Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2010, 04:17 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,959,536 times

Advertisements

I have two dogs.

The puppy took to crate training well.

The adult Bichon however was set in his ways when we got him, so he would require you taking him on 15, 20 mins, sometimes longer walks before he would be.

The trick I used for him was to take him out every two hours (just like with the puppy) but if he didn't pee in 1 minute we would go right back inside. Now he pess as soon as we make it to the grass because he knows that if he doesn't pee quickly he is going to have to hold it. I still take him on long walks, but that is because I want to and that all his walks doesn't have to be 20 minutes walks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2010, 04:47 PM

1,055 posts, read 4,921,579 times
Some dogs take longer to go. My female will go as soon as she is outside, while my male takes a bit longer. I also don't think it's a good idea to make your dog hold it as it can lead to UTI's.

Old 10-20-2010, 05:17 PM

9,352 posts, read 20,032,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogpaw View Post
Some dogs take longer to go. My female will go as soon as she is outside, while my male takes a bit longer. I also don't think it's a good idea to make your dog hold it as it can lead to UTI's.

sounds EXACTLY like bailey and dave.......

Old 10-20-2010, 05:19 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,959,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogpaw View Post

he doesn't have to hold it for long. sometimes if you bring him out and bring him in and then bring him right back out he will pee. just as long as he knows it is a pee outing not a walk outing

Old 10-20-2010, 05:42 PM

1,055 posts, read 4,921,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by latetotheparty View Post
sounds EXACTLY like bailey and dave.......
And if it's raining she's even quicker. Finn just wants to "find the right spot" rain or shine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
he doesn't have to hold it for long. sometimes if you bring him out and bring him in and then bring him right back out he will pee. just as long as he knows it is a pee outing not a walk outing
I just wanted to point out what can happen by making them hold it, but the way your doing it doesn't apply to that.

Old 06-19-2011, 05:43 PM

1 posts, read 3,449 times
I have a friend who crate trained her dog n now he really doesn't know how to act out of the crate. He gets into things n usually she keeps him in the crate pretty often .I grew up with a dog n she was never in a crate so now that we have a puppy I would like to find another way to train her rather than crate training. BTW I would ask my Grandmother bc she was the owner of my childhood dog but she's passed now.

Old 06-25-2011, 04:33 PM

30,253 posts, read 23,742,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtv1999 View Post
I have a friend who crate trained her dog n now he really doesn't know how to act out of the crate. He gets into things n usually she keeps him in the crate pretty often .I grew up with a dog n she was never in a crate so now that we have a puppy I would like to find another way to train her rather than crate training. BTW I would ask my Grandmother bc she was the owner of my childhood dog but she's passed now.
Then your friend did not crate train, your friend used the crate as a baby sitter and didn't give the dog enough time out of the crate, enough socializing and enough exercise. Period.

The best way to house train a puppy is to crate train. They do not want to soil their own crates. Keep in mind, puppies cannot hold it very long. Depending on the age of the puppy, it could hold it for as little as two hours up to 4 hours. The older the dog gets, the longer it can hold it but should never have to hold it over 8 hours.

If you cannot have someone there to let the puppy out every two or three hours, you should not have a puppy.

When you are not home, the puppy goes in to the crate. Not only does this help train them not to eliminate in the house, it prevents the puppy from destroying your things while you are gone and it is bored.

The moment you get home, let the puppy out of the crate. Take the puppy outside. You can either go for a walk or you can teach the puppy to go in one spot. If you want to teach them to go in one spot, you simply walk to the spot and stand there. The puppy can sniff and goof off and stare in to space all it wants but you are teaching the puppy, "the first thing we do before we do anything else, is go to the bathroom". If the puppy does not go in 10 minutes, you take the puppy back inside, put it back in the crate, wait 10 minutes and go back out, to that same spot, and stand there. You do not engage the puppy, you do not bend down and talk to it in baby talk, you merely stand there, like a tree, and wait for the puppy to go to the bathroom. Once the puppy has done this, you throw the puppy a big celebration right then and there with treats and pets and hugs and whatever else the puppy likes so that it learns, "A-ha! I pee here, I get this! Neat!"

When you are home, tether the puppy to you with a leash. Puppies can sneak off and start peeing in your house in a second...but if the puppy is on leash and you are paying attention to your puppy, you'll see the signs that the puppy has to go. When you see that, pick the puppy up and take it outside to pee. When it pees, again, throw a giant celebration right then and there.

You have to do this often with puppies...they cannot hold it for long.

And if your puppy piddles in the house, it's not the puppy's fault. It's yours.

Old 06-25-2011, 05:41 PM

9,319 posts, read 18,749,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAK802 View Post
We tried a crate at first, but he literally screamed for two hours while in it, pooped and peed, then rolled in it. There was only room for him in the crate, since we were told that he won't pee where he sleeps. Right. Not our dog. He was completely covered in feces and we sold the crate. We have a baby gate in the kitchen and that is his room. He stays there when we go out and overnight. It works very well for him and he prefers the freedom of being in the kitchen than a crate. We take him out every hour now, including weekdays, since one of us works from home. He will poop immediately, but won't pee. He does not poop in the house. Ever. Just pee. We will take him out year round, since winter in San Diego is non existent and it's still in the 70s on December 1st. You can walk 20 minutes with him, and he still won't pee outside.

And as far as giving him cheese or turkey, he is an English Bulldog and severly food sensitive. We gave him a treat once, despite our vet telling us never to give him anything other than his food, and he had diarrhea for two days. He can't eat even the purest things without having stomach issues.

We're not scolding him because he can't hold his bladder. The problem here is that we have just been outside for 20 minutes, during which he pooped, and the second we walk into the house, he pees on the carpet. It has nothing to do with him not being able to hold in his bladder. He is taken out, but several times a day will go as soon as we enter our house, on the carpet. It's frustrating and clearly not a problem of bladder control, since he was just out for 20 minutes. We don't expect him to be potty trained at 3 months, but we do expect him to go pee outside when we take him out so many times a day. He just seems to prefer the carpet for that.
I had some fond memories of my Mastiffs when they were so young and trying to housebreak them was a chore. They both would poop as soon as we put them to bed at night until we realized they were training us to let them back out to play while we cleaned the crate.

Old 07-26-2011, 09:45 AM

1 posts, read 3,310 times
Default older dogs doing it

I have a 7 yr old male chihuahua that's been nailing my entertainment center lately! I didn't notice until I went to swifter the dust, and the swifter stuck! As I removed my XBOX & games to inspect, the distinct odor of urine filled my nostrils. I also have a 4 yr. old terrier mix, and after her last heat, she's been pooping & peeing all over the house! I let them out, and they stand directly outside the back door refusing to move! I have to physically carry them to the back of the yard and then, on their way back to the back door, they will finally condesend to relive themselves. (Sometimes)

I do have to add that I aquired a 13 week old Pit Bull puppy from the local humane societly last Feb. The dog has grown considerably in the last few months. (She's 55 lbs) and is a typical puppy in the back yard. She dosen't know her own strentgh, and she can play quite rough. The only thing I can surmise is, allthough my two smaller dogs will agree with going outdoors, they have considered the patio "home base" and thus a semi safe area from the large, rather annoying pit bull puppy. Either that, or they are paying me back for getting her in the 1st place!

Old 07-26-2011, 05:42 PM

13,927 posts, read 39,302,018 times
As per instruction You Must Put them on Leash & Stay with them Praise when the go! This is an Old thread BUT the information IS Great!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs