Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2017, 11:57 AM

6,438 posts, read 6,924,520 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BellaLind View Post
I've made the unfortunate mistake of specializing in a field that tends to be centered in three major cities... with a high COL.
So have I. Fortunately it also pays well. I grew up in Cleveland but got the hell out of there at 17... no opportunity unless you wanted to be "Turn a Bolt Bob," and his job got axed by the end of the 1970s.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2017, 10:42 PM

4,668 posts, read 3,902,967 times
I was born in 87' and I wouldn't change that. It's not that hard to live a good life. Expenses are low and there are plenty of good paying jobs. I don't have to worry about working in a factory and crime is low.

It's easier then ever to travel the world and what's happening in space travel and robotics is amazing. I'm a little jealous of my nephews and nieces, their generation will likely be the first to leave the gravitational field of earth.

I don't understand why people think millennials are living during a bad time period, it's a great time to be alive.

Old 06-08-2017, 12:09 AM

1,141 posts, read 1,209,622 times
I was born in 79' and I've very happy that I wasn't born I'd say past 85'. I have little interest regarding technology, I'm not great on computers, and I'm just thankful that I'm old enough to be in upper management and not have to compete as a 25 year old today with all the job competition young people now face. I look back on how I grew up and being a child in the 80's where we spend after school hours playing tackle football or manhunt with friends, and then riding our bikes home from school seems like a much healthier alternative to sitting at home inside on a screen.

There are some impressive things however that have come with the internet over the last 20 years which I really like. AirBNB and the fact that I can stay almost anywhere in the world for a month, or however long I want is pretty cool. While living overseas, I can watch any sports event on my computer that's going on in the U.S. I also like the increase in accountability held by companies or other establishments offering services and products, due to the fact that everything is shared on the internet. Medical services, restaurant reviews, movie reviews, Amazon and other online shopping sites, and even the exchanges of info/ideas here at City Data are all pretty great.

I was barely old enough to see both worlds, before and after the internet came, and a Google search certainly beats how we use to use the Yellow Pages to call up if a store or place was open. I guess experiencing both worlds is best imo, and there are certainly good and bad things that come from each era.

Old 06-10-2017, 09:13 PM

9,376 posts, read 6,985,952 times
I was lucky to get my BS and MS done before the cost of education blew up. I was also lucky to get into the workforce and catch on with a Fortune 500 corp before the economy went to crap.

I'm glad to have a cheap education and a valuable skill set. As the boomers start to retire I should have the pick of the roost as positions open up.

Old 06-11-2017, 09:31 PM
JRR

8,166 posts, read 5,668,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by s1alker View Post
Yeah I would have liked the boomer era. Graduate high school, walk downtown to the union factory and get a job making union wages and retire with a fat pension.
Yep, that is how it was. A union factory/job/pension on every corner. Life was all unicorns and rosebuds. Don't know how any of us managed to miss that gravy train but I'm still waiting on that fat pension.

Old 06-12-2017, 04:26 PM

289 posts, read 220,132 times
Born in the mid-80's, I'd like to have been born about 15 years earlier. My only concern really is that 15 year gap might make the difference between a comfortable retirement, and possibly not being able to have one at all. I have a set plan, and goals should be reached fairly easily, but I still have concerns.

Old 06-13-2017, 11:38 AM

35,087 posts, read 31,339,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Siegel View Post
All you have to do is find a job in Cleveland...

or just about any other small to medium sized city that is not coastal, or a college town, or a tech capital.
Those "unsexy" heartland metros are where the opportunity is these days. For most people, the big coastal metros are just too expensive. You really need to have sophisticated skills to be able to live well in Seattle, Boston, SF, NYC, etc. Small towns and rural areas generally don't have enough of an employment base to make much money/

Old 06-13-2017, 12:47 PM

4,224 posts, read 3,021,937 times
Let's remember that you're only going to be taking advantage of ONE opportunity, and it might actually be found anywhere. What it might come down to is whether you would rather date all the smart girls and hope you find a pretty one or instead date all the pretty girls and hope you find a smart one.

Old 06-13-2017, 01:27 PM

2,014 posts, read 1,651,048 times
I was born in 1960 and believe me there is nothing great about the past, we mostly dreamed about the year 2000 and our daily trips to the moon and vacations on mars and our cheap robots that would do all our work.

Old 06-13-2017, 11:02 PM

6,438 posts, read 6,924,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
Those "unsexy" heartland metros are where the opportunity is these days. For most people, the big coastal metros are just too expensive. You really need to have sophisticated skills to be able to live well in Seattle, Boston, SF, NYC, etc. Small towns and rural areas generally don't have enough of an employment base to make much money/
There is not much opportunity in Cleveland, or the average house price wouldn't be $60,000.

Columbus, Pittsburgh, Kansas City, Sacramento - sure.

The big coastal metros are where the big paychecks are, in case you happen to be ambitious.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics