Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2010, 08:37 PM

1,188 posts, read 5,534,458 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LookinForMayberry View Post
I think it unfortunate that you've bred them. I don't advocate docking pieces off of any animal, but I don't advocate back yard breeding, either.
My thoughts exactly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2010, 03:29 AM

18,726 posts, read 33,390,141 times
I adopted an older Springer for my first dog. He was beautiful and had a docked tail. Whenever he wiggled with glee and would have been waving his tail, all I could think of was "amputee."
Also, I've seen my mutt dogs use their tails like rudders for balance when running.
I'm afraid to ask- do people just lop the tails off without any anesthetic?

Old 08-19-2010, 05:44 AM

5,064 posts, read 15,900,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamhunter65 View Post
I have the English Springer spaniel and the burrs we just cut out. I have thought of trimming tail down to stop it but she gets them all over and we cut or comb out.

Why in the world you quoted me and mentioned burrs, I've no idea. I never mentioned burrs. We do have a lot of burrs, but she has yet to get them on her tail, she is getting them on her whole body. But apparently their tails can suffer injury while hunting in the field. I just came across a site that details such injuries. I personally do not approve of docking an ESS's tail unless they are used for hunting, and then I *might* see the health benefits. (editing to say that after reading through some of the stories on this link, I do think in some breeds a long, intact tail could be hazardous, even just around the house)

Letters from owners of tail damaged dogs

I do a lot of hiking through woods, and plan to take my ESS with me. She does have a very long, thin tail, but hopefully that won't be a health risk.

Last edited by andthentherewere3; 08-19-2010 at 06:50 AM..

Old 08-19-2010, 06:22 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,027,833 times
Many years ago my then-boyfriend-now-husband and I brought home a pound puppy. They had told us it was an Irish setter mix, and that is what she looked like.
What we did not realize until later is that we had brought home a Vizsla mix. (Much later, we decided that the other part of her was probably English setter.)

Anyway, Maggie grew up, and so did her tail. The end of it was white, and she cheerfully banged it all over the place. It busted open and bled everywhere.
People would come over for dinner and end up with bloody legs from Maggie's tail. Blood splotches were all over the walls.
Against my boyfriend's wishes, I got her tail docked, and never regretted it.
The vet did a wonderful job, and Maggie was fine. She even looked more like a Vizsla, and ran along the mountain trails (and through our house) with no further damage.
She lived until 14, and was still retrieving tennis balls the week she died.
Vizsla
Tail

The breed standard calls for the tail to be docked to two-thirds of its original length. Although the remainder of the tail is strong, the third docked is thin and whip-like and is open to damage in the field

Old 08-19-2010, 09:23 AM

417 posts, read 1,068,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueWillowPlate View Post
Many years ago my then-boyfriend-now-husband and I brought home a pound puppy. They had told us it was an Irish setter mix, and that is what she looked like.
What we did not realize until later is that we had brought home a Vizsla mix. (Much later, we decided that the other part of her was probably English setter.)

Anyway, Maggie grew up, and so did her tail. The end of it was white, and she cheerfully banged it all over the place. It busted open and bled everywhere.
People would come over for dinner and end up with bloody legs from Maggie's tail. Blood splotches were all over the walls.
Against my boyfriend's wishes, I got her tail docked, and never regretted it.
The vet did a wonderful job, and Maggie was fine. She even looked more like a Vizsla, and ran along the mountain trails (and through our house) with no further damage.
She lived until 14, and was still retrieving tennis balls the week she died.
Vizsla
Tail

The breed standard calls for the tail to be docked to two-thirds of its original length. Although the remainder of the tail is strong, the third docked is thin and whip-like and is open to damage in the field
A friend of mine had a boxer with the same issue..whenever he would wag his tail and hit something, it would start bleeding. They had to warn people not to wear light colors when coming over because they could be "sprayed" with blood. If its for the dog's health, then yes dock..if its for the dog's benefit...i.e. hunting, etc. then yes but otherwise, for the "look", absolutely not. And it would be wonderful to improve breeding standards so that the dogs didn't have these brittle tails but there will always be BYBs out there.

Old 08-19-2010, 09:30 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,365,577 times
I vote no-dock.

Looks like from pictures that the tail of the aussies aren't much different from our collie's tail or that of some border collies. Yeah, you have to brush them, but it's not that big a deal. And the tails aren't tall like lab tails so you won't have to worry about them knocking stuff off tables.

Old 08-19-2010, 12:22 PM

1,049 posts, read 3,010,426 times
I have a Jack Russel Terror with NO docked tail. I wouldn't have him any other way. He shows a TON of expression through his tail. It's always entertaining when he is curious about something to see his tail slowly wagging like he's not quite sure if he should be excited or not. Love that little monster.

Old 08-19-2010, 12:47 PM

5,245 posts, read 16,431,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
I'm afraid to ask- do people just lop the tails off without any anesthetic?
Yep.

My parents had a female dobie that the sheriff's office my father worked for had imported as a working dog and then found her bite work wasn't even close to what they needed, so he bought her. They decided to breed her to the male they had at the sheriff's office that did have good bite work, hoping to get a litter of good working dogs. No genetic testing, etc. I was about 10 years old - what did I know?

Anyway, on the day they took the puppies in for their tail docking, I went in the room with the vet. I was horrified when he picked up the first puppy and grabbed a set of scissors and just cut the tail off. No anesthetic, nothing. I had to leave the room in tears.

Dew claws are done the same way. This video walks you through and shows them grabbing the dew claw with clamps, twisting and then cutting it off. Makes me sick.

If anyone plans on watching, just know ahead of time it does show the actual amputation, so if you're sensitive to it, skip it.

The vet from the comments seems knowledgable and many comments say he does it gently. I'm not sure how cutting off a part of the body with no pain management is considered gentle, but I didn't do 10+ years of vet school, so I guess I don't know anything.

IMO, cutting off any body part for purely medical reasons is sick and should be outlawed.

YouTube - Tail Docking and Dew Claw Removal in 2 Day-Old Pups:Torture or Not?

Old 08-19-2010, 03:06 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,365,577 times
There's no way I am going to be able to watch that video.

The last breeder we went to (for our smooth collie) said she absolutely did not do the dew claws nor was she an advocate of it.

Old 08-19-2010, 03:25 PM

2,709 posts, read 6,315,517 times
I vote "no dock."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs