Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2009, 10:06 AM

9,352 posts, read 20,024,647 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimboburnsy View Post
Blueheelers and other cattle dogs get a lot of that. They are handsome animals and very clever but they aren't always (if ever) well suited to urban existence. A lot of people will get a puppy because "they just love blueheelers" without ever having the slightest inkling of what the dog actually is (a running and nipping machine), realize that they have a lot more dog than they can handle, decide that this dog is particularly incorrigible (he's not, he's actually "a blueheeler") and mr. bottomless pit of undirected energy is put up for adoption or destruction.

To me, that's more a problem stemming from ignorant demand for an innapropriate pet than from people who try to perpetuate and improve the Australian Cowherd.

On the other hand, the breeder who provided my golden never would have put him in a home where he would not be trained, would not hunt or would not "do what he was born to do." He would most certainly have found his way to the SPCA or worse (very high energy, independent streak, much more strong willed than the stereotypical understanding of golden retrievers). In that respect, someone who puts a high octane working dog in an unsuspecting home is being irresponsible, but someone who can breed a high octane working dog probably isn't going to do that. I would be pretty wary of a breeder who would.

add to that list... hard headed and strong willed..... bailey is a red heeler mix, but the heeler part is dominant. At age 4 now, her energy level has leveled off and she is not usually as energetic as a typical heeler, so whatever is in the mix seems to be beneficial in making her a better PET.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2009, 10:21 AM

8,309 posts, read 38,770,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by latetotheparty View Post
add to that list... hard headed and strong willed..... bailey is a red heeler mix, but the heeler part is dominant. At age 4 now, her energy level has leveled off and she is not usually as energetic as a typical heeler, so whatever is in the mix seems to be beneficial in making her a better PET.....
I think that red heeler, blue heeler, Aussie cattle dog, Queensland heeler, Aussie cowherd are all different names for the same breed. Red and blue are like yellow and black variations in labs. Still the same dog, just a different phenotype expressed.

I would be very surprised to learn that the special ingredient that makes Bailey a good pet is anything other than enough exercise coupled with something to do.

Old 06-19-2009, 10:31 AM

9,352 posts, read 20,024,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimboburnsy View Post
I think that red heeler, blue heeler, Aussie cattle dog, Queensland heeler, Aussie cowherd are all different names for the same breed. Red and blue are like yellow and black variations in labs. Still the same dog, just a different phenotype expressed.

I would be very surprised to learn that the special ingredient that makes Bailey a good pet is anything other than enough exercise coupled with something to do.

you are absolutely correct about different names for different colorings in the same breed......

and yes... she gets a good couple of hours exercise EVERY SINGLE DAY..... cold, hot, rain or shine or snow......

now... back to our originally scheduled programming......

Last edited by latetotheparty; 06-19-2009 at 10:47 AM..

Old 06-19-2009, 10:54 AM

716 posts, read 1,119,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eevee View Post
I agree w/ all your points except for this. IMHO, breeding strictly to standards is the thing that have ruined many purebred breeds. many breeders take it too far so that you have bulldogs w/ dangerously short muzzles and heads so massive pregnant females often require C-sections; you have GSDs w/ ridiculously sloped hindquarters that makes it hard for them to run; you have breeders killing off Rhodesian Ridgeback puppies that are born w/o the ridge.

primary concern should be sound physical health and temperament. but, IMHO, I would rather see a slightly imperfect GSD (ie, too tall, too short, born w/ a patch of white on its chest, etc) w/ sound health that can still do the job it was bred to do being bred than a GSD that completely adheres to standards and is a champion show dog but has a crazy sloped back that makes it inadequate to herd. not to say a dog can't excel in both field and ring, and there are breeders w/ dogs w/ multiple titles, but these dogs seem to be in the minority

for the reasons above, many breeds have two groups of breeders: show breeders who breed to standards so they can win in the ring, and hobby/field breeders who breed dogs that can actually perform the tasks they were bred to do. a field Labrador retriever may not fit the AKC standards perfectly, but may be a champion field retriever and is of sound health so is worthy of being bred

there are a lot of champion show dogs w/ health problems, many of them exacerbated by breeders who are more concerned w/ breeding to standards than overall health of the dog and the breed. google "pedigree exposed" and see that many of those breeders, even if they have champion dogs, are really no better than some BYBs w/ little concern for health

ETA: hah, looks like jim beat me to it! but yeah, a lot of working dogs would never win in the ring but excel in their line of work so can be bred, provided, of course, the breeder is reputable and the dog is healthy

Amen. Health and temperment should be the top priorities, appearance next. Dogs like the Black Mouth Cur are healthy and have long life expectancies because they were bred to perform and be strong, not to look good.

Old 06-19-2009, 11:00 AM

8,309 posts, read 38,770,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by latetotheparty View Post
you are absolutely correct about different names for different colorings in the same breed......

and yes... she gets a good couple of hours exercise EVERY SINGLE DAY..... cold, hot, rain or shine or snow......

now... back to our originally scheduled programming......
By the way, I thought I was on track because I misread your post. I thought you were sort of insinuating that red-heelers and blue-heelers were somehow materially different. Sorry.

Old 06-19-2009, 11:12 AM

5,094 posts, read 12,585,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LookinForMayberry View Post
Dear Dashdog;

Good inputs. Do you know of a list of health issues by breed that might be publishable?

I myself do not know where one finds such a list as I heard this Information on the Dr. Dog Radio program out of San Diego way back when Jazz was a puppy.Each week he would take a dog related topic and discuss it sort of like our threads do here.

That week it was about responsible dog breeding and that fact stuck in my mind all these years. That the majority of health issues dogs suffer from is our fault and comes from poor breeding. Very sad.

You may be able to go to his website and ask him for a list if I recall his website is drdog.com and his real name is Dr. Dennis Fetko he has a PHD in Behavioral psychology.

This is off topic but he has a saying I love " A backyard dog has and address not a home" Think about it!

Old 06-19-2009, 02:01 PM

4,334 posts, read 13,658,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adopt-a-pet View Post
Out of an estimated 6 to 8 million cats and dogs that enter shelters every year, 3 to 4 million are euthanized. Most of these are healthy animals or animals that have treatable health issues. Anyone who would purposely breed more pets while MILLIONS of innocent animals are being euthanized is absolutely irresponsible.

If you must get a "purebred" pet, please look on petfinder.com for a rescued animal from one of the many breed rescue organizations that exist in the US. Remember, "purebred" pets have tons of congenital health problems and predispositions for diseases -- from back problems in dachshunds to cancer in boxers and respiratory problems in bulldogs. Breeding is done only for a misplaced sense of self-worth (and money) for the breeders. It does the animals no favors. They don't care if they have legs of a certain length or the appropriate head shape. All they care about is having a home and being loved.
I could not have said it better. You touched more on the breeding aspect than I did! Thanx! Wonderful post! Thanx for caring and posting some good info. on the adoption of pure breeds. Thanx again for all of us who care about the homeless pets in shelters! They desperately need our help and support, for they cannot speak for themselves!

Old 06-19-2009, 06:40 PM

13,395 posts, read 45,013,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adopt-a-pet View Post
Breeding is done only for a misplaced sense of self-worth (and money) for the breeders.
Ridiculous hyperbole which has no place in this thread.
I have had several purebreds who led long, healthy and happy lives: They came from responsible breeders, and I am a responsible pet owner.
I did my research about health issues long before I made a purchase.

Old 06-19-2009, 06:51 PM

10,090 posts, read 42,410,939 times
Reps to you BWP!
That whole post is full of garbage!
." Breeding is done only for a misplaced sense of self-worth (and money) for the breeders".
What a misnomer ! And you would know this how? So all Breeders do it only for the $. Do tell! Show me one Breeder who has put her heart and soul into bettering a breed who has actually come ahead financially!
I have nothing against adopting rescues...have got a few myself and I've worked shelters and rescues...but this stuff
Once again...the as the OP stated, this thread is about Responsible Breeders...

Old 06-19-2009, 06:57 PM

1,477 posts, read 7,908,921 times
Mod Note: Discussions about adoption vs. breeding are interesting and important, as are discussions about the various breeds and their health issues. However, those discussions don't belong in this thread.

Please bring the discussion back to the topic of this thread, which is, "What makes a RESPONSIBLE breeder?"

Thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs