Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2014, 07:30 AM

2,183 posts, read 2,639,380 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meemur View Post
Breakfast eater here! (:

I've stopped having this fight. There are people who just can't eat first thing. If they desire coffee, I'll make them some, and I convinced a former partner to start having one hard boiled egg with his coffee. He was 10X less grouchy when he did that, but getting him to eat more was a worthless cause.

I've also noticed that people who eat dinner around 5:30 pm or so and who don't snack all evening generally want breakfast. I think it helps with weight loss (and maintaining weight) not to be eating high calorie foods all evening and then going to bed with a full stomach and skipping breakfast.
I was a huge fan of b-fast my whole life, but I prefer to fast now. I also didn't lose weight past a certain point until I started fasting instead of eating in the morning. My b-fasts consisted mostly of carbs, giving my body that shot of carbs in the morning halted any fat loss so far as I can tell. I would actually be hungrier a couple hours after the meal then I am not having eaten anything at all.

Wanting b-fast is a product of habit, nothing more. Eating dinner a couple hours early doesn't make a difference in my experience, so long as that dinner and my diet overall for that day are sound. Our hormones get entrained to our meal pattern, so if you are used to eating in the morning and then stop, it takes a bit to re-wire.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2014, 06:20 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,795,182 times
The results of a recent study came out just a week ago - turns out skipping breakfast doesn't impact weight loss attempts any more than eating breakfast does.

The effectiveness of breakfast recommendations on weight loss: a randomized controlled trial

Although that is evidence that it doesn't matter whether or not you have your first meal shortly after waking up, or not til lunch time - there is also evidence that skipping breakfast can be unhealthy (even if it doesn't contribute to weight loss or gain):

Prospective Study of Breakfast Eating and Incident Coronary Heart Disease in a Cohort of Male US Health Professionals

Old 06-14-2014, 09:30 PM

5,284 posts, read 20,056,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
The results of a recent study came out just a week ago - turns out skipping breakfast doesn't impact weight loss attempts any more than eating breakfast does.

The effectiveness of breakfast recommendations on weight loss: a randomized controlled trial

Although that is evidence that it doesn't matter whether or not you have your first meal shortly after waking up, or not til lunch time - there is also evidence that skipping breakfast can be unhealthy (even if it doesn't contribute to weight loss or gain):

Prospective Study of Breakfast Eating and Incident Coronary Heart Disease in a Cohort of Male US Health Professionals
Good info and not surprising. Keeping slim has to do with quantity of food eaten, calories, exercise. There are so many gimmicks out there and people trying to lead others to believe that you can trick your body into losing weight, getting healthy. Eat regularly, eat a balanced diet comprised of modest quantities of whole, fresh foods, exercise - that is the magic formula if you can train yourself to lead that lifestyle on a permanent basis. It is a simple formula that works - no fasting/starving, counting down the hours until you can eat - ridiculous.

Old 06-15-2014, 06:07 AM

2,183 posts, read 2,639,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post

Yeah what matters ultimately is how much you eat every day. Fasting until lunch then eating 3500 calories over the course of the afternoon will not result in fat loss, at least for the majority of people anyway. Fasting isn't a magic bullet, it has to be combined with other stuff. In my experience though, when it is added into a controlled diet is has a positive effect. Once I hit a certain leanness(around 14% bf) I couldn't drop any more fat when eating upon waking up, even though I was careful with my overall caloric intake. Everyone's different though, my body is super stingy and can work wonders with any energy I give it. Great for survival in the zombie apocalypse, not so great for rocking a 6 pack on the beach.

As for the second study, it is way too broad to draw any definite conclusions. Who knows what confounders are in there messing with things. Smoking, drinking, lack of sleep, stress, content of diet, so many other things play into catching diseases. Since b-fast eating has been so heavily sold as healthy, it stands to reason the b-fast eaters generally are more health focused then the skippers, who (based on the years the study was done) weren't aware of fasting and its health benefits, so were skipping b-fast due to laziness/lack of caring about health. That lack of caring about health tends to manifest elsewhere in life in other habits.

Last edited by tofur; 06-15-2014 at 06:19 AM..

Old 06-17-2014, 05:41 PM

116 posts, read 226,367 times
Always eat when you wake up!

Goof video explaining why you're not hungry when you wake up.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9AN07vX7L7k

Old 06-17-2014, 05:59 PM

50,382 posts, read 64,021,617 times
It makes sense that your body needs some fuel in the morning. I am at home now, so I can afford the luxury of waiting until I get hungry in the morning, which is about 9 am. Typically, I eat a high fiber cereal, fruit and skim milk.
If you leave for work and need to eat by 7 or so, I think it is a good idea to eat even if you are not hungry. What I did was to take a high fiber and protein bar and a banana with me in the morning, so I could eat on my way to work.
If you don't eat in the morning, most likely you will shove any old thing down the hatch later if you get hungry and don't have anything healthful to eat.

Old 10-08-2014, 11:16 AM

90 posts, read 128,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueberry Pancake View Post
Yes, skipping breakfast is good for you.

A lot of people now practice some type of fasting -- going long periods with no food, just water, coffee and tea. Many scientific studies support fasting. Look online for them.
wrong on several counts!!

I am a physical therapist and have a master's in biology and have been a lifelong athlete since high school.

I've helped dozens of people lose weight and optimize their fitness level and I have never recommended--nor heard ANY health professional recommend--fasting as a means of safely and permanently losing weight.

Look: what happens when you fast is that your body goes into a sort of "calorie-deficit" mode, so what is it gonna do the next time you finally DO eat? LOL--it's going to latch on to every single fat gram it can, and then store it away for later, since it "doesn't know" when it's going to get fed again, because of the lengthy time period it just underwent between fueling sessions.

Sure, someone might drop a few temporary lbs. from skipping meals, but they are in no way gonna keep the weight off, and in fact it usually returns--and then some--within a few weeks. In the fitness game we call this "unsustainable weight-drop."

Look it up. Google "is skipping breakfast a good way to lose weight? If you can find two out of a hundred fitness or health pros who say it is, you win!

Old 10-10-2014, 05:58 AM

4,566 posts, read 5,425,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueberry Pancake View Post
Yes, skipping breakfast is good for you.

A lot of people now practice some type of fasting -- going long periods with no food, just water, coffee and tea. Many scientific studies support fasting. Look online for them.
Totally wrong and horrible advice.

Ever since I first joined CD, I have been a strong advocate of NUTRITION!! Not dieting, not fasting, not cleansing, etc. If you want to be healthy and fit, you MUST have a proper nutritional intake. Skipping meals like breakfast or fasting does not promote health and fitness.

I, just like many who have posted here, am NEVER hungry in the morning. NEVER. So what do I do? I wake up usually around 5:30, have a cup of black (no sugar) coffee, then go for a 5-7 mile run or some other form of cardio like HIIT sprints to build up an appetite. Then, I come home, eat a banana, couple of boiled eggs and a spinach/kale protein shake with almond milk to start my day.

Never skip breakfast. After sleeping for 7-8 hours your body is basically carb depleted, so really, its like you just "fasted" for those hours. Now, for proper functioning of your body you MUST fuel it. This is what makes breakfast the MOST important meal of your day and the one you should NEVER skip.

Old 10-10-2014, 06:26 AM

515 posts, read 1,004,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruffin_Ready View Post
wrong on several counts!!

I am a physical therapist and have a master's in biology and have been a lifelong athlete since high school.

I've helped dozens of people lose weight and optimize their fitness level and I have never recommended--nor heard ANY health professional recommend--fasting as a means of safely and permanently losing weight.

Look: what happens when you fast is that your body goes into a sort of "calorie-deficit" mode, so what is it gonna do the next time you finally DO eat? LOL--it's going to latch on to every single fat gram it can, and then store it away for later, since it "doesn't know" when it's going to get fed again, because of the lengthy time period it just underwent between fueling sessions.

Sure, someone might drop a few temporary lbs. from skipping meals, but they are in no way gonna keep the weight off, and in fact it usually returns--and then some--within a few weeks. In the fitness game we call this "unsustainable weight-drop."

Look it up. Google "is skipping breakfast a good way to lose weight? If you can find two out of a hundred fitness or health pros who say it is, you win!
Actually, it's funny you mention that because the results page is exactly what many people have been saying about breakfast for a long time now:

Also, please explain more about this "calorie-deficit" mode that makes our body suddenly store everything as fat? If that was the case, we already fasted at night while we were asleep, wouldn't that mean that we're in calorie deficit mode and everything we eat at breakfast is being stored as fat?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kings Gambit View Post
Totally wrong and horrible advice.

Ever since I first joined CD, I have been a strong advocate of NUTRITION!! Not dieting, not fasting, not cleansing, etc. If you want to be healthy and fit, you MUST have a proper nutritional intake. Skipping meals like breakfast or fasting does not promote health and fitness.

I, just like many who have posted here, am NEVER hungry in the morning. NEVER. So what do I do? I wake up usually around 5:30, have a cup of black (no sugar) coffee, then go for a 5-7 mile run or some other form of cardio like HIIT sprints to build up an appetite. Then, I come home, eat a banana, couple of boiled eggs and a spinach/kale protein shake with almond milk to start my day.

Never skip breakfast. After sleeping for 7-8 hours your body is basically carb depleted, so really, its like you just "fasted" for those hours. Now, for proper functioning of your body you MUST fuel it. This is what makes breakfast the MOST important meal of your day and the one you should NEVER skip.
And, again, another person claiming you must fill your body. Why? Is it suddenly going to waste away? If you skip breakfast and wait until lunch, are you going to blow up like a balloon?

You guys are grossly overestimating the body's starvation response, which happens after upwards of 72 hours. Also, you're simply repeating what most other people say rather than looking into the new research that shows that both of you are wrong. In fact, it's not even that new of research, people have been looking into intermittent fasting for years now.

I'll bet you think skipping meals is bad for diabetics too? http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2014/0...-for-diabetes/

Please, update your research
Precision Nutrition » Learn More About Intermittent Fasting

The Effects of Intermittent Fasting on Human and Animal Health

Top Ten Fasting Myths Debunked (Major Update Nov 4th) | Intermittent fasting diet for fat loss, muscle gain and health

Old 10-10-2014, 09:20 AM

1,650 posts, read 3,805,844 times
Done it both ways. No measurable difference and I would prefer to eat.
I get up and workout immediately, so a bunch of protein from eggs, bacon, etc is more beneficial to me than not eating.
And then eat again a few hours later. And so on throughout the day.
Depends on your lifestyle, goals etc but IMHO the "studies" are pretty meaningless for the average person.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss