Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2010, 07:36 PM

3,631 posts, read 14,559,654 times

Advertisements

Simple counterpoint - point to consider

Citronella No Bark Collars are more Humane than Static Shock Collars | The Truth About Shock Collars
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2010, 08:37 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,551,448 times
Well, I have to say it seems to be working. I kept it off during the day and put it back on this evening. After a few half-hearted barks, Ringo stayed quiet while out this evening. It must not be as much fun, though, because he wanted to come in sooner than usual.

He does seem a mite depressed about the whole thing.

I'm hoping that eventually, just putting the collar on will be enough, without the spray, to keep him quiet on my early mornings and I'll still be able to let him go out before bed without worrying we are getting kicked out of our HOA neighborhood.

Old 11-15-2010, 05:40 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,055,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
Well, I have to say it seems to be working. I kept it off during the day and put it back on this evening. After a few half-hearted barks, Ringo stayed quiet while out this evening. It must not be as much fun, though, because he wanted to come in sooner than usual.

I'm hoping that eventually, just putting the collar on will be enough, without the spray, to keep him quiet on my early mornings and I'll still be able to let him go out before bed without worrying we are getting kicked out of our HOA neighborhood.
YAY?

I know... it's no fun to do something that bothers your dog and stops him from having a grand old time. BUT... getting kicked out of your 'hood is a good reason.

Hopefully Ringo will learn that, when his collar is on, his yard becomes a no-barking zone.

Oooh, I'm going to let Artie out back now (7.39am) and see if it's working. I'll report back soon.

ETA: 7.49am. Went running out into the yard like his tail was on fire. Saw something -- who knows what. Barked twice. Ran around a tree. Barked again. All quiet on the western front. Came up on the deck and lay down until I opened the door for him to come back in.

Honestly, if it's just a couple of barks, I'm fine with it. But I know that if he wasn't being shpritzed, it would be an all-out barkfest. And seeing as he's the Barry White of the canine world, with that DEEP! LOUD! bark, well, what's a little shpritz between friends?

ETA2: 8.47am. Let Artie out again as a testing exercise. Put the collar on. He ran out like a madman again. Saw a squirrel. Did NOT bark. I suspect (read: I KNOW) that if his collar hadn't been on, he would have barked until it was up a tree and out of sight.

Last edited by DawnMTL; 11-15-2010 at 06:57 AM..

Old 11-15-2010, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post

I imagine it will be the same as the electronic collar as it is the SAME principal only a strong odor offends human sensibilities less than a shock.

The dog will ocassionally test it and if he fails to get the correction, all is lost.

I actually finally had a behaviorist come up with a positive approach to stop my truck barking dog. No more bark collar for him and it is amazing as I lost two years with other behaviorist type approaches befre I resorted to the bark collar. She was so amazing on this and other folks issues at a seminar that my search team is bringing her in to help us with all sorts of minor issues with team dogs.

We simply catch him being quiet and I run up to the truck and praise him and ignore the barks. In a few sessions I have a peaceful truck. The barking extinguished on its own because it got no results. Going to try that approach with my little yard barker when I have some time off to do it right. No compliants here but the HOA is brutal plus I don't want to offend my neighbors. I don't care about the board.

She said even hollering at him to be quiet - well that is a reward - same thing with people approaching the truck while he barked and giving him a treat for being quiet as it paid attention to the bark.

Old 11-15-2010, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grannynancy View Post
I imagine it will be the same as the electronic collar as it is the SAME principal only a strong odor offends human sensibilities less than a shock.

The dog will ocassionally test it and if he fails to get the correction, all is lost.

I actually finally had a behaviorist come up with a positive approach to stop my truck barking dog. No more bark collar for him and it is amazing as I lost two years with other behaviorist type approaches befre I resorted to the bark collar. She was so amazing on this and other folks issues at a seminar that my search team is bringing her in to help us with all sorts of minor issues with team dogs.

We simply catch him being quiet and I run up to the truck and praise him and ignore the barks. In a few sessions I have a peaceful truck. The barking extinguished on its own because it got no results. Going to try that approach with my little yard barker when I have some time off to do it right. No compliants here but the HOA is brutal plus I don't want to offend my neighbors. I don't care about the board.

She said even hollering at him to be quiet - well that is a reward - same thing with people approaching the truck while he barked and giving him a treat for being quiet as it paid attention to the bark.
I've tried ignoring Artie when he barks. He takes it as approval -- even as encouragement! -- to keep on keeping on with the barking.

I'm thrilled that ignoring the barks worked for you -- you're lucky! -- but it would never work for Artie. I wish that weren't the case, but it is.

Old 11-15-2010, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DandJ View Post
YAY?

I know... it's no fun to do something that bothers your dog and stops him from having a grand old time. BUT... getting kicked out of your 'hood is a good reason.

Hopefully Ringo will learn that, when his collar is on, his yard becomes a no-barking zone.

Oooh, I'm going to let Artie out back now (7.39am) and see if it's working. I'll report back soon.

ETA: 7.49am. Went running out into the yard like his tail was on fire. Saw something -- who knows what. Barked twice. Ran around a tree. Barked again. All quiet on the western front. Came up on the deck and lay down until I opened the door for him to come back in.

Honestly, if it's just a couple of barks, I'm fine with it. But I know that if he wasn't being shpritzed, it would be an all-out barkfest. And seeing as he's the Barry White of the canine world, with that DEEP! LOUD! bark, well, what's a little shpritz between friends?

ETA2: 8.47am. Let Artie out again as a testing exercise. Put the collar on. He ran out like a madman again. Saw a squirrel. Did NOT bark. I suspect (read: I KNOW) that if his collar hadn't been on, he would have barked until it was up a tree and out of sight.
OK, this was interesting. As the final test, I just let Artie out again, WITHOUT the collar: The barkfest was in full swing.

So, to recap:

1st outing, WITH collar: Two barks. Spray. Stop. One bark. Stop. That was it. He was done barking.

2nd outing, an hour later, WITH collar: Not one single bark. Presumably because he "knew" what the collar would do.

3rd outing, an hour later, WITHOUT collar: Barkfest.

Success? Hopefully.

Old 11-15-2010, 07:43 AM

Quote:
I've tried ignoring Artie when he barks. He takes it as approval -- even as encouragement! -- to keep on keeping on with the barking.

I'm thrilled that ignoring the barks worked for you -- you're lucky! -- but it would never work for Artie. I wish that weren't the case, but it is.
You know - it was the controlled situation. I am not lucky. I spent hours and hours over two years trying to fix this without corrections and did resort to the bark collar (and it did not shut down my dog)....

Then the right person helped me to do it using positive training..ignoring the barks alone would not work....I had to reinforce the right behavior (and will probably have to do it on an ongoing random basis). It was nothing short of miraculous.

Now, my little female may still wind up with the bark collar but if she can be fixed (and I will work on this over thanksgiving) any dog can be.

Old 11-15-2010, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grannynancy View Post
You know - it was the controlled situation. I am not lucky. I spent hours and hours over two years trying to fix this without corrections and did resort to the bark collar (and it did not shut down my dog)....

Then the right person helped me to do it using positive training..ignoring the barks alone would not work....I had to reinforce the right behavior (and will probably have to do it on an ongoing random basis). It was nothing short of miraculous.

Now, my little female may still wind up with the bark collar but if she can be fixed (and I will work on this over thanksgiving) any dog can be.
I used the word "lucky" incorrectly -- I think you're fortunate that you have the patience and the opportunity to correct the behavior. It's just that, at least in our yard, it's hard to get Artie's attention away from what's making him bark.

He's not a constant barker -- no, not at all -- but if there's a squirrel or something that's interesting, it's impossible (at least for me) to get his attention away from it.

Old 11-15-2010, 05:46 PM

Quote:
OK, this was interesting. As the final test, I just let Artie out again, WITHOUT the collar: The barkfest was in full swing.

So, to recap:

1st outing, WITH collar: Two barks. Spray. Stop. One bark. Stop. That was it. He was done barking.

2nd outing, an hour later, WITH collar: Not one single bark. Presumably because he "knew" what the collar would do.

3rd outing, an hour later, WITHOUT collar: Barkfest.

Success? Hopefully.
Sounds like success to me. I just got home from a HORRIBLE day at work only to find my father and son in an argument. Did I mention that my 89 year old father moved in with me and my teen-age son????

Aaaaaah!

Long story short, I mistakenly let Ringo out without his collar. HUGE barkfest going on right now. I mean non-stop. Soon, I'll have to get off of here and go get him.

Evenings and early mornings are the worst. I see his depression didn't last long.

I'll let you know if he is quiet when I let him out later tonight WITH the collar. He was quiet early this morning when he had his collar on.

Like Artie, I think Ringo has it figured out already. Collar on - no bark. Collar off - BARKY BARK BARK BARK!

I'm with you Dawn; I don't mind one or two barks; but he' doesn't even stop to breathe. Sigh.

This is what I would like to do right now to Ringo!

Old 11-15-2010, 06:44 PM

Ok. Here's the verdict. The bark collar works. Ringo came in after the above post and shortly thereafter, wanted back out.

I put the bark collar on him; and there is total peaceful quiet outside.

Everyone should be happy. He's figured how to not get sprayed; our neighbors won't despise us, and can get to bed early if they desire, and Ringo can bark during the day when everyone is at work.

I think that's a fair compromise for all; and I am not going to make myself feel guilty over it.

I feel a bit relieved, actually. I've been waiting on a letter of complaint from someone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs