Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2013, 09:17 AM

6,473 posts, read 6,679,753 times

Advertisements

Eeeeew! I have never seen young children at a dog park, but I agree with the person who said to contact the park people. To allow a child to crawl around or walk barefoot in what is essentially a great big dog potty is beyond disgusting and dangerous. And if an aggressive dog were to bite a child's face, the entire park would probably be shut down and the dog euthanized. It's just not fair.

But since you can't be there 24/7 to instill common sense into unthinking parents, getting signs posted (and enforced) would be a step in the right direction.

You could also write a letter to the editor of your local paper, or maybe see if you could get an article about this topic published in a local parents newsletter or magazine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2013, 12:46 PM

537 posts, read 1,768,450 times
our dog parks have signs posted that children under the age of 12 are not allowed.

Sometimes the parents ignore or don't see the signs, but there's always a doggie-parent that has no qualms about speaking up.

Old 02-11-2013, 01:00 PM

5,094 posts, read 12,590,447 times
Thanks for the replies, as for signs well there is a sign but we all know that many people either do not read signs or feel that sign is for everyone except themselves,Or I will say it works as well as the sign that says dogs must be on leash outside the park gates yet 3/4 of the people pull up park on the street open the car door and let Fido run leash free to the park gate.

A good friend's daughter's boy friend is a film major and has made some commercials for various contests maybe I can get him to make a PSA commercial and we can get it played on the local TV station or at least on You Tube and have it passed round on Facebook.

I have commented to a few parents about the barefeet and they reply " she/he does not like to wear shoes".

I don't know if any of you watched the Monsters Inside Me series on Animal planet but there was one about a little boy that lost his eyesight because of a parasite that they figured he picked up by playng in dirt that dogs had pottied in so everytime I see these barefoot kids my mind flashes to that and the heartbreak for that family and child. I would hate to see something that could be prevented happen to some child.

As for the child breaking a hip yeah I can see that happening as when a dogs are running and playing they tend to not even notice the people standing there. I thought I was safe one day by standing along the fence and had just turned away when the group clipped my knee and took me down.
The park has a pretty regular group of dogs and they are really nice dogs that seem very child proof but a young child could easily be hurt in play with aggression not even being in the picture. One of my dogs is a sighthound that can run at 30mph+ and while he is thin and delicate and a very gentle dog being hit at that speed can take any one down... So imagine being hit by a big lab .

We even had a mom with a toddler walking and a baby in a stroller come in with both and sure enough a group of large dogs playing chase ran into them taking mom and toddler down AND knocking over the stroller.Good thing no one was hurt but the toddler was very frightened and yet mom stayed.

So thanks again, I just wanted to get that barefoot issue out there as I really think many people do not know how dangerous parasites can be and how easy it is to get one at a place like a dog park.

Old 02-11-2013, 01:01 PM

1,515 posts, read 2,274,378 times
I wouldn't be a fan of kids at a dog park either. We have one close by but haven't taken our dog there yet. With small kids running around frisky, excited dogs, it seems to be a recipe for disaster.

Old 02-11-2013, 04:32 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,820,680 times
Dang. Someone needs to put those kids on a leash!

After I saw our first born picking up some cat poo and sticking it in her mouth, I stopped being squeamish about what they got into. We have had showers and disinfectant soap since before they were born.

Our kids ahve visited dog parks and dog beach with us since they were able to walk. We even allowed our kids to play in the back yard where our dogs, cats, chickens, coyotes, foxes, geese, deer, Canaries, raccoons, great blue herons, mink, probably some cows and pigs at some time itn the past have peed and pooped for centuries. We drink and bathe in water that has been flushed through seven toilets on average (or so I am told). I will not even begin to get into what we swim in.

People are actually very very good about picking up after their dogs at the parks and beaches we have visited. IF someone fails, there is usually osmoene around to vehemently remind them.

There are thousands of horrible things that cna happen to kids and do happen to one in a million of them. We cannto protect them from all these unlikely things. We can ruin their lives trying though. We have always had the philosophy of letting our kids LIVE. The nanny state and helicopter parenting really makes me annoyed.

Last edited by Coldjensens; 02-11-2013 at 04:41 PM..

Old 02-11-2013, 04:41 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,706,825 times
People who let their kids run barefoot in a park, especially a dog park, have zero interest in parasites, rusty nails, broken glass, etc. They do not think it's an important thing to worry about, especially not coming from a stranger. You might have some luck advising parents to give dogs their space, but the barefoot issue is way beyond the scope of your influence.

Old 02-11-2013, 04:43 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,221,586 times
Gees. I couldn't agree with you more. I would never consider let a child run around strange dogs in a dog park for all the reasons you've stated. Irresponsible parenting imo

Last edited by JanND; 02-11-2013 at 04:55 PM.. Reason: edit text

Old 02-11-2013, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
People who let their kids run barefoot in a park, especially a dog park, have zero interest in parasites, rusty nails, broken glass, etc. They do not think it's an important thing to worry about, especially not coming from a stranger. You might have some luck advising parents to give dogs their space, but the barefoot issue is way beyond the scope of your influence.
When they step on a rusty nail, you take them to the Dr. and get them a shot. If they step in poo, you wash it off. If they crawl in poo, you do a lot of washing.

I do not see a dog park as any more of a potty than any other outdoor place. Do dogs potty less when they are on a leash?

Persoanlly I hate shoes and wear them as little as possible. I can hardly require my kids to do otherwise without being hypocritical.

If you step in poo barefoot, at least you know it and you do not then track it all over the house ad lay on it for the next ten years.

Old 02-11-2013, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanND View Post
Gees. I couldn't agree with you more. I would never consider let a child run around strange dogs in a dog park for all the reasons you've stated. Irresponsible parenting imo

I m proud to be considered an irresponsible parent. I fully plan on being an irresponsible grandparent too - at least by this definition.

Old 02-11-2013, 08:40 PM

3,574 posts, read 14,344,765 times
Interesting. I'm the dog owner with the Rottweilor (or some other large breed). Since the dog park is fenced, it is the only place he is permitted to run free with the other dogs and not to be on leash. I really resent having to restrict him because adults can't read a warning sign or seem unable to control their children.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs