Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2008, 05:42 PM

5,715 posts, read 15,044,060 times

Advertisements

I bought my dog some Diamond Dog Food last month. It was their Natural for Large Breeds.

After a couple of weeks, I realized that he had developed really bad diarrhea and was getting sick... really sick. He got to where he didn't want to eat the food....

I bought him some different food and now he's doing fine. It only took a couple of feedings for everything to get back to normal - if you know what I mean.

I happened to look on the internet and found that Diamond dog food has recently had a huge problem with bad food. Dogs even died from their food.

Has anyone had a recent bad experience with Diamond dog food? Does anyone know where I can send the remaining food to get it tested to see if it's poisoned?

Does the FDA oversee dog food???

Last edited by World Citizen; 05-07-2008 at 06:03 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2008, 06:22 PM

5,981 posts, read 18,268,930 times
Yes, food must meet FDA regulations. I think the first thing I would be doing is seeing if by some chance you got a contaminated bag somehow by checking with the manufacturer or retailer. Here's a link to a recall they had, the info is about 3 weeks old...but this recall was last year, so I can hardly believe you could have still gotten a bag of it.

Browse Pet Food Recalls - Dog - Diamond Pet Food

The only thing I would say is that sometimes going from a lower quality food to a higher quality, or even just switching brands, will cause diarrhea and some stomach upset because it is just "richer" in protein, and they will go off their food until they kind of adjust sometimes, but then their systems straighten out. The chances are higher than not that the food didn't agree with your dog; still, I'd be calling Diamond to find out if there's any more recent info. It's also possible something could have gotten into the bag while it was sitting in a warehouse or something.

Old 05-07-2008, 06:57 PM

1,477 posts, read 7,909,568 times
Daimond Naturals contains beet pulp, which some dogs don't tolerate well, resulting in digestive problems. Perhaps that's what's bothering your dog. As noted above, a slow transition to a new food will often address this issue by giving the gut time to compensate.

As Sam I Am noted, sometimes dog food does go bad. Food that gets damp can develop mycotoxins, which are fungal growths that are poisonous to animals. Diamond did have a recall of some food due to mycotoxin in 2006, so I agree that you definitely should contact them.

Old 05-07-2008, 07:41 PM

5,715 posts, read 15,044,060 times
It wasn't an immediate reaction - as in switching over. It took a couple of weeks (more than 1/2 bag of the food) for this to fully develop.

Almost as soon as he ate it was going out the other end... if you know what I mean.

This food was recommended at the store - actually a cheaper brand than the food I usually feed. I am returning it to them... and, I will also email Diamond.

I posted this because if there are other people's dogs having problems currently - with the NATURAL for Large Breeds - they need to know about my experience...

Thank God my baby's acting normal again! I thought he was dying.

I would really like to know who would test this food for mycotoxins. I guess I don't trust Diamond foods to fess up to the truth after all the bad press they've had. If they're still selling food that makes dogs sick they should be found out!

Last edited by World Citizen; 05-07-2008 at 08:01 PM..

Old 08-29-2008, 10:10 AM

2 posts, read 30,280 times
Default Diamond Dog Food

I too purchased Diamond Naturals Large breed and have had problems with diarrhea. At the time I was switching foods, I also noticed that my 8 mo. old lab had tapeworm. Took a stool sample to the vet and got wormer for him. At the time I attributed the diarrhea to the worms, now however, After being on a rice and chicken diet for a week I have tried to transition him back to the food and he is having diarrhea again. He was fine on the rice. I am going to try switching him to "Chicken Soup" which has gotten rave reviews everywhere I've looked. It is a little more expensive, but not as much as some of the others, its also better than getting up at night to take him out!

Old 08-29-2008, 11:02 AM

4,334 posts, read 13,660,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by World Citizen View Post
I bought my dog some Diamond Dog Food last month. It was their Natural for Large Breeds.

After a couple of weeks, I realized that he had developed really bad diarrhea and was getting sick... really sick. He got to where he didn't want to eat the food....

I bought him some different food and now he's doing fine. It only took a couple of feedings for everything to get back to normal - if you know what I mean.

I happened to look on the internet and found that Diamond dog food has recently had a huge problem with bad food. Dogs even died from their food.

Has anyone had a recent bad experience with Diamond dog food? Does anyone know where I can send the remaining food to get it tested to see if it's poisoned?

Does the FDA oversee dog food???
That was the number one recall! Diamond Pet Food Company!

Old 08-29-2008, 11:03 AM

3,631 posts, read 14,551,923 times
You have to realize that Diamond is probably the biggest pet food manufacturer in the Country so, now, if you buy Canidae, Taste of the Wild, Chicken Soup, and a whole lot more it is made by Diamond Brands. I have seen reports where people have complained about identifiable corn showing up in their corn-free dog foods.

Old 08-29-2008, 11:08 AM

3,722 posts, read 4,308,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam I Am View Post
Yes, food must meet FDA regulations. I think the first thing I would be doing is seeing if by some chance you got a contaminated bag somehow by checking with the manufacturer or retailer. Here's a link to a recall they had, the info is about 3 weeks old...but this recall was last year, so I can hardly believe you could have still gotten a bag of it.

Browse Pet Food Recalls - Dog - Diamond Pet Food

The only thing I would say is that sometimes going from a lower quality food to a higher quality, or even just switching brands, will cause diarrhea and some stomach upset because it is just "richer" in protein, and they will go off their food until they kind of adjust sometimes, but then their systems straighten out. The chances are higher than not that the food didn't agree with your dog; still, I'd be calling Diamond to find out if there's any more recent info. It's also possible something could have gotten into the bag while it was sitting in a warehouse or something.
Something to remember, when switching brands is to mix the food for the first two weeks. What you do is take 70% of the old food and mix in 30% of the new for the first two days. Go to a 60/40 ratio for the next two days and a 50/50 for the following two. After the two days of a 50/50 mix you would increase the ratio of the new food to 60% and 40% of the old and follow the same pattern in reverse. It's much easier on their tummys.

Old 08-29-2008, 11:10 AM

3,722 posts, read 4,308,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondie621 View Post
That was the number one recall! Diamond Pet Food Company!
I was just about to say that. I wouldn't believe a word they say.

Old 08-29-2008, 11:10 AM

3,631 posts, read 14,551,923 times
Oh they also make Kirkland sold by Costco and Solid Gold Foods

I know they do not make Innova, Blue Buffalo, Orijen, and Purina,
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs