Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2012, 09:49 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,863,876 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOriginalMrsX View Post
OMG my neighbor just did this to a neighbor who lives a block away. He lets his dog off the leash on their walks and allows the dogs to poop on others lawns especially hers. She started collecting all the poop in a zip lock freezer bag and froze a months worth of poop. She dumped it on his lawn last Saturday!!!!!!!!!!

People are so inconsiderate! People should pick up their own dog poop. I know I do!
I had a neighbor who did that at the last apartment complex I lived in. There was a family with four large dogs, and they took the dogs right out in front of the building to poop in the narrow strip of grass there. The smell and the clouds of flies were terrible. There was another neighbor with a very fast 18 month old son, and after the third time he had to clean poop off of his son's shoes, he got his shovel out of his truck and he picked up all the poop, then left it in a big pile right against the dog-owner's front doorstep.

Of course in a house there are other issues...if the next door neighbor doesn't pick up their dog poop from their own yard, you will get flies and odor when you open your back door. You should have seen the look on my neighbor's face when he asked if I knew of any kind of pesticide or bug zapper for the huge fly problem we were having, and I told him the only way to get rid of the flies is to pick up all the dog poop out of your yard every week. (of course I make my kids do it...one of them gives me attitude at least once a week and gets sent out there with the pooper scooper.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2012, 11:02 PM

3,748 posts, read 12,402,184 times
LOL I guess it was about 2 years ago now that I was accused of "terroristic threats" because I chased a woman who had just let her dog poop on our lawn again We have continually had 3 or more dogs for years now. We never leave the house with them without having cleanup bags either in a pocket or in my purse. We buy the florescent bio-degradable bags so everyone knows we are picking up as we walk along.

Not to pick on people that love small breeds but at least from my experience they are the worst offenders. I guess they justify it by thinking "its such a small mess, no one will notice." Well yeh - I DO notice it when I have to hose if off my shoes!

Old 05-20-2012, 01:54 AM

3,016 posts, read 3,908,800 times
I don't pick up after my dog because I have a 9lb Maltese, that when he does go to the bathroom it is usually in an area with bushes, landscaping and or grass and it is about the size of a a few marbles - and it is naturally bio-degradable and/or small insects and flies find it and begin feeding off of whatever nutrients they think it might contain.

Old 05-20-2012, 06:46 AM

7,329 posts, read 16,420,607 times
This subject comes up over and over, and I think Skydive is the first person to actually state s/he doesn't pick up after their dog. If you step in dog poop, it doesn't matter if it's only "a few marbles". And what makes you think no one minds poop on their grass or in landscaping? If you don't care, be aware that there are nuts out there who will take it out on your dog if provoked enough. They have posted to that effect on similar threads before.
And if you think that amount of poop isn't a big deal, then what's the big deal about picking it up?? It's not a big deal to me that I have to pick up my dogs' XL poop. It's just a fact of life as a dog owner.

Last edited by subject2change; 05-20-2012 at 07:18 AM..

Old 05-21-2012, 12:08 PM

9,352 posts, read 20,024,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Va-Cat View Post
LOL I guess it was about 2 years ago now that I was accused of "terroristic threats" because I chased a woman who had just let her dog poop on our lawn again We have continually had 3 or more dogs for years now. We never leave the house with them without having cleanup bags either in a pocket or in my purse. We buy the florescent bio-degradable bags so everyone knows we are picking up as we walk along.

Not to pick on people that love small breeds but at least from my experience they are the worst offenders. I guess they justify it by thinking "its such a small mess, no one will notice." Well yeh - I DO notice it when I have to hose if off my shoes!
LOL ... i was thinking about that story as I was reading this thread......

Quote:
Originally Posted by subject2change View Post
This subject comes up over and over, and I think Skydive is the first person to actually state s/he doesn't pick up after their dog. If you step in dog poop, it doesn't matter if it's only "a few marbles". And what makes you think no one minds poop on their grass or in landscaping? If you don't care, be aware that there are nuts out there who will take it out on your dog if provoked enough. They have posted to that effect on similar threads before.
And if you think that amount of poop isn't a big deal, then what's the big deal about picking it up?? It's not a big deal to me that I have to pick up my dogs' XL poop. It's just a fact of life as a dog owner.

AMEN.... the ONLY time I do not pick up poop is when Dave goes in the creek or if it is in such dense brush, I can not get to it easily, (bailey is a modest girl)..... i walk bailey and dave on the atv trails in a couple of patches of woods about a mile from my house.....

and yes, little dogs make little poops... almost seems to be a waste of a poop bag.... but poop is poop and still stinks up your shoe when you step in it and still attracts flies... .... no matter how large or small......

Old 05-22-2012, 02:50 PM

1,684 posts, read 3,953,640 times
a thought crossed my mind this morning while walking the white tornado - my maltese. Do you carry the bags back to your trash can, or use the neighbors if they're out. this morning may neighbors had their cans out - and I have always carried mine back to my can... considered dropping it in a neighbors can, but carried it back to mine. No problem carrying it, just the thought popped in my head.

Old 05-22-2012, 03:19 PM

5,094 posts, read 12,585,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydive Outlaw View Post
I don't pick up after my dog because I have a 9lb Maltese, that when he does go to the bathroom it is usually in an area with bushes, landscaping and or grass and it is about the size of a a few marbles - and it is naturally bio-degradable and/or small insects and flies find it and begin feeding off of whatever nutrients they think it might contain.

Many years ago when I was involved with a group called Dog Pac that was trying to get leash free areas for dogs here in town we heard this same story over and over when we were out on clean up days. Yes we actually targeted places where lots of dogs walked and spent the day cleaning up all the poop and usually ended up with a couple hundred pounds. The fun part was talking to dog walkers and sometimes having them stop and join in the clean up.

The # 1 argument against off leash dogs was the poop issue so we educated the public that leash dogs poop too and we educated the dog owners too. People that say well my dog makes marble sized poops drove us nuts as people still step on it and get it on their shoes and as for the bio-degradable crap well unless you dog is eating a 100% natural diet with NO type of preservatives it is not biodegradable.It may take a very long time to break down if it does break down.

It does not matter what size it is you need to clean up after your dog! Dog Pac did make a huge difference as a result of all that hard work there is a leash free beach and several leash free parks and yes people that use them do a pretty good job of cleaning up and when they see an owner not cleaning up they get on them about it as these places mean a lot to dog owners here and we do not want to lose them and believe me the antidog people do keep an eye on things and make noise to do away with these areas. There are people here that feel dogs should not even be out in public so why give them any fuel for their fire? If you taking your dog out shove a plastic pag in your pocket or tie it to the dogs collar or leash as it amazes me when people say " I don't have a bag" what were you thinking taking a dog out with out one?

Old 05-22-2012, 05:32 PM

9,352 posts, read 20,024,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by littlelou View Post
a thought crossed my mind this morning while walking the white tornado - my maltese. Do you carry the bags back to your trash can, or use the neighbors if they're out. this morning may neighbors had their cans out - and I have always carried mine back to my can... considered dropping it in a neighbors can, but carried it back to mine. No problem carrying it, just the thought popped in my head.

I asked this very question a couple of years ago......

see post #22 in this thread: http://www.city-data.com/forum/dogs/...og-poop-3.html

quite a lively discussion ensued.....

Old 05-22-2012, 06:06 PM

7,329 posts, read 16,420,607 times
^^I read the old thread, and it got me thinking- this is a poop thread and Dawn hasn't posted one time!!! How times have changed!

Old 05-22-2012, 06:41 PM

5,094 posts, read 12,585,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by subject2change View Post
^^I read the old thread, and it got me thinking- this is a poop thread and Dawn hasn't posted one time!!! How times have changed!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs