Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2015, 02:47 AM

10,599 posts, read 17,896,657 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jotucker99 View Post
- If I live in a low cost of living area.

- Bought all my food from the grocery store and cooked it.

- Tried to buy more CHICKEN than Beef.

- Have a low value car without full coverage insurance (if I had a car at all)

- Didn't have student loans.

- Rented a studio apartment that's almost empty.

- Didn't have cable.

- Didn't have a girlfriend that I had to "entertain"

- Rarely went out to clubs, bars, sporting events, restaurants, movies, etc.

- And last but not least....if I didn't have kids.......

Then yes, someone could live off that if it's 40 hours a week. That's just about $32,000 a year gross. Not only could you live on that but you could live OK with that, OK = not living paycheck to paycheck totally.

If you have a kid, forget about it, especially with an American Woman as she will make sure that your child support is about $20,000 a year out of your $32,000 a year gross salary!
One of the most amazing comments I've ever read on the internet.

The KID should starve, or survive on tuna/potatoes/beans/, live like a pauper, not attend college, etc because ....THEY (not the MOTHER) aren't WORTH child support.

Men ought to think about this BEFORE creating a life that will be totally dependent on them. Bad enough they lose a FAMILY but now have to live like paupers for the FATHER. Or have to grow up exposed to some hostile negative nasty man always putting down the mother.

IMO, once you have a kid you ought to be WILLING to work a complete second job for 18 years if you cannot afford YOUR FAIR SHARE of financial RESPONSIBILITY. Not be worried about girlfriends and going to bars.

Really outrageous and MEAN. I pity your kids. But they're not alone in the hostile, resentful father department.

SPECIFICALLY, how much SHOULD your kid need to live? Name a figure. And it has NOTHING to do with your income. HOW MUCH DOES A KID COST YEARLY? How much does it cost to save for college? How much does it cost to PUT A RESERVE EMERGENCY FUND ASIDE of eighteen months living expenses like the experts recommend. How much do diapers alone cost? How about vitamins? They cost about $60.00 a year alone. Tell THAT to your GIRLFRIEND.

P.S. If you are the "victim" of one of these rotten American Women who you got pregnant because your were more concerned with booty call over creating another HUMAN BEING... while making 32K a year no less? You should be fully aware that the courts have a percentage scale that applies to EVERY parent and you have no reason to complain OR BLAME the MOTHER. Direct your anger where it belongs - at yourself.

Last edited by runswithscissors; 02-05-2015 at 03:03 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2015, 06:26 AM

15,074 posts, read 10,101,447 times
note.. OP's location is Canada.

Old 02-05-2015, 07:36 AM

3,490 posts, read 6,100,021 times
Not listing a city or state was incompetent.

I'm really wondering why anyone is offering you more than minimum wage for a job that requires mental ability, no offense meant.

In New York City, no. In the crappy Midwest or excellent Mountain West, you can easily live on that and in some places support a family on that.

PS. Lucky the guy above me stated your location. In Canada, so I'm assuming your paid in CAD rather than USD, you can do it as long as you're not living in the highest cost areas. IE, if you're in Edmonton, you'll be fine.

PPS. Seems we got off topic with rants about child support. While it would be great for every child to have access to wonderful resources, if neither the father nor the mother makes a large amount of money, it is unreasonable to assume the money just has to be there. People should work on wearing condoms and using more reliable birth control so they don't have to pay child support.

Old 02-05-2015, 07:47 AM

36,754 posts, read 14,828,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by runswithscissors View Post
One of the most amazing comments I've ever read on the internet.

The KID should starve, or survive on tuna/potatoes/beans/, live like a pauper, not attend college, etc because ....THEY (not the MOTHER) aren't WORTH child support.

Men ought to think about this BEFORE creating a life that will be totally dependent on them. Bad enough they lose a FAMILY but now have to live like paupers for the FATHER. Or have to grow up exposed to some hostile negative nasty man always putting down the mother.

IMO, once you have a kid you ought to be WILLING to work a complete second job for 18 years if you cannot afford YOUR FAIR SHARE of financial RESPONSIBILITY. Not be worried about girlfriends and going to bars.

Really outrageous and MEAN. I pity your kids. But they're not alone in the hostile, resentful father department.

SPECIFICALLY, how much SHOULD your kid need to live? Name a figure. And it has NOTHING to do with your income. HOW MUCH DOES A KID COST YEARLY? How much does it cost to save for college? How much does it cost to PUT A RESERVE EMERGENCY FUND ASIDE of eighteen months living expenses like the experts recommend. How much do diapers alone cost? How about vitamins? They cost about $60.00 a year alone. Tell THAT to your GIRLFRIEND.

P.S. If you are the "victim" of one of these rotten American Women who you got pregnant because your were more concerned with booty call over creating another HUMAN BEING... while making 32K a year no less? You should be fully aware that the courts have a percentage scale that applies to EVERY parent and you have no reason to complain OR BLAME the MOTHER. Direct your anger where it belongs - at yourself.

Men are the only ones who should "think about this" before creating a life?

How about the women who are content to keep flopping out kids by different fathers, then go on to finger Uncle Sam as the baby daddy? It's the responsibility of BOTH parties.

Old 02-05-2015, 07:52 AM

1,456 posts, read 1,510,717 times
Sure you can but you need to really make some smart choices. Look at the example of many minorities who came to the US and worked jobs to get ahead. They live many people to a house and work two jobs for many years till they get a nest egg then buy a house or move into their own place.

If you have family you can live with for 6 months so you can get some money put int he bank for emergencies-that would be good.

But yes it is worse than it was 20 years ago overall in the US.

Old 02-05-2015, 08:09 AM

2,441 posts, read 2,608,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
A roommate in a studio, or a 1-br. apt.? How would that work? Have someone sleep on the couch in the living room? (If the OP could even afford a 1-br.)
A one bedroom or studio is usually more than half the cost of a two bedroom.

Old 02-05-2015, 08:22 AM

18,548 posts, read 15,586,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by helpingfalcon View Post
Well I have done the calculations.. it seems ok.. I even seem to have money left over to still own my car and motorcycle.
Are you including saving for repairs and replacement? A lot of people forget to include that. Also, what about health insurance?

Old 02-05-2015, 08:27 AM

388 posts, read 536,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lurtsman View Post
Not listing a city or state was incompetent.

I'm really wondering why anyone is offering you more than minimum wage for a job that requires mental ability, no offense meant.

In New York City, no. In the crappy Midwest or excellent Mountain West, you can easily live on that and in some places support a family on that.

PS. Lucky the guy above me stated your location. In Canada, so I'm assuming your paid in CAD rather than USD, you can do it as long as you're not living in the highest cost areas. IE, if you're in Edmonton, you'll be fine.

PPS. Seems we got off topic with rants about child support. While it would be great for every child to have access to wonderful resources, if neither the father nor the mother makes a large amount of money, it is unreasonable to assume the money just has to be there. People should work on wearing condoms and using more reliable birth control so they don't have to pay child support.

Wow... it's interesting how being anonymous can make people extremely rude.

By the way, the poster above probably noticed their location was Canada based on the "LOCATION: CANADA" section clearly visible on the poster's header bar, which you seemed to have missed. Yet you are criticizing others' mental ability?

Old 02-05-2015, 09:30 AM

3,336 posts, read 2,138,222 times
I'm unsure how far $16.50/hr goes in Canada, but even in a low cost area of the US that's around the cutoff for which a single individual with no kids can live independently in a non crime-infested area, afford health insurance, and perhaps save a small amount of money for emergencies & retirement. That's provided they have little or no monthly debt payments as well.

Old 02-05-2015, 09:47 AM

18,548 posts, read 15,586,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpinionInOcala View Post
I'm unsure how far $16.50/hr goes in Canada, but even in a low cost area of the US that's around the cutoff for which a single individual with no kids can live independently in a non crime-infested area, afford health insurance, and perhaps save a small amount of money for emergencies & retirement. That's provided they have little or no monthly debt payments as well.
Again, it depends on lifestyle expectations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance