Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2011, 05:24 AM

9,352 posts, read 20,032,749 times

Advertisements

i was going to suggest a martingale type collar, too ..... we use them on transports to minimize the chances of the dogs backing out of their collars at handoffs.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2011, 09:08 PM

4,731 posts, read 9,947,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
Get another Harness & rub it down real good with BenGay! Bet she wont chew it! Give her a Huge chewy to keep her busy LOL
ROFL -- I'd come home and she'd be covered in drool-scicles I'd have to give her a Kong with peanut butter, once that starts to freeze up inside she'll be busy for hours

Old 12-19-2011, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
OP noted that completely fencing the acreage is in the plan, but hasn't happened yet. I'd imagine that digging holes this time of year in Alaska's interior would be challenging.
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxywench View Post
what you mean they dont have magical ground thawing drills in every backyard up in the frozen north?! :P
Umm... yeah... the ground is completely frozen solid (and under 5' of snow), I couldn't even pound in a rebar spike with my 10 lb sledge. We've got permafrost as well, so digging in the summer isn't always easy either... dig a foot, fill it with charcoal and let it burn for a few hours to thaw out, dig another foot, rinse, lather, repeat. It took the entire day to sink her anchor pipe down 4'.

Old 12-20-2011, 02:09 AM

184 posts, read 702,976 times
PetSafe The Box Chain Link Dog Runs - Dog Runs and Outdoor Dog Kennel Runs from petco.com ?

Old 12-20-2011, 06:35 AM

This might work if I anchor it down really well and figure a way to keep her from digging out under the bottom. We put in one similar at a friend's house and she escaped out the bottom in less than 15 minutes

Old 12-20-2011, 09:19 AM

13,927 posts, read 39,302,018 times
When we lived in Flordia our neighbor had a dog he couldnt keep in. Sand like snow also has it problems. That GSD would push the fence over & be out!! They put in pipes with 5 gal buckets of cement 3 ft deep! & the dog still got out! The finaly just tie him to a line between 2 trees! The only thing he couldnt get loose from! I felt sorry for him but he was too dangerous to turn loose!

Old 12-20-2011, 09:37 AM

6,591 posts, read 24,862,283 times
yeah missing the only thing i could think of in terms of pen would be a concrete floor or burying a chianlink apron at least 2 ft deep, ovbiously both posing challenges of thier own in a permafrost zone.

couple good solid trees could work with stoppers on the run line so she couldnt wrap herself around one of the trees...but if theres no good trees your kinda limited to where and when you can plant those posts.

Old 12-20-2011, 10:15 AM

How about a run between 2 buildings! You home & another building on the property?

Old 12-20-2011, 10:39 AM

We'll probably run the line between the cabin (the only building we've had time to build on the property yet) and a good sunken post a hundred or so yards out that will give her plenty of room to run until we get the fences in (assuming the fences will hold her -- oy vay!). We have a few larger trees that might work, but most of them are shallow-rooted spruce which she has no problem ripping right out of the ground. Since we live in the forest, a ground stake is dangerous because she does wrap herself up; but a trolley run should work because we can just clear that strip out for her and just give her enough slack that she can sit in the shade/shelter and potty (she will not poop where anyone can see her -- weirdest dog ever) without being able to get wrapped around anything.

I'm hoping that the combination of a snugging Martingale collar with a heavy-duty harness both clipped to the trolley lead will be enough to keep her from slipping out of or chewing through it. I love my dog... I love my dog... I love my dog...

Old 12-20-2011, 10:44 AM

LOL They can be a challenge! Is there a reason you cant turn her loose? Surely she stay near home!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs