Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2010, 04:32 PM

3,748 posts, read 12,402,890 times

Advertisements

I couldn't care less about what a "breed standard" says. Nature is the one that says whether a tail is long or short. However, if there is a MEDICAL REASON (i.e. broken or constantly open and bleeding) than yes, that would be a reason to dock a tail. No injury - no dock!

Last edited by Va-Cat; 08-19-2010 at 04:50 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2010, 04:43 PM

5,245 posts, read 16,425,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Va-Cat View Post
I could care less what a "breed standard" says. Nature is the one that says whether a tail is long or short. However, if there is a MEDICAL REASON (i.e. broken or constantly open and bleeding) than yes, that would be a reason to dock a tail. No injury - no dock!
I agree. And if done for medical reasons, it's done while they are under anesthetic and totally sedated.

Old 08-19-2010, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrs1885 View Post
I agree. And if done for medical reasons, it's done while they are under anesthetic and totally sedated.
Absolutely! Thank you for adding that.

Old 08-19-2010, 08:39 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,924,458 times
Quote:
I couldn't care less about what a "breed standard" says. Nature is the one that says whether a tail is long or short. However, if there is a MEDICAL REASON (i.e. broken or constantly open and bleeding) than yes, that would be a reason to dock a tail. No injury - no dock!
I disagree about "nature" being the determiner. Nature did not create the modern domesticated dog; man did. We bred them to standards and for their ability to aid us in the completion of certain tasks. Therefore, we have to make the best decisions based on breed and what role they will play in our lives. It is our responsibility. Sometime that means docking and removal of dew claws; more often it does not.

Old 08-19-2010, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
I disagree about "nature" being the determiner. Nature did not create the modern domesticated dog; man did. We bred them to standards and for their ability to aid us in the completion of certain tasks. Therefore, we have to make the best decisions based on breed and what role they will play in our lives. It is our responsibility. Sometime that means docking and removal of dew claws; more often it does not.
and I completely disagree with you. It is never a "responsibility" to inflict unnessesary pain on an animal for the sake of fashion.

Old 08-20-2010, 05:48 AM

5,064 posts, read 15,896,837 times
It's distressing to think that dew claws and tails are removed from young puppies without any kind of pain relief. Maybe there is a health risk from using an anesthetic?

I already discussed my view point of docking, but in regards to dew claws, all of our dogs kept their front dew claws. One of our border collies did rip one of them once, and required stitches. Our ESS did have her rear dew claws removed when she was a few days old. From researching, I read there is a higher rate of injury in dogs with rear dew claws, and since she'll be running through the woods every day that was a concern of mine, since I've been through it before. (some breeds do have rear dew claws)

Old 08-20-2010, 07:17 AM

Quote:
and I completely disagree with you. It is never a "responsibility" to inflict unnessesary pain on an animal for the sake of fashion.
Obviously you misunderstood my post. I never suggested any such thing as your above statement. My comments had absolutley nothing to do with "fashion". I'm a bit confused how you extrapolated that from my previous post.

Let me try to explain again: We have a responsibility to our dogs. Their breeds exist because of man. We have already messed with their bone structures, size, shape, through domestication and breeding. If we work our dogs or they live with us in such a manner that it is more beneficial to them that their dew claws should be removed and their tails docked than suffer injury later, we should be responsible enough to do just that.

I first was able to see my soon to be new pup at the age of day 4. The dew claws were removed and tail had already been docked. I couldn't even see any injury or signs of scab. I think it is more responsible to do this early rather than allow the dog to suffer injury of a broken or torn claw or tail later in life.

Life is never pain free either for humans or for the animals under our care. However, we can minimize that pain as responsible pet owners. Sometimes that means removing dew claws and docking tails early in life so that tramatic injury does not occur later in their lives. You don't have to agree however I think it is irresponsible to make any type of blanket statement that these thing should never be done or that they are unnecessary.

Old 08-20-2010, 08:06 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,347,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andthentherewere3 View Post
It's distressing to think that dew claws and tails are removed from young puppies without any kind of pain relief. Maybe there is a health risk from using an anesthetic?
It's universally accepted to do circumcisions on young male human infants with no anesthesia (and more for cultural rather than health reasons)...I guess animal mutilation falls under the same umbrella.

Old 08-20-2010, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
It's universally accepted to do circumcisions on young male human infants with no anesthesia (and more for cultural rather than health reasons)...I guess animal mutilation falls under the same umbrella.
Only difference is a human male has the ability to protest the practice and seek change(as you have done here).

To justify the practice as being done because of worries about future injuries for a working dog just doesn't hold water in most cases. Its just an excuse to justify the practice. Most dogs are not working dogs but family pets. Even in cases of working dogs, why cut off its tail just because it could be injured? Using that logic maybe all women should have mastectomies because they could develop cancer.

Old 08-20-2010, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
So basically you are stating a crude assumption rather than posting actual information that shows it is somehow safe to place a 1-2 day old pup under anesthesia.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs