Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Duluth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2014, 12:07 AM

413 posts, read 763,710 times

Advertisements

Yeah, that's the area. I didn't know that the Cozy was closed, as while I do go to or through Duluth quite often, I haven't been in that area in a few years. Last time I was there there was a significant number of winos and addicts milling about, even in the middle of the day. It was rough to say the least. There's some other areas of Duluth with some old run down "residential hotels" that are pretty rough too. It's just a tough old city and until some significant employment comes in, it's going to remain so.

The area off Tower in Superior is pretty seedy too, I was there a couple weeks ago and commented that with all the vacant lots and shuttered businesses it looks like Detroit. A lot of the old bars down there seem to have closed recently and are vacant.

Old 04-04-2014, 08:51 AM

781 posts, read 2,628,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocsid View Post
The area off Tower in Superior is pretty seedy too, I was there a couple weeks ago and commented that with all the vacant lots and shuttered businesses it looks like Detroit. A lot of the old bars down there seem to have closed recently and are vacant.
The "downtown" section (from ~N 4th St to Belknap St) of Tower Ave was recently re-done from scratch. If you were there a couple of weeks ago, you would have been on the new pavement. They added bike lanes, new turns lanes and center dividers (more of a boulevard look). Since construction completely closed sections of Tower, some businesses couldn't make it through to the end. I'm not sure how the state handled reimbursement for the closure; what they offered doesn't seem like it was enough for some.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chessgeek View Post
If an independent entrepeneurial type business can't replace it, the city should clean it up and try to attract a chain like Jimmy John's, Starbucks or Buffalo Wild Wings. Almost anything is better than leaving it vacant I would think.
While I agree with that, most of these solutions would require complete demolition of the building. I, personally, would not have a problem with this. However, this building does have architectural and historical significance. The building and apartments that we now refer to as "The Cozy" used to be called the "Pastoret Flats" designed by architect Oliver Traphagen. For this reason, many oppose razing the structure and would rather see it turned into a properly managed affordable housing complex (or other reuse).

Hopefully, now that more franchised operations are getting comfortable with Duluth at the mall area, there may be a larger chance that some will make the leap to more urban downtown locations. Unfortunately, of all the areas downtown, this will probably be one of the last to see any redevelopment. If anything, the new Maurices office building on 4th Ave W and Superior St will help to allure some new business there.

Old 04-04-2014, 10:12 AM

32,944 posts, read 3,927,723 times
Kozy

Old 04-04-2014, 03:43 PM

1,833 posts, read 3,350,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geebabe View Post
Kozy
You beat me to it.

Old 04-10-2014, 11:22 PM

865 posts, read 2,501,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aluminumpork View Post
For anyone not familiar with the area, I've linked to the intersection closest to where ocsid is mentioning on Google Streetview. streetview.

Indeed, this intersection and one to two blocks up, as well as one block east look gross and probably will for some time. The Cozy has had an "unfortunate" history as of late, from fires to failed re-development plans. I don't ever recall people sleeping in cardboard boxes or anything like that, but back when the Cozy was open, it could certainly be an uncomfortable area to walk through. Now that the Cozy is closed, it's not nearly as active.
It's run down, yes. But still doesn't qualify as a "skid row". It's always interesting to me to hear perspectives on Duluth. It's true that Duluth is a rust belt city and will likely still be gritty (or "dirty" if you will) for some time. But I STILL like it! No the whole place doesn't look like the touristy bits, but there is something very REAL about the place and it DOES have a hell of a lot to offer. I'd still love to move there.

Old 04-11-2014, 10:54 AM

60 posts, read 134,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roneb View Post
It's run down, yes. But still doesn't qualify as a "skid row". It's always interesting to me to hear perspectives on Duluth. It's true that Duluth is a rust belt city and will likely still be gritty (or "dirty" if you will) for some time. But I STILL like it! No the whole place doesn't look like the touristy bits, but there is something very REAL about the place and it DOES have a hell of a lot to offer. .
After experiencing my first winter here, I am now learning what the landscape here looks like a few months of the year... all white...everywhere, I did find it hard to get used to, and did go through many stages of acceptance of having to live here, my winter blues went through all of its different shades, but at the end of it all, I know this place has character and has a certain sweet flavor, not everyone can taste

I have lived abroad and also lived in many places in the US, although I like places to be flat, straight and warm, like Phoenix, Duluth is hilly and cold, and many times I did think to myself ' Gosh, this place sucks' , I am, however, very slowly starting to realize the true uniqueness of this place, what some see as rustic and gritty, can also be seen as authentic and with substance.

Duluth is certainly a small city... With lots of charater

Old 10-05-2017, 10:38 PM

321 posts, read 861,162 times
Stumbled upon this thread while I was looking for info on what appears to be a typical/average 40-60% property tax increase from 2011ish-2015 in Duluth that I stumbled upon looking at a representative sample of houses on Zillow throughout the city.

The OP is complaining about things most notably signage that generally would come from tax dollars. My observations of the Duluth area are polar opposite of the OP's. From my travels all over the county, Minnesota has one of the more expensive and well-developed infrastructure in the nation. The sorts of things like signage that most people prefer to see. Except for me. Because too many of the people I know are barely making ends meet if not assuming debt to make ends meet. In the face of this, taxes and cost of living keep increasing.

Although my impression of Duluth is a polished upscale happyland of sorts, on par with most of Minnesota, I wish that Duluth actually did suck in the way the OP describes. Because then taxes would (or at least should) be much lower and the risk of folks getting taxed out of their homes would be far less.

Incomes are declining while cost of living is increasing and builders are only adding larger and more expensive housing units. Building codes and laws of all kinds continue to operate under the assumption that we are a first-world society and most citizens can afford being held to such standards. I have not seen any indication that the powers-that-be will ratchet down the codes and laws to realign with the new economy incomes. As such, the average citizen will probably be increasingly forced to assume debt to meet them.

Too bad Duluth is not a low-tax dump. It would be far more economically sustainable as incomes decline.

Apologies for reviving an old thread. I couldn't stop myself when I saw the OP's post.

Old 02-25-2018, 07:57 PM

31 posts, read 32,106 times
I just finished living in Duluth for 6 months on the campus of the College of St. Scholastica. I LOVED it! Hated to leave, even though it was January & I was headed 400 miles south.

Best things:
  1. Clean
  2. Progressive
  3. Younger/college town vibe
  4. Laid back
  5. Friendly
  6. Vibrant arts scene, given its size
  7. Beautiful outdoors areas to walk, esp. Chester Park
  8. The view!

I'm seriously thinking of moving there permanently, but there aren't many jobs in my field -- publishing/media/news.

I have to wonder how many of the "Duluth sucks" posters have lived there all their lives & thus haven't been away to see how good they've got it.

Question: I've read that Duluth has 7% more adult men than adult women. This is quite unusual, especially in the Midwest. I've also seen that the county Cloquet is in has more adult men than women. Why is this? I hope it's not because there's a prison there. I'm a middle aged woman and recently divorced after being married 26 years. Kid grown. It would be nice to find a special someone around Duluth.

Last edited by Funch; 02-25-2018 at 08:04 PM.. Reason: adding info

Old 08-13-2018, 03:35 PM

428 posts, read 810,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfoot424 View Post
It really does. The wife and I have been here a couple days now and this place really sucks. We were really looking forward to stopping here but we now absolutely regret stopping. The traffic along 35 sucks with the construction with some of the rudest damn drivers I've ever seen. And I'm from the DC area. The lack of signs all over here, to include all of MN, really sucks also. We drove the Northern Shore route yesterday and there we NO signs letting you know a scenic pullover was coming up. We tried to get to the Skyline today and every exit along 35 was closed that we needed to take. We went several miles past where we needed to be and never did find the Skyline.
Oh yeah, did I say Duluth SUCKS.
I hope the rest of the world reads your post and takes it serious, and stays away from Duluth. I dread the secret of Duluth getting out and everybody moving here. Rated #1 city by Outdoor magazine. I left Duluth a few years ago because of winters and have tried out several parts of the USA including Oregon, North Carolina, Illinois, driven across the USA twice. I am appreciating Duluth and moving back to Duluth. I will do a two home model and find a place to escape winter a bit each year. But Duluth rocks-- sandy and rocky beaches, wilderness hiking right in town, small downtown, charming and lots of places to eat, kayaking, art scene, symphony, several colleges and university, ballet, theatre, cinema, camping fly fishing, etc.

Duluth's population has stayed the same for 30+ years and lets keep it that way. Please, nobody else move to Duluth!

Old 08-15-2018, 10:43 AM

3,816 posts, read 6,445,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe_obody999 View Post
I hope the rest of the world reads your post and takes it serious, and stays away from Duluth. I dread the secret of Duluth getting out and everybody moving here. Rated #1 city by Outdoor magazine. I left Duluth a few years ago because of winters and have tried out several parts of the USA including Oregon, North Carolina, Illinois, driven across the USA twice. I am appreciating Duluth and moving back to Duluth. I will do a two home model and find a place to escape winter a bit each year. But Duluth rocks-- sandy and rocky beaches, wilderness hiking right in town, small downtown, charming and lots of places to eat, kayaking, art scene, symphony, several colleges and university, ballet, theatre, cinema, camping fly fishing, etc.

Duluth's population has stayed the same for 30+ years and lets keep it that way. Please, nobody else move to Duluth!
The OP is 8 years old, but I'll chime in.

I agree with joe. We love Duluth. The scenic aspect alone sold us. The hills, trees and water are just beautiful. I love driving on 35 through town with the hills rising up to one side of you and the water opposite. It's a very topographically diverse area. We haven't had much of a chance to explore the area yet as we've only been in Minnesota a year and a half, but we recently bought a home in a spot where we can get to Duluth in under 2 hours, so we'll be going every chance we get. Like joe said, it seems like an area that is so much more than just a pretty place to look at. Duluth is a semi-major city with a lot to offer. I wouldn't mind living up there at all, but one of the only drawbacks to me (emphasis: to ME) is it being a big union town. I don't do unions. Winter is winter in Minnesota.....I've lived in a far northern climate much of the past decade between here and northern Michigan, so I know you gotta deal with it if you're to make a home in these parts. Like joe, I've lived in many other (warmer) parts of the country and chose to come back to the upper Midwest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Duluth