Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2011, 09:03 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,047,252 times

Advertisements

So, I had been hobbling around with a "bum ankle" for about two weeks. Morning walks with Artie were painful; by afternoon, it was torturous; and by evening, my husband had to take him for the last walk of the night. Thankfully we have the fenced-in back yard so that Artie could galivant all he wanted.

On Saturday morning, my husband convinced me that I should go to the clinic. The swelling was bad enough to visually see that something was obviously wrong, but when the doc touched my calf, I screeched. I told her that by mid-morning, I felt it in the Achilles tendon as well, and she thought that it might be gout. GOUT? "Unlikely," I told her, "my diet doesn't support that diagnosis." She nodded and said that was probably true.

She sent me down the hall for x-rays to see if something could be seen as troubling on the inside.

After she read the x-rays, she came back in to tell me that she's fairly sure that my fibula is fractured. I thought that this was OK until I asked her what the difference was between "fractured" and "broken," but then she said, "There's NO difference. A break is a fracture; a fracture is a break." Oh. I've been hobbling around on not a "bum ankle" but on a broken leg? Oh my.

She said that, if it is a break, it's a "good one" because the two pieces of my bone are perfectly aligned. She showed me the x-rays -- "Yup, I see it. Lovely. My legs look so thin!" (I know, I know, it was just the bones I was looking at. Shut up!)

This is going to be confirmed with the radiologist at the associated hospital. The x-rays are being sent today, they'll hear back tomorrow, and she'll call me on Tuesday or Wednesday with the verdict.

I blame Artie.

If it weren't for him, I wouldn't have to walk on rough terrain -- terrain that is made rough by frozen snow and ice -- on which I probably twisted it into a break. I guess I have weak bones. I got some calcium with vitamin D to toughen myself up, but I still blame Artie.

I'm on anti-inflammatories (that make me dizzy) and Vicodin (that make me dizzier).

I blame Artie.

If it weren't for him, and factoring in that I work from home, I'd never see the outdoors in the winter. And, adding insult to injury (every pun intended), he's not content to travel on the bare roads. Oh no. He (we) have to go up on lawns where the snow and ice are bumpy.

I blame Artie.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2011, 09:08 AM

6,591 posts, read 24,868,108 times
oh no! feel better!

Old 01-24-2011, 09:14 AM

553 posts, read 1,633,506 times
Fingers crossed you get a good report back from the doctor. If it is broken, the walking casts aren't terrible, but a cast would definitely curtail your walks! When Artie is pouting about his lack of walks, just tell him it's his fault

Odie broke my right ring finger when I was rollerblading with him back in 2004. A dog chased him and he veered off the path, and I managed to keep hold of his leash but it snapped my finger. I (stupidly) didn't go to the doctor and the finger hurt for a few years. I would make my husband crack it daily. It doesn't hurt anymore but it's still a bit bigger than the ring finger on my left hand. Glad you got your leg checked out sooner rather than later!

Old 01-24-2011, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxywench View Post
oh no! feel better!
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogmomof2 View Post
Fingers crossed you get a good report back from the doctor. If it is broken, the walking casts aren't terrible, but a cast would definitely curtail your walks! When Artie is pouting about his lack of walks, just tell him it's his fault

Odie broke my right ring finger when I was rollerblading with him back in 2004. A dog chased him and he veered off the path, and I managed to keep hold of his leash but it snapped my finger. I (stupidly) didn't go to the doctor and the finger hurt for a few years. I would make my husband crack it daily. It doesn't hurt anymore but it's still a bit bigger than the ring finger on my left hand. Glad you got your leg checked out sooner rather than later!
Thanks!

A few years??? OMG! You have a high threshold for pain. I don't; I just hate doctors!

I've come to this conclusion after hearing your story, coupled with my own: Dogs are dangerous. HA!

Old 01-24-2011, 09:17 AM

3,749 posts, read 12,410,031 times
Awww - don't blame that sweet boy. He was just being.....ARTIE!

You and my DH would make quite a sight walking down the road together. Sammie tangled the leashes the other night while everyone was out walking and DH did a face plant. He is now blaming....Sammie!

He is nursing a sprained knee, and I'm getting lots of exercise doing all the dog walking.

As for you madam....Glad its a clean break (that should heal up fine) and hope that your DH helps out till you are on your feet again!

As for Artie.....I'm sure he is just wondering why you won't come out and play!

Old 01-24-2011, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Va-Cat View Post
Awww - don't blame that sweet boy. He was just being.....ARTIE!

You and my DH would make quite a sight walking down the road together. Sammie tangled the leashes the other night while everyone was out walking and DH did a face plant. He is now blaming....Sammie!

He is nursing a sprained knee, and I'm getting lots of exercise doing all the dog walking.

As for you madam....Glad its a clean break (that should heal up fine) and hope that your DH helps out till you are on your feet again!

As for Artie.....I'm sure he is just wondering why you won't come out and play!
LOL! I don't REALLY blame him. He's been a great snuggling partner (as he always is, actually) since I've been spending so much time lying down.

Oh my, your poor DH! CRAZY! I hope his knee heals ASAP!

Old 01-24-2011, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DandJ View Post
LOL! I don't REALLY blame him. He's been a great snuggling partner (as he always is, actually) since I've been spending so much time lying down.

Oh my, your poor DH! CRAZY! I hope his knee heals ASAP!
Yeah - DH is being very stoic about the pain he is in Glad the man never had to go through child birth!

Of course thats all said in fun but I am wondering if he is milking it to get out of the evening dog walks Not as much fun to walk them when it 40 degrees outside and its raining.

Old 01-24-2011, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Yeah - DH is being very stoic about the pain he is in Glad the man never had to go through child birth!

Of course thats all said in fun but I am wondering if he is milking it to get out of the evening dog walks Not as much fun to walk them when it 40 degrees outside and its raining.
Lady, it was -9 (yes, that's MINUS NINE) when I was walking Artie this morning. I'd sell a kidney (not mine, though) for 40 degrees!

Old 01-24-2011, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DandJ View Post
Lady, it was -9 (yes, that's MINUS NINE) when I was walking Artie this morning. I'd sell a kidney (not mine, though) for 40 degrees!
Bahahahahahahahaha I guess our blood has thinned living down here. 40 degrees is cold! Even my dogs don't want to go outside for more than a few minutes! Exactly who's kidney did you have in mind

Old 01-24-2011, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Bahahahahahahahaha I guess our blood has thinned living down here. 40 degrees is cold! Even my dogs don't want to go outside for more than a few minutes! Exactly who's kidney did you have in mind
There's one neighbor of mine who I loathe -- I'll sell HIS kidney! Gladly!

This weather makes me long to move to Florida (where my husband is from) but he keeps reminding me that then I'd complain about the heat and humidity. He's right. I just need a good middle ground, which sounds to me like where you are... until I get used to it, like you've done. Sigh...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs