Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2013, 05:55 PM

3,513 posts, read 6,377,015 times

Advertisements

I don't usually go looking on Petfinder but did this evening and found these two senior black dogs.

Petfinder Adoptable | Dog | Flat-coated Retriever | Prattville, AL | Maggie 19504

I don't know if they do out of state adoptions but I've emailed them and hope to hear that they do.

They are pretty far away but hopefully we'd have no trouble getting them on a transport since there are so many coming up from the deep south and heading in my direction.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2013, 07:20 PM

795 posts, read 4,538,319 times
Aww, good luck!

I fostered a chocolate lab this summer, and neither his adopter nor I could stand the thought of the transport that the rescue had planned for him. (He was afraid of cars and crates and some people, though I worked with him through the worst of those fears in his short time with me.) The transport would have been 8-9 people driving him in legs for over 15 hours. So, his adopter and I agreed to do the transport ourselves and meet in the middle between our states, cutting the time to 10 hours and the lab's stress level in half at least.

Anyway, my point was not that you should do that -- simply that sometimes things can work out in fantastic and surprising ways! I hope this works out that way for you!

P.S. Those dogs are really cute!

Old 11-17-2013, 07:21 PM

5,094 posts, read 12,588,711 times
I hope they do out of state adoptions! Chaos came from a shelter in Texas and I am in Calif so that shelter did do out of state adoptions so it is possible. Being she was a puppy I did fly there to get her as transport would have taken too long as it was she ended up boarded at at Texas vet's office for about a week until I could get there as the friend that pulled her for me could not take her home. But that actually turned out great as that vets office spoiled her and she still ( 2 yrs later) thinks vets are the greatest and acts like we are at Disneyland when we do go to the vets! She also had giardia so they started the treatment on that so she did not bring it home to Dazzle or Phoenix .

I really think it is great that you may get a bonded senior pair! Best of luck!

Old 11-17-2013, 08:07 PM

3,605 posts, read 9,059,576 times
They're beautiful! I hope it works out, please keep us posted.

Old 11-18-2013, 12:48 AM

10,420 posts, read 14,602,965 times
What about a blind puppy and his brother near Philadelphia? There's currently another thread about this.

Blind puppy and his guide dog brother looking for forever home together » DogHeirs | Where Dogs Are Family « Keywords: Operation Ava, blind dog, Puppy, brothers

Old 11-18-2013, 06:10 AM

3,513 posts, read 6,377,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
It sounds like they already have lots of applications and one of them is bound to be a good home. Here's what they had to say:
[LEFT]
We are still in the process of reviewing applications for these guys, as well as all of the other dogs at Operation Ava. We've received such a huge response to this photo, it's been incredible. I would like to take this opportunity to point out that those of you in California, Georgia, Michigan, and even Nigeria (yes I fielded a call from Nigeria yesterday morning) should take a look at your local shelters. You'd be surprised how many amazing stories and pups you can find in your own backyard. I'll be sure to keep you guys updated on Jeffrey and Jermaine in the mean time. Just keep in mind that just because they haven't been adopted in the past 24 hours, this isn't a bad thing. We need time to fully review every applicant for every dog in our shelter and find them all forever homes. Anybody on here interested in applying to adopt Jermaine and Jeffrey, or any other dog in our shelter should go to Adopt | Operation Ava and fill out the application. Thanks again for all of the concern!

I limit myself to senior dogs who generally have a much harder time getting adopted.

Old 11-18-2013, 02:28 PM

4,876 posts, read 4,206,170 times
Good luck and I hope it works out for you!

I adopted a bonded pair (not seniors) of basenji's years ago...best decision ever! Transport was not going to work with the rescue I was using, but they weren't that far away. I drove 10 hours through a snow/ice storm to get them.

Worth. Every. Mile.

Edit: just noticed you live in Floyd. I drove from Hampton to the Asheville area to get my dogs.

Old 11-18-2013, 03:39 PM

159 posts, read 169,137 times
Good luck, I hope you hear back from them with good news!

Old 11-18-2013, 06:21 PM

537 posts, read 1,768,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zugor View Post
I don't usually go looking on Petfinder but did this evening and found these two senior black dogs.

Petfinder Adoptable | Dog | Flat-coated Retriever | Prattville, AL | Maggie 19504

I don't know if they do out of state adoptions but I've emailed them and hope to hear that they do.

They are pretty far away but hopefully we'd have no trouble getting them on a transport since there are so many coming up from the deep south and heading in my direction.
Zugor,
Are you set on a breed? I just found out today that there are 3 Australian Shepherds in New Mexico that just lost their master. The daughter is looking to re-home these dogs and really wants to keep the two males together since they are litter mates; she sees no issue re-homing the female separately. The female is a red merle, 9 years old. The two males are blue merle and red merle. They are 6 years old. The post that I saw said that they are full-blooded Australian Shepherd. They are healthy. They are well mannered and well socialized. The daughter is moving them from NM to Colorado this weekend so she can find homes for them.
PM me if you would like a direct contact to the daughter.

Old 11-18-2013, 11:55 PM
ZSP

1,765 posts, read 5,120,525 times
Best of luck to you...they are beautiful and thank you for adopting rather than shopping.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs