Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2010, 10:38 AM

29,981 posts, read 42,930,375 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DandJ View Post
LOL!

Actually, all three times that we've seen a coyote, Artie stands stock-still as if he's just in awe. He doesn't bark -- he doesn't even MOVE.

It's my that's the big baby.

So, on those dark mornings, I want to just let Artie in the backyard (with the high fence that keeps coyotes out) but I don't want him to wake the neighbors.

I'm thinking that he might be a smarty-pants too, like your rescue. If he had thumbs, he'd just take the darn thing off and be done with it.

Anyway, it's been ordered so we may as well at least try it.

PS. No bear spray. And I hope I don't even ever have to use the pepper spray. (I'd likely be so nervous that I'd hold it backwards and just shpritz myself. Then Mr. Wile E. Coyote will have the last laugh.)
Dogs, as do wild animals usually "freeze" stock still when they see an unfamiliar animal, especially another predator. He is posturing, giving the coyote a read on his body language and similarly taking in the posturing by the coyote. Artie is not being a baby, his is assessing the threat level.

You never want to be so close to a coyote that you can use pepper spray. If it gets that close it has completely lost its fear of humans and may well be rabid.

Knowing how to quickly and effectively use OC spray is important as is knowing the wind direction as you are out walking Artie, should you need to use it. I suggest buying another sprayer as your "tester" so you can practice. Additionally, never, ever put your hands near your face after using the sprayer,until you have the opportunity to wash your hands thouroughly. It is nearly impossible not to get some of the OC on your fingers/hands.

Edited to add: This makes a nice little carry-all holster with a place for OC spray, cell phone, and doggie doodie bags, keys, etc...
http://www.lapolicegear.com/maadpo.html

Last edited by lifelongMOgal; 10-27-2010 at 11:23 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2010, 11:16 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,029,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
Dogs, as do wild animals usually "freeze" stock still when they see an unfamiliar animal, especially another predator. He is posturing, giving the coyote a read on his body language and similarly taking in the posturing by the coyote. Artie is not being a baby, his is assessing the threat level.

You never want to be so close to a coyote that you can use pepper spray. If it gets that close it has completely lost its fear of humans and may well be rabid.

Knowing how to quickly and effectively use OC spray is important as is knowing the wind direction as you are out walking Artie, should you need to use it. I suggest buying another sprayer as your "tester" so you can practice. Additionally, never, ever put your hands near your face after using the sprayer,until you have the opportunity to wash your hands thouroughly. It is nearly impossible not to get some of the OC on your fingers/hands.

You made me realize my typo -- it's ME being the big baby. Artie's being -- rarities of rarities! -- a good boy; no barking, lunging, or other nonsense.

Ahh! Thanks for the information on why the "stock-still" attitude. That's enlightening. Even more so because, after the coyote passed, Artie carried on like nothing happened. I guess they both thought that the other wasn't worth their time or energy, and just moved on. Fascinating.

And that's EXACTLY my worry about the spray -- that if the coyote is close enough for a shpritzing, I have bigger problems than I initially thought. Actually, that's good to know -- mostly in terms of that it's unlikely (I hope!) that I'd ever be in a position to use it.

Now get off this forum and start building a website or Etsy shop for your antlers!

Old 10-27-2010, 11:17 AM

HAHAHAHAHA!!! I just saw the holster. I'm going to be Patrol Queen of West Hartford, CT soon. Just watch and see.

Old 10-27-2010, 12:40 PM

9,352 posts, read 20,029,210 times
Quote:
HAHAHAHAHA!!! I just saw the holster. I'm going to be Patrol Queen of West Hartford, CT soon. Just watch and see.
as tiny as you are d, you'd have to wear it bandolier-style......

Old 10-27-2010, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by latetotheparty View Post
as tiny as you are d, you'd have to wear it bandolier-style......
HAHAHAHAHA!!!!! Exactly! I was thinking that I'd put it around my waist and it would reach my knees. Or... ankles!

Old 10-27-2010, 03:04 PM

5,142 posts, read 13,121,123 times
Quote:
HAHAHAHAHA!!!!! Exactly! I was thinking that I'd put it around my waist and it would reach my knees. Or... ankles!
Don't forget the pose: hands on your hips looking up at the air with serious look on face, he he!

Old 10-27-2010, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skeet09 View Post
Don't forget the pose: hands on your hips looking up at the air with serious look on face, he he!
Oh my God, C, it'll be like tryouts for Cops (that show on FOX or wherever). Or worse... tryouts for a show that I saw half a time: Reno 911!

Old 10-27-2010, 03:55 PM

5,094 posts, read 12,587,684 times
Dawn, The more I think of it you had better be careful of all the gadgets and belts, etc., or you may have the coyote bring his whole pack with him to "check out this one." I am thinking of the birds in the Windex commercial watching the humans and poking fun at them or even at the crows where I live waiting for Jazz to come out on a walk. They can get her going then all start cawing at her as she bounces up and down in frustration. They even fly off and bring others back as if to say "watch this crazy dog" then set her off again! Soon there will be coyotes selling tickets to other coyotes to come watch the "Morning Artie and Dawn show" wait you can be the Regis and Kelly of the coyote world!

Old 10-27-2010, 04:02 PM

553 posts, read 1,632,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dashdog View Post
Dawn, The more I think of it you had better be careful of all the gadgets and belts, etc., or you may have the coyote bring his whole pack with him to "check out this one." I am thinking of the birds in the Windex commercial watching the humans and poking fun at them or even at the crows where I live waiting for Jazz to come out on a walk. They can get her going then all start cawing at her as she bounces up and down in frustration. They even fly off and bring others back as if to say "watch this crazy dog" then set her off again! Soon there will be coyotes selling tickets to other coyotes to come watch the "Morning Artie and Dawn show" wait you can be the Regis and Kelly of the coyote world!
Hahahaha.

Dawn, I don't think it's fair for you to amuse us like this and then not post pictures of you and Artie "armed" for your walk.

I also think you sound like the best neighbor ever! Maybe you could get some of your consideration to rub off on one of my neighbors?

Old 10-27-2010, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dashdog View Post
Oh my gosh, I'm laughing so hard that I'm crying. HAHAHAHAHA!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogmomof2 View Post
Hahahaha.

Dawn, I don't think it's fair for you to amuse us like this and then not post pictures of you and Artie "armed" for your walk.

I also think you sound like the best neighbor ever! Maybe you could get some of your consideration to rub off on one of my neighbors?
There's no room in the holster for a camera, though!!!!

Thanks. I really like being a good neighbor. That sense of community is really important to me. In fact, when I moved here, I became friendly with a man around the corner who walks his two Labs. We got to be such close friends that we call each other on the phone all the time, do errands for each other, and go out for dinner together along with our spouses. And my neighbor next door calls me all the time to tell me that her kids want me to come into the backyard because they have a secret to tell me. I can't let Ooootie (that's what the kids call him) wake them up at 6am.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs