Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Duluth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2010, 11:42 PM

5,984 posts, read 13,409,881 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammy332 View Post
visited Duluth? lol no why would I? To freeze more? I drove once actually when I first moved on my way to north shore, but didn't last long. I never returned. I just had a sense it's scary up there.
You can always move, you know. No one's forcing you to stay here.

Old 12-24-2010, 08:53 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,041,688 times
Personally I'm glad he's (she's) here and would hope they stay for a long, lonnnnnng time. Wait until they find out about the special "lottery".

Old 12-24-2010, 02:52 PM

721 posts, read 2,609,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sammy332 View Post
visited Duluth? lol no why would I? To freeze more? I drove once actually when I first moved on my way to north shore, but didn't last long. I never returned. I just had a sense it's scary up there.
Scary? What are you talking about? Duluth is the least scary place I've ever lived, and yes, I regularly spend time in the "bad parts" like the West End and Central Hillside. I've never had a problem.

Old 12-25-2010, 11:35 PM

865 posts, read 2,501,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newcastle View Post
Scary? What are you talking about? Duluth is the least scary place I've ever lived, and yes, I regularly spend time in the "bad parts" like the West End and Central Hillside. I've never had a problem.
Let's face it, sammy332 is one unhappy camper who wants to vent on topics for which he has no understanding or expertise. He already admitted he's never been to Duluth, so has no basis to pass judgment.

Sammy, do us all a favor, actually spend a little time in Duluth, or better yet an entire winter in your dream town of Seattle, before you offer any more opinions.

Old 12-27-2010, 05:23 AM

534 posts, read 1,170,228 times
If you think Duluth is "scary", try living in SE DC...

It's all relative.

Old 01-02-2011, 10:41 PM

674 posts, read 1,538,224 times
What I don't understand is the OP moved to Duluth and now talking s*** about how everything sucks. You would think he'd have come to a conclusion about the place when he came up to look for a job/place to live, not wait until he moved there. Smdh!

Old 01-19-2011, 11:32 AM

256 posts, read 585,972 times
I don't get to Duluth too often, but I've enjoyed visiting there from time to time. I want to get back and take another drive up the North Shore. People who complain there is nothing to do probably wouldn't do anything no matter where they were. Some people are just sulking because it's not what they are used to. I can find things to do in towns a whole lot smaller than Duluth.

Old 02-24-2011, 09:04 PM

1 posts, read 2,328 times
Default Lets not forget the people.....

I am from Duluth and did not realize all of these short-comings until I returned after living elsewhere for over a decade. I could not agree more- Looking up on the cencus bureau 92% of the Duluth area is as white as white can be with less than 10% of its population in a minority group and having american style mexican restaurants and a token asian or indian place does not constitue as diversity. The worse thing about it is that people think this is diverse- I would like to open their eyes a bit more to what it is like to stand on a corner and realize, that inside your own country, you are the only English-speaking white person there. Now that is what I call diverse. And the racism and attitudes of these white folks are shamefull. Having a very unwelcoming spirit in this city would put anyone off from moving here- they are even unwelcoming to a returning native- they can keep their granola eating- Petrulli wearing sense of culture and realize that this city is not all that and could learn a few leassons in hospitality and more so about acceptance of other cultures other than the local Scando-Minnesotan sphere of stoic relations.

Old 03-02-2011, 03:33 PM

232 posts, read 735,958 times
Yea, I felt a lot of the things you did, ExpatDuluth; originally I came back here because I was basically maxed out on Minneapolis rents, and after living downtown, while there was some sense of diversity, it was the same people every single day. It was a small town in it's own way...and I loved the fact that there were other racial groups, there was a gay friendly attitude (although the gay people despise each other and love ripping each other apart) I felt like I was wasting my time because I didn't feel like it was a whole lot different than Duluth in many ways.

So I came back to Duluth and saw many different shades of faces (but no gay people - gay people don't go where there's no money - which is why there are no signs of gay life in Duluth, Detroit, etc., but you go to the places that have a large gay community and it's all based on affluence - unless you have a masters and enough money to spring on a $500k condo, good luck living in those places). So I'm at the point now where I'm done with Minnesota...I'd love to find an affordable place with cool people. I want a place that has racial diversity but without the religious fanatics in those communities and instead see a lot of people from any background who believes in themselves to do whatever they can. I very much see the people who have arrived in Duluth and do not believe they have come here 'to start over'. They've come here because they've given up, and there's no waiting list for social services.

It's changing here a little, but I'm downtown enough to know that this is, and always will be, a city for straight people who are married and have kids. If you're a single adult, you're gonna hate it here because 1) you'll never meet anyone and 2) it's impossible to relate to anyone here.

Old 04-09-2011, 07:05 AM

437 posts, read 815,562 times
I feel this way about the small city I live in in NW WI. Only a bit different in that unless I want to get drunk and sit in a bar, go deer hunting, watch football or milk cows, there is absolutely nothing else here that anyone has any interest in. And all of the above do not interest me one bit.

I actually like Duluth, it's in a nice location and so much to do along the north shore. In reality I wouldn't even mind living up there though I prefer to be back in Alaska or the PNW (Pacific Northwest) where there are so many different cultural things that I enjoy.

This community where I live is definately for straight, ultra-conservative types. In all the time I was gone (7 years from the area) I've not seen a single change in progression towards a more modern approach to anything. Everything is the same as when I left. The only change is new growth out towards HWY 53 with the additon of new stores like Kohl's, Menards, etc. If you call that progression....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duluth07 View Post
Yea, I felt a lot of the things you did, ExpatDuluth; originally I came back here because I was basically maxed out on Minneapolis rents, and after living downtown, while there was some sense of diversity, it was the same people every single day. It was a small town in it's own way...and I loved the fact that there were other racial groups, there was a gay friendly attitude (although the gay people despise each other and love ripping each other apart) I felt like I was wasting my time because I didn't feel like it was a whole lot different than Duluth in many ways.

So I came back to Duluth and saw many different shades of faces (but no gay people - gay people don't go where there's no money - which is why there are no signs of gay life in Duluth, Detroit, etc., but you go to the places that have a large gay community and it's all based on affluence - unless you have a masters and enough money to spring on a $500k condo, good luck living in those places). So I'm at the point now where I'm done with Minnesota...I'd love to find an affordable place with cool people. I want a place that has racial diversity but without the religious fanatics in those communities and instead see a lot of people from any background who believes in themselves to do whatever they can. I very much see the people who have arrived in Duluth and do not believe they have come here 'to start over'. They've come here because they've given up, and there's no waiting list for social services.

It's changing here a little, but I'm downtown enough to know that this is, and always will be, a city for straight people who are married and have kids. If you're a single adult, you're gonna hate it here because 1) you'll never meet anyone and 2) it's impossible to relate to anyone here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Duluth