Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Where dooes your dog live?
My dog is an indoor pet that goes in the fenced yard when I am home. 85 48.57%
My dog is an indoor pet that is walked on a leash. 56 32.00%
My dog has a doggy door and goes in or out at will. 17 9.71%
My dog stays outside during the day and is brought in at night. 10 5.71%
My dog is an outside dog and lives in my fenced yard. 5 2.86%
My dog is an outside dog and has a long leash. 0 0%
My dog lives in a pen outside. 2 1.14%
Voters: 175. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2010, 07:37 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,584,768 times

Advertisements

I own a medium-sized beagle mix who lives primarily indoors. He gets outside time two to three times a day for 30-45 min. at a time on leashed walks (weekdays) and offleash at a dog park (weekends). He loves being both indoors and outdoors, and although we purposely bought a house with a large, fenced backyard, he is adept at escaping, and so unfortunately cannot be left offleash even in our fenced backyard. In order to secure the backyard, we'd have to do a 6-foot privacy fence, which we are unwilling to do. So, we do long, leashed walks and the dog park.

I live in suburbia, and I don't keep my dog outdoors, both due to said escape issue and due to the fact that he is a hound, and his barking if left alone outdoors would not endear him or us to the rest of the neighborhood. I do take my dog wherever we are, which means that if we're outside, doing yardwork or reading on the porch or just sitting out, I will generally have him with me on a long tether/stake. I never leave him tethered and unsupervised and would never leave him tethered while I am not home, but it's the only safe way to have him outside with us. He is a scenthound and if he's free, he will roam, and that's not safe.

That said, I am absolutely NOT a "dogs should live inside" person. My dog lives inside because it's the safer option, given his breed characteristics and our environment. These things need to be considered. I was raised with dogs that were strictly outside dogs...those working farm dogs that nobody seems to think exists were commonplace where I was raised, in the rural heartland of the country. All my dogs in my childhood lived outside. All were working breeds that were kept primarily as companion animals, but also performed the working dog functions of their heritage. We even had a malamute who, although not pulling sleds, loved pulling carts of brush, etc. from the fields to burnpile. But mostly, they were pets. They all had access to outbuildings and the basement, which they used in extreme weather. Our malamute would never have been happy to come inside in winter...even to her bed in the barn, she preferred the snowbanks. But in summer, she was more than happy to lie on the cool basement floor. My parents' sole dog out on the farm these days is an elderly lab mix who sleeps every night in the basement and has for several years, now, in her old age. But as a young dog, she always slept on the front porch. We didn't tether our dogs, and we didn't have a fenced in yard. But we were miles from neighbors/other dogs, and set back far from the road (which was a seldom-traveled gravel road), and roaming wasn't something our dogs were given to. Since we lived in an isolated area, there wasn't much instance where our dogs would pose a nuisance to others, nor were there neighbor kids to worry about, etc. To those who speculate that a dog that lives outside is ignored/not really a pet, I have to note that that wasn't the case in my household at all. Our outdoor farm dogs were constantly on the receiving end of attention and companionship, both with people working outside, and due to my siblings and I playing outside constantly. The only time the dogs were alone was when they (and we) were sleeping. I realize that in contemporary urban society, most people don't spend all day outside, dog by their side as they go about their jobs. It's different on a farm. A dog outside on a farm is very much part of a pack/family, and very seldom bored or ignored. I realize that not everyone has the ideal setup to have a happy, healthy outdoor dog. But that doesn't mean that people who do are neglecting or abusing their dogs. It really depends on the dog, the situation, and any number of other factors.

I don't find it cruel at all for dogs to live primarily outdoors, given a few caveats - got a dog prone to roaming? Not a good candidate for being outside without confinement/supervision. I don't let my scent hound out of my sight/lead in our urban area for this reason. Some dogs are fine, my current one wouldn't be. Got close neighbors? Be mindful of nuisance issues and safety issues. Got no time to spend with a dog? Don't get one, whether you plan to have it living indoors or outdoors.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2010, 12:23 AM

426 posts, read 1,570,918 times
Lots of good posts...I agree with TabulaRasa, and the others, that outside dogs aren't automatically neglected or unhappy. If a dog lives outdoors with other dogs, it is in a pack. Many dogs are perfectly happy that way, some prefer the company of other dogs to that of people. Dogs (and cats) are animals, being outdoors is their natural state. Now, as someone mentioned, taking an animal that's acclimated to being indoors and suddenly making them stay outside in the weather isn't so nice, but if they are used to it I don't see a problem. Even humans in less developed countries live close to the elements, and they acclimate to weather that would probably kill urbanites like us. Personal experience - I relocated from California (desert) to Missouri (um...jungle?) when I was a kid. We moved in June, and I had never experienced Midwest humidity before. That first summer I couldn't be outside for more than 10 minutes without getting sick. But I acclimated eventually.

Of course, extremely old, young, or unhealthy animals would do better indoors as they are less able to take extremes of temperature (similarly to people.)

My dog lives inside with me, but when I'm home I leave the door open to the backyard, and at least 80% of the time she'll go outside and just hang out there. She enjoys laying in the sun, rolling in the grass, sniffing and rolling in dead bugs...

I recently finished a couple of interesting books about dogs' senses - "Inside of a Dog" by Alexandra Horowitz and "How Dogs Think" by Stanley Coren. The information about dogs' senses of smell and hearing in particular really made me rethink how my house must seem to my dog, and gave me an insight into why she might prefer to be outside. There are probably a lot of very strong smells in the house, from cleaning products, candles, etc. I don't notice them, but I'll bet Sienna does. My house probably smells to her like the perfume department at Macy's does to me.

Another insight was that a lot of electronic gizmos that I have in the house emit sounds that I can't hear, but dogs can. The TV, computer, and cellphone charger all give off either sounds or EMF waves that might be less than pleasant to my dog. Now, in the yard, the smells are mainly plant and animal related, the ventilation is much improved, and she isn't in such proximity to the electronic sounds.

Just trying to look at it from a dog's perspective, best as I can.

Last edited by misfitz; 11-05-2010 at 12:24 AM.. Reason: Not discounting breed differences though, a Pug would naturally be more comfortable indoors than a Lab!

Old 11-05-2010, 12:38 AM

1,496 posts, read 2,439,343 times
dog is the friend of us, i like it

Old 11-05-2010, 12:55 AM

24,122 posts, read 32,484,271 times
I fail to understand the concept of an "out door pet".
Is this poor dog assigned to a life in a leaky dog house, a freezing winter in the north? A brutally hot summer in the south?
Dogs are COMPANION ANIMALS - COMPANION - you get that word?
So would you consign a companion of yours to a back yard?
Even if your dog is warm enough in winter and cool enough in summer - dogs are social creatures.
They crave the compaionship of humans who have bread them to be this way.
They are not woves or cyotes. They may be related but they are dogs.
We humans have the responsibility to gine our dogs warmth, comfort - emotional and physical, and companionship.
Your dog should be welcome in your home.
If not the pet deserves a better place to live.

Old 11-05-2010, 03:43 AM

5 posts, read 7,864 times
My dogs got 5 acres to run around on at their will, no leashes or fenced areas they just do their own thing. It usually ends up with them sleeping on the deck, annoying the cats a bit and barking at passing cars But at night time i bring them in and they have a little area in the basement with their beds and what not. Their out 90% of the time tho, dont want to leave them overnight outside to many coyotes. And their defiantly not coyote fighting dogs.

Old 11-05-2010, 06:33 AM

36,529 posts, read 30,871,648 times
Quote:
I recently finished a couple of interesting books about dogs' senses - "Inside of a Dog" by Alexandra Horowitz and "How Dogs Think" by Stanley Coren. The information about dogs' senses of smell and hearing in particular really made me rethink how my house must seem to my dog, and gave me an insight into why she might prefer to be outside. There are probably a lot of very strong smells in the house, from cleaning products, candles, etc. I don't notice them, but I'll bet Sienna does. My house probably smells to her like the perfume department at Macy's does to me.

Another insight was that a lot of electronic gizmos that I have in the house emit sounds that I can't hear, but dogs can. The TV, computer, and cellphone charger all give off either sounds or EMF waves that might be less than pleasant to my dog. Now, in the yard, the smells are mainly plant and animal related, the ventilation is much improved, and she isn't in such proximity to the electronic sounds.

Just trying to look at it from a dog's perspective, best as I can.
That is interesting info. I never gave those things any thought before. I think I will read those books.

Old 11-05-2010, 06:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
Is this poor dog assigned to a life in a leaky dog house, a freezing winter in the north? A brutally hot summer in the south?
So would you consign a companion of yours to a back yard?
Even if your dog is warm enough in winter and cool enough in summer - dogs are social creatures.
They crave the compaionship of humans who have bread them to be this way.
They are not woves or cyotes. They may be related but they are dogs.
We humans have the responsibility to gine our dogs warmth, comfort - emotional and physical, and companionship.
Your dog should be welcome in your home.
If not the pet deserves a better place to live.
You assume all outside pets are just shut out and isolated. It happens, but its not usually the case. When it is especially cold or especially hot my dogs will come inside, otherwise they stay out. I have four, so they have their pack and companionship when I am gone. I also spend most of my time outside when Im not at work.
You apparently havent seen some of the elaborate dog houses with heat lamps and fans and music and fluffy pillows.

Old 11-05-2010, 06:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptbp View Post
My dogs got 5 acres to run around on at their will, no leashes or fenced areas they just do their own thing. It usually ends up with them sleeping on the deck, annoying the cats a bit and barking at passing cars But at night time i bring them in and they have a little area in the basement with their beds and what not. Their out 90% of the time tho, dont want to leave them overnight outside to many coyotes. And their defiantly not coyote fighting dogs.
Im glad mine are. The coyotes are getting too close for comfort. The dogs keep them away from the cats, chickens and goats.

Old 11-05-2010, 06:50 AM

119 posts, read 467,900 times
My dogs are inside/outside dogs. They have a big fenced in yard with lots of shade and a warm dry dog house. They come in when we are home and they go out when we are at work. I dont think leaving them in the house or putting them in a crate is more humane then letting them outside to play and run around in a safe environment.

If your dog is outside 24/7 and never gets human intervention then that is not right but if you have an outside dog and you give them love, affection, exercise, a cool place in the summer and warmth in the winter along with clean water and food then how is that neglect.

I dont know about you but during every season but the dead of winter I spend a lot of time outside and my dogs love being out there with me. Walking and romping in the yard is a lot more preferrable to them than sitting in the house.

I think we cant judge all "outdoor" pets as neglected. I know plenty of people in the rural/farm area I live in that have dogs outside and even though some of these dont get the attention they need most of them do and they go with their people in the tractor or down the road in the truck or out to check cows and they are very happy. I dont think generalizing that if you have an outdoor dog that you arent a good dog parent is right and each case should be looked at seperately. Again I am very against keeping your dog on a chain 24/7 and never giving them attention but dont assume every outdoor dog is treated that way.

Old 11-07-2010, 06:34 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,584,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
I'm guessing you don't spend much time outdoors yourself?

On a working farm, you'd be leaving your dog alone (i.e. offering it no COMPANIONSHIP) if you had it confined to the house while you were out of doors working all day. Dogs can be made warm and comfortable without sleeping on the foot of your bed (and I currently have a dog who DOES sleep on the foot of my bed, so I'm not opposed...nor am I opposed to a dog sleeping in a comfortable, sheltered environment outdoors, if it's safe to do so).

Again...spending time with your pet, whether it lives primarily indoors or outdoors, is the real measure of not neglecting your pet, in addition to no-brainers like food and access to shelter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs