You can build your own schedule. I break my fast somewhere between 12-3pm, eat dinner at 8-9pm. so my feeding window is from 12-3pm until 8-9pm, the rest of the time I don't eat anything and don't even think about food. I do two meals, both with plenty of protein/fat.

Thats interesting that some days you feel shaky after a couple hours (a couple hours after waking up?), I haven't run into that before. Drink plenty of water, and make sure your diet is balanced (i.e, plenty of protein/fat/carbs). What is the content of your diet right now?

Also, 1500 calories really isn't that much. Are you male, female? whats your age, height, weight? The shakiness could be just a lack of calories.

Old 06-14-2014, 07:17 AM

5,103 posts, read 8,614,777 times
Breakfast eater here! (:

I've stopped having this fight. There are people who just can't eat first thing. If they desire coffee, I'll make them some, and I convinced a former partner to start having one hard boiled egg with his coffee. He was 10X less grouchy when he did that, but getting him to eat more was a worthless cause.

I've also noticed that people who eat dinner around 5:30 pm or so and who don't snack all evening generally want breakfast. I think it helps with weight loss (and maintaining weight) not to be eating high calorie foods all evening and then going to bed with a full stomach and skipping breakfast.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss