Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Where dooes your dog live?
My dog is an indoor pet that goes in the fenced yard when I am home. 85 48.57%
My dog is an indoor pet that is walked on a leash. 56 32.00%
My dog has a doggy door and goes in or out at will. 17 9.71%
My dog stays outside during the day and is brought in at night. 10 5.71%
My dog is an outside dog and lives in my fenced yard. 5 2.86%
My dog is an outside dog and has a long leash. 0 0%
My dog lives in a pen outside. 2 1.14%
Voters: 175. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2007, 04:15 PM

4,606 posts, read 7,690,658 times

Advertisements

I agree evey. Why have a dog to keep outside.
Here in NC it is absolutley out of control. People go on vacation leave the dogs unattended no food no water. It's sickining. Then the shelters down here especially outside wake county are disgusting with their old fallen down shelters and their quick reactions to euthanize. And many are not in a humane way either.
Sad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2007, 06:59 PM

157 posts, read 564,608 times
We have 9 dogs in the house. Foster and our own. They go out to a fenced in yard or walked. So what if the house needs vacuuming every day!
If you want a dog tied to a tree or doghouse all the time, put a statue there instead. Saves on the lawn clean up.
What about the people who have 1 dog who lives indoors but the "hunting" dog is penned outside?

Old 03-31-2007, 07:37 PM

364 posts, read 527,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by autumngal View Post
I agree evey. Why have a dog to keep outside.
Here in NC it is absolutley out of control. People go on vacation leave the dogs unattended no food no water. It's sickining. Then the shelters down here especially outside wake county are disgusting with their old fallen down shelters and their quick reactions to euthanize. And many are not in a humane way either.
Sad.
OMG that is awful and so sad to here. I would hate to know what exactly you mean by in inhumane way.

Old 03-31-2007, 08:13 PM

11,555 posts, read 53,193,983 times
Some of us do have working dogs whose responsibility is to function as livestock guard dogs.

These dogs live outside full time with the livestock. If they're ever brought inside, they are spoiled and will not perform the job for which they were bred and developed through many years.

So, when I see people keeping working guardian dog breeds inside, I generally see very unhappy dogs.

Great Pyr's, for example ... are large dogs bred to be outside and to have room to romp around and play and guard their flock. Unless you have a very large house, they can't do that. These dogs need room to move and a job.

Old 03-31-2007, 08:47 PM

240 posts, read 1,284,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsprit View Post
Some of us do have working dogs whose responsibility is to function as livestock guard dogs.

These dogs live outside full time with the livestock. If they're ever brought inside, they are spoiled and will not perform the job for which they were bred and developed through many years. ...
That is no doubt true, but these dogs represent a tiny proportion of the number of dogs in this country. These 'working dogs' are not pets in any sense of that word. They are indentured employees at best.

I've never had or been in that situation and I can't, nor won't, make a judgment call on that. I just hope that livestock guard dogs are given the best life possible given their circumstances.

For the rest of us, the best place for a dog is inside in our home where they will be part of our family, and we will be their 'pack.' Dogs left outside unattended, neglected, become lonely and neurotic.

I just finished posting on the general U.S. forum where a guy complained about ... a barking dog situation. He was complaining about the neighbor who allowed the dog to be outside all the time and irritate the neighbors. Obviously, it's a neglected dog situation. If that dog was happy and content, he wouldn't be barking all the time.

Dogs, of course, need to get outside. In the best world they have nice yards or areas to romp around in every day, or at least, whenver they want, but good dog-owners give their pet what they need wherever they live. We had dogs in NYC while living in high rise apartments. Millions do, and those dogs are just fine, as long as they aren't, say....Great Pyr's!

Old 04-01-2007, 10:41 AM

525 posts, read 2,351,786 times
Inhumane can mean a heartstick, a gas chamber, a gas box, or a bullet - depends on where in the south and mid-west you are

Old 04-01-2007, 05:04 PM

13,163 posts, read 1,698,118 times
Default Our animals are indoors, with a fenced yard

Oh, my goodness, what heartbreaking stories here! And some wonderful, heartwarming, caring ones too! I love the pictures. Every one of them is a beautiful, precious critter - they love us unconditionally, and depend on us totally.

I'm so glad to read the posts by owners of indoor animals. Bless you all.

I recently came off a merry-go-round with a woman (backyard breeder, undoubtedly) who tried to sell a puppy and said in her ad the dog should not be bred. Then, she turned around and told me she was going to keep the dog for breeding, but it would have to be an outdoor dog since she doesn't have room inside. She has 18 dogs, 5 of them spayed/neutered! I urged her to find a home for the pup, tried to tell her why a dog should not be condemned to be an outdoor dog, but to no avail. She got very ugly with me, and I finally put a block on my email. There are all kinds out there. And they keep breeding dogs while thousands wait in shelters or are euthanized. They have no thought to what kind of hereditary problems they are passing on to owners who will then have heartbreak and huge expenses trying to take care of their beloved pet. All the time they could instead have saved a dog by going to a shelter or breed rescue organization. I'd better not get started about people who buy from these "fast-buck" artists. They don't know any better, but they should at least understand that they should get educated.
It's a big responsibility to take on an animal. They're not toys to be played with while cute and then be tossed aside into the yard.

I personally know of a case where a couple left for vacation (just a weekend) and left their dog chained in the yard. They came back to find the dog had gotten tangled in the chain and strangled. She was such a sweetie, too!

We have two dogs and three cats...Please let me add my photos to your wonderful album of great shots, and thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Dogs- house pets or outside animals-counting-sheep.jpg   Dogs- house pets or outside animals-two-buddies.jpg   Dogs- house pets or outside animals-also-buddies.jpg  

Old 04-01-2007, 05:34 PM

Location: Lots of sun and palm trees with occasional hurricane :)
8,293 posts, read 16,163,217 times
Oh Southwardbound. Congratulations. They are sooooooo cute. I love them!

Old 04-02-2007, 08:04 PM

7,371 posts, read 6,832,228 times
Default Great Pyrs

Quote:
Originally Posted by furyu View Post
That is no doubt true, but these dogs represent a tiny proportion of the number of dogs in this country. These 'working dogs' are not pets in any sense of that word. They are indentured employees at best.

I've never had or been in that situation and I can't, nor won't, make a judgment call on that. I just hope that livestock guard dogs are given the best life possible given their circumstances.

For the rest of us, the best place for a dog is inside in our home where they will be part of our family, and we will be their 'pack.' Dogs left outside unattended, neglected, become lonely and neurotic.

I just finished posting on the general U.S. forum where a guy complained about ... a barking dog situation. He was complaining about the neighbor who allowed the dog to be outside all the time and irritate the neighbors. Obviously, it's a neglected dog situation. If that dog was happy and content, he wouldn't be barking all the time.

Dogs, of course, need to get outside. In the best world they have nice yards or areas to romp around in every day, or at least, whenver they want, but good dog-owners give their pet what they need wherever they live. We had dogs in NYC while living in high rise apartments. Millions do, and those dogs are just fine, as long as they aren't, say....Great Pyr's!
Furyu, you are totally missing Sunspirit's point. I live on a farm. I have two dogs, a Border Collie and a Great Pyrenees. My neighbour who lives across the road also has a Great Pyrenees. Our nearest neighbours are two miles away. The neighbour's Great Pyrenees is at my house everyday. We both have cattle and we had problems with wolves killing our cattle, so in came the dogs. We haven't had a wolf problem since, or any break and enters.
These dogs are as Sunspirit says working dogs. We have not "endentured" them in any way to their "job". It is something they love to do. Pyrs are an ancient breed who travelled with the shepherds in mountainous parts of Europe for hundreds if not thousands of years. My dogs are outside dogs. Having said that there are heated buildings the dogs have access to with dog openings, there are barns, and other outbuildings. Yet most of the time, the dogs prefer to sleep with the cattle or at least in close proximity to them. They love playing and rollicking in the snow with eachother.There will never be a time in my life where my Pyr becomes a nuisance. I will have both my dogs until it is their time. I don't feed my dogs trashy food (I spend at least $150.) per month, no Walmart food here. The dogs get the very best of everything and we also spend lots of time with them. I also support our local shelter financially. They get the best medical attention, and if something should happen to the dogs, I would move heaven and earth to save them. I know my neighbour would do the same, and probably my food costs are higher because his dog eats here too. That's fine because the dogs go back and forth between both yards. Yes most Pyrs do bark alot, but again that is part of the guardian dog instinct.

Anyone considering getting a working dog should know what they are getting themselves into and spend some time researching the various breeds. Sadly there are far too many Pyrs and larger breeds in rescue situations because people just saw a beautiful puppy and didn't realize the responsibilities or costs associated with a big dog.

And, I would no more send my child outside to eat, then I would have a small Chihuaha live outside and fend for themselves. That connotation really ticks me off. I live in a rural area and there are lots of Canadian (and American) hunters who bring up dogs they kennel all year for one purpose only. They too are considered working dogs, and I have a problem with that--because of course our fall climate is very cold compared to the American southern states and lots of those dogs have short hair. Twice I have seen dogs from hunters (one a lab, the other a German Wirehaired Pointer) left behind after hunting season because they didn't do their "jobs". I think that really sucks. Imagine dogs wandering around fields freezing hundreds of miles away from home in a very cold Canadian fall. Both dogs were very traumatized, and subsequently adopted by local farmers who just keep them as companion pets.

Old 04-03-2007, 12:39 AM
HDL

3,216 posts, read 6,788,584 times
Smile I enjoyed your post 'taigagirl'

I think that a lot of people 'forget' that dogs were bred to work and not lay around sleeping all day . This is why it's important to research breeds before adopting to find one that will do best in your particular home. And those that did not research prior, should read up on their breed now (if your dog is a mixed breed, it will have qualities of each of the parents' breeds typically). I have never seen my dogs happier than when they're doing what they were born to do (whether it be retrieving, guarding, hunting, herding, etc.).

Just like we as human beings have various gifts and talents, so it is with dogs and we both find our greatest purpose in doing what we were put here to do. Just as I hate to see dogs chained to a tree or caged and neglected, I am also less than thrilled with people who dress their dogs in costumes every day and brag about their AKC 'show' dogs . I would much rather see a real working dog than....well, I guess I'll leave it at that !
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs