Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2017, 05:49 AM

3,563 posts, read 1,878,056 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teckeeee View Post
I just started Keto to try it out because while I realize it's not Atkins, when I did Atkins years ago, low carb too I had pretty serious sleeping problems. I am on day 3 down 4 pounds and am having sleeping issues which I normally have, but they are even worse now. I do feel good during the day, no Keto flu, so to speak.

I have mostly been eating eggs, bacon, hamburger patties with cheese, and some steamed broccoli. I did buy some Atkins bars just for some sugar taste, they are only net 2 carbs, and they are helping me with my sugar cravings. I realize that is not pure Keto, but so far it's working for me.

I plan to buy some Calcium supplements and increase my Magnesium doses at night. If need be I may even just eat my carbs at night and eat none during the day to help with sleep.

I felt a little bit weaker today haven't had a carb yet, but it's definitely worth it to get the results I am getting. My previous eating plan just wasn't working and when I look at the amount of carbs and refined sugar I was in taking it's no wonder why I ballooned up in spite of exercising 5 times a week.

This eating plan is easier than others because you never feel hungry due to the fat intake.

I am intermittent fasting like Dr. Berg suggested and I think that is why I have lost 4 lbs in 3 days, could just be water weight we'll see. I have about 30 lbs. to lose which I feel I can do in 2 months then it will require the discipline to stay on the plan.

Good luck to everyone!
Interesting to me re: the sleep part. I slept lousy before I eliminated carbs; couldn't get to sleep, restless leg (VANISHED as did migraines on lo carb; did NOT expect that, it was so cool) prevented it, then would awaken often. Now I fall asleep and stay asleep, it is like a freaking miracle.

FOR ME and for SOME (NOT FOR ALL) lo carb is fantastic; for those of us whose individual biochemistry utilizes carbs poorly, (I must be in this category), results can be dramatic.

I figure try several methods and see what works best (sounds so simple I know) as this can widely vary.

I have a vegan X5yr daughter who sailed through 2 pregnancies and looong lactations totally vegan and had big hearty babies; I needed meat galore when pregnant and lactating or I felt like crap. Individuality is a HUGE oft downplayed factor in diet/weight loss/fitness.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2017, 07:35 AM

4,977 posts, read 5,765,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by testing_waters View Post
Has anyone tried this diet ? If so, did you ease into it or slowly convert to it ?
I eat ketogenically.

I keep my carb intake to 20g or less net carbs daily. I've been eating this way for over a year and a half. I love it! I will never go back to eating the SAD (Standard American Diet). I also eat one meal a day usually.

I am in the best shape of my life.

There is so much misunderstanding over the supposed need for carbs, the supposed dangers of fat, etc. Quite sad. Neither doctors nor dieticians are all up on the latest research and promote the best way of eating.

Old 11-05-2017, 08:27 AM

6,103 posts, read 8,814,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeachSalsa View Post
I eat ketogenically.

I keep my carb intake to 20g or less net carbs daily. I've been eating this way for over a year and a half. I love it! I will never go back to eating the SAD (Standard American Diet). I also eat one meal a day usually.

I am in the best shape of my life.

There is so much misunderstanding over the supposed need for carbs, the supposed dangers of fat, etc. Quite sad. Neither doctors nor dieticians are all up on the latest research and promote the best way of eating.
the best way for you. Its great that you have achieved great success with this type of eating, but we are all different and there is no, 'one size fits all' to eating and dieting.
The best way to eat is the one that leads to health and one that you can sustain for life - whatever plan that might be.

Old 11-05-2017, 08:56 AM

4,977 posts, read 5,765,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
the best way for you. Its great that you have achieved great success with this type of eating, but we are all different and there is no, 'one size fits all' to eating and dieting.
The best way to eat is the one that leads to health and one that you can sustain for life - whatever plan that might be.
This is true.

For ME, the best way of eating is ketogenically.

I do not need to eat bread, rice, pasta, beans, flour, or sugar. I eat fatty meat, cheese, cream, and green veggies, and I am the healthiest I've ever been in my life.

Old 11-05-2017, 10:06 AM

10,137 posts, read 17,475,281 times
Last night I splurged a bit and had a good size bowl of diabetic ice cream, no sugar added. I slept so much better I think because of the carbs at night.

I really would like to do pure keto because I feel great during the day, maybe I could just eat my 20 carbs around bedtime possibly so I get a full night of sleep.

Honestly I ate more than 20 carbs with that bowl of ice cream and I can tell without weighing myself I gained some of the 4lbs I lost back, my wrist watch is tighter for example.

I am very good at intermittent fasting and can eat just twice a day with exercise.

As much as I like it I may pour the ice cream down the drain and if I want some just get the pint size Halo one which has been recommended so I don't have a supply of ice cream sitting around tempting me at night. Eating the Atkins bars net 2 carbs or peanut butter has been good for me in place of desert or if I am hungry before bed and I was losing weight doing that.

My first meal today will be eggs with sausage at lunchtime.

I was able to get my girlfriend to try the diet too because both of use need to lose a solid 30lbs which seems very doable on this eating plan.

I love that you are never hungry on this diet makes it so much easier than other eating plans to stick to it.

Old 11-05-2017, 10:18 AM

13,447 posts, read 15,470,908 times
I'm not afraid of fat or meat. I eat both. I pay attention to total calories, not the macros. There are things that I eat that are "full fat", but from childhood I've been trained to eat lower fat foods. I just don't derive a lot of my dietary calories from fat. Eating too much fat gives me digestive problems these days.

Old 11-05-2017, 10:32 AM

10,137 posts, read 17,475,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OverItAll View Post
Interesting to me re: the sleep part. I slept lousy before I eliminated carbs; couldn't get to sleep, restless leg (VANISHED as did migraines on lo carb; did NOT expect that, it was so cool) prevented it, then would awaken often. Now I fall asleep and stay asleep, it is like a freaking miracle.

FOR ME and for SOME (NOT FOR ALL) lo carb is fantastic; for those of us whose individual biochemistry utilizes carbs poorly, (I must be in this category), results can be dramatic.

I figure try several methods and see what works best (sounds so simple I know) as this can widely vary.

I have a vegan X5yr daughter who sailed through 2 pregnancies and looong lactations totally vegan and had big hearty babies; I needed meat galore when pregnant and lactating or I felt like crap. Individuality is a HUGE oft downplayed factor in diet/weight loss/fitness.
I do feel great on low carb during the day. It probably helps I am used to working out on an empty stomach. I don't train with heavy weights so it's not a problem having that stored glucose to burst during workouts.

Old 11-05-2017, 10:43 AM

48,518 posts, read 34,821,209 times
If I don't eat a healthy, carb dense snack before strength day I get very lightheaded during things like squats with weights. It has to be a small amount or it makes me want to throw up during the workout.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 11-06-2017, 05:26 PM

22,666 posts, read 36,779,658 times
When I first started keto (and didn't realize I was doing keto, I was on a sugar detox) I had insomnia for a few nights. I never have sleeping issues. Then came the keto flu and then I was over all of it. 15 pounds down so far!

Old 11-07-2017, 03:50 AM

3,563 posts, read 1,878,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
If I don't eat a healthy, carb dense snack before strength day I get very lightheaded during things like squats with weights. It has to be a small amount or it makes me want to throw up during the workout.
I'm getting a tad fascinated by the widely different ways responders to this thread react to carbs.
It illustrates how very differently we utilize macros; especially the opposite reactions, which brings me to why I quoted riaelise re:sodium and now you on this post.

I hardly call this a "work out" but my daily exercise which is a 2hr walk prob around 3 miles total, I feel GREAT and MORE energized if I don't eat at all beforehand. I normally go around 7 a.m unless it's too cold for the wee dog then I go at 11 a.m. and the 7 a.m walks without eating at all before I feel far peppier. Kinda like...zippy, like I can move faster.

I wish folks would realize individuality and not think because one way, say, HCLF, or HFLC didn't work, that a different approach mightn't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss