Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2010, 02:29 PM

5,094 posts, read 12,590,447 times

Advertisements

Yes the breed restriction rules are silly but even craizier is the size restriction rules.

I know alot of people that have found places that will take dogs but they must be under 25 lbs! I own a condo that has no breed or size restrictions and I know how lucky I am for that. Having lived here for many years and working nights I am home during the days and I can say it is not large dogs that I hear barking and we do have plenty of them living here ( yes even Pits) It is the smaller yappy dogs that I do hear barking. I do not know if it because the larger dogs get more exercise, as alot of people think small dogs do not need much so often they are under exercised. Or if it is the fact small dogs tend to be compainion dogs so perhaps suffer more seperation anxiety but given a choice I would rather have a neighbor with a larger breed then a small toy breed.

I have also noticed that owners of larger dogs do a much better job of cleaning up dog poop but the owners of the small dogs where I live seem to feel it is small what is the harm of leaving it...errrr!!!!

I think property owners need to wake up and see that large dogs can do wonderful in condos or apartments when they have good owners and that if you allow dogs it should not mean only small dogs nor should it limit the breed, meet the dog and owner before you say no. I think most people that live where I do are amazed when they see the number of medium/ large breeds that do live here as you would never know it if you did not see them out with their owners.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2010, 03:24 PM

1,688 posts, read 8,147,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dashdog View Post
Yes the breed restriction rules are silly but even craizier is the size restriction rules.
Don't get me started on THAT! Drives me positively bonkers.

Don't you love it when you call somewhere that advertises itself as pet-friendly only to find out that the pet can weigh no more than 30 lbs? I once queried someone on this - I think it might have been a motel, but I forget the circumstances. I was told by the person that "dogs over 30 lbs cause more damage than dogs under 30 lbs, because they're bigger."

What can you possibly say to such "logic"?

Old 03-11-2010, 05:27 PM

9,352 posts, read 20,032,749 times
i reply that my dogs are better behaved and less destructive than most CHILDREN........

Old 03-12-2010, 06:12 AM

3,199 posts, read 7,828,718 times
I am in FL too and in many condo communities the HOA have strict rules not just about animals but in general. I am not in your area but many of the apts I have been to look at don't have a weight limit. They do have certain breed restrictions. So you may want to look on Rent.com for major apartment complexes or another thought is a private home rental where there is no HOA and the owner may be ok with it. Good luck.

Old 03-12-2010, 07:08 AM

1,188 posts, read 5,534,831 times
I can so empathize with you! We encountered the same problem when we were looking to move to Colorado for a year. I was so stressed that people were being so absolute in terms of "No" about our two large dogs. Thankfully, the move never had to happen.

My suggestion to you would be what I was doing in our situation. I would suggest putting together a portfolio of letters of recommendation regarding your dogs (from places you have rented or hotels you may have stayed with them), documentation of the health and status of your dogs, an important aspect is that you state with vet proof that your dogs are s/n, certifications of completion of any training, awards your dogs may have earned, pictures of your dogs incorporated into your family to help people recognize they are loved and important to you, etc.

Old 03-12-2010, 07:44 AM

556 posts, read 2,087,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StrengthCoach23 View Post
So I'm looking to move from NJ to Orlando (or nearby) Florida.
StrengthCoach - good luck on your move - and your search for dog friendly housing - I'm glad you are prepared to MAKE it work

A suggestion - you might contact some of the breed specific rescue groups in the Orlando area, such as Rottweiler rescue, GSD rescue, pit bull rescue, etc., as those groups often maintain a decent list of housing options for their adopters, or folks who contact them needing to surrender their dog, because they can't find dog friendly rental properties.

Be sure you state up front you don't need them for your dog - you are just hoping to network on housing options since you are moving from another state! You'll be a breath of fresh air for any rescue you contact, since you are KEEPING your dog with you on your move!

Old 03-12-2010, 07:57 AM

19,521 posts, read 9,543,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarlaJane View Post
Yes, it is a challenge. I have a 95lb. GSD. I live in the WPB area and was fortunate to find a complex that does not have a weight restriction and only restricts pure-bred pitbulls. I don't know what kind of dog you have but if it is a pit, it might be a while before you are able to find something. Most people I know with pits either say that their dog is a mix or rent privately, usually a house.

But you are absolutely right, it's flat out bigotry. Unfortunately, the insurance companies are the ones that have actually instigated the discrimination. Many owners have no problem themselves with breeds but cannot rent to people with certain breeds b/c their insurance company refuses to cover them. It's absolute bull****.
Not only from insurance companies, but I've seen various 'Home Owner's Associations" and City ordinances apply same restrictions Sad.

Old 03-12-2010, 08:46 AM

24 posts, read 149,757 times
Wow, thank you all for your responses! I will definitely use these suggestions. Fortunately, Jewell will be staying with my mom in NJ while I search. Then I'll come back for her.

It's cool to see other dog owners with the same passions/frustrations/etc as me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs