Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2017, 03:04 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,165,825 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostee View Post
Do you think we were born too late, and that the economy will never be "great again"? I was born in 1991, I'm just sad for all the other adults my age and their children. The worse part is that there is nothing we can do to go back.
Minimalism: it's your Future.

What is Minimalism?

Living With Less - The Atlantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happiness-is-close View Post
If history repeats itself this decade of hardship should be followed by another decade or two of grand prosperity. I'm hoping for the best.
In order for history to repeat itself, the conditions must be the same.

So, just to be sure we're clear on the concept, you're advocating that the US murder heads-of-State and overthrow governments in Central & South America and elsewhere to keep Capital flowing into the US so you have a better life?

Because that's what the US did during the 1950s and 1960s.

Capital, free Capital and not Colonial Capital, flows to where ever there is the potential for growth.

There is limited potential for growth in the US and 1st World States, but there is massive potential for growth in the 3rd and 4th World States.

The Chinese Middle Class is currently 300 Million-strong, but eventually, it will be 500 Million and they will be eager to consume resources, just like the 300 Million-strong Indian Middle Class will be clamoring for resources. That doesn't even include the remaining 2 Billion people who don't even have electricity, but who will be desiring a Life-Style and Standard of Living greater than what they now have over the next several decades.

There will be plenty of prosperity, just not in the US.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2017, 03:11 PM

14,078 posts, read 16,611,637 times
No, I don't wish I'd been born prior to the 80s. That means I'd be older than I am...or dead.

Old 01-14-2017, 03:48 PM

5,984 posts, read 3,458,081 times
Nah, I'm in my 20s and happy with when I was born.

I don't particularly think we've reached a point where you can't get a good life by working hard enough towards your goals, and even if we have I've always been fairly minimalist and against grandiose lifestyles anyways, with the exception of an occasional vacation.

Old 01-14-2017, 04:11 PM

10,075 posts, read 7,542,084 times
minimalistic life? its been like that for the last 1000 years of humanity, it wasnt until last 100 years that technology has advanced enough to have a lot more than minimal lifestyles. if it took a month to save something, you dont go buying multiples of it and discarding it when it breaks down. today people discard items which cost them a month's pay like its nothing when a new product comes out. look how phones/computers are treated. look at the food that gets tossed out because it spoiled or didnt taste how they wanted. a shirt gets a hole in it, do they patch it up these days? more likely to see them toss it and buy a new one.

how grand is it to travel the world? i can fly around the world in 48 hours instead of 48 weeks by boat and train. and it costs me a weeks pay to do it. i can live for a year on 4 months pay.

we expect the world to be at our fingertips with little effort, when it isnt, there is something wrong with society? i dont get how people seem to think life has to be easy. so what if somethings are hard, there is another 80 years to figure it out. if someone lacks money, work hard for 5-10 years and fix the problem

Old 01-14-2017, 04:18 PM

23,688 posts, read 9,383,197 times
I am a millennial but I wish I would have been a baby boomer or a member of the Greatest Generation.

Old 01-14-2017, 05:19 PM

20,160 posts, read 12,760,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MLSFan View Post
minimalistic life? its been like that for the last 1000 years of humanity, it wasnt until last 100 years that technology has advanced enough to have a lot more than minimal lifestyles. if it took a month to save something, you dont go buying multiples of it and discarding it when it breaks down. today people discard items which cost them a month's pay like its nothing when a new product comes out. look how phones/computers are treated. look at the food that gets tossed out because it spoiled or didnt taste how they wanted. a shirt gets a hole in it, do they patch it up these days? more likely to see them toss it and buy a new one.

how grand is it to travel the world? i can fly around the world in 48 hours instead of 48 weeks by boat and train. and it costs me a weeks pay to do it. i can live for a year on 4 months pay.

we expect the world to be at our fingertips with little effort, when it isnt, there is something wrong with society? i dont get how people seem to think life has to be easy. so what if somethings are hard, there is another 80 years to figure it out. if someone lacks money, work hard for 5-10 years and fix the problem
No kidding. My millennial kid has 3 trips planned, 2 are overseas and last year she spent 3 weeks overseas. All on her own dime of course but the bottom line is, she doesn't save the maximum she could, but at least she's saving.

Old 01-14-2017, 05:33 PM

11,445 posts, read 10,483,449 times
I was born in 1995. While I would like to have experienced being a young adult in the 90s, I'm glad that I'm still young now and don't wish I was born in a different year.

Old 01-15-2017, 12:03 AM

11,655 posts, read 12,956,707 times
I was born in 1992. Although I loved my childhood in the late 90s and early 2000s, I'm very curious to see how childhood would've been like in the late 80s.

Old 01-15-2017, 05:21 AM

1,767 posts, read 1,742,996 times
Times have been tough throughout the decades of the past century- the difference is whether you are one of the haves or the have not's- just the same as today. Times can be tough for anyone that is a have not no matter what era they are living in.

I agree with you that the increasing capabilities if AI and robotics coupled with advanced health care causing rising global populations will put more individuals in a position of despair unless more industries are created that AI will not dominate. It seems every generation has mountainous struggles to overcome whether it a major depression, an insane dictator, world war's or climate issues such as floods & fires. The best one can do is try and anticipate the future, stick & move accordingly.

Old 01-15-2017, 07:56 AM

10,225 posts, read 7,585,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostee View Post
Do you think we were born too late, and that the economy will never be "great again"? I was born in 1991, I'm just sad for all the other adults my age and their children. The worse part is that there is nothing we can do to go back.

I am really sad to see all jobs being replaced by the robots and the AI.

I wish we can see another good age like America did at some point in the 20th century. Not going to happen as long as constant exponential improvement in robots and AI keep up. We can't physically stop it from happening (?)
Dear young person:

What you are seeing is nothing new. In the early 20th Century, our great grandfathers lived through the industrial revolution and the switch from the horse and buggy to the car for transportation. This put countless Americans out of work, as horse keepers and traders went out of business, as workers who hand made things were fired.

Other fields have been impacted by automation since....after WWII, after the 1960s. Automation became increasingly used in the manufacture of cars and other things. Farmers went out of business, as the rise of huge commercial farms with automation became the norm.

When I started working at a young age, there were no computers in the public sphere. Secretaries and clerks typed on typewriters. They made copies using triple carbon paper, and errors had to be erased and retyped. Then came the invention of white-out. That sped things up. Then came the invention of computers to type on and print from. You could print multiple copies.

So businesses didn't need so many clerical staff. What they needed instead was computer staff or computer businesses to hire on contract for programming, technical servicing, then networking.

Whenever one businesses goes down because of progress, another one takes its place. There is your answer.

Don't act like what is going on is new. It has happened to all generations in America. And it's not so damaging to you as the industrial revolution was to our great grandfathers, or farming changes were to our grandfathers. It happened to me and others.

Do you think there should be a room full of typists on typewriters manually making multiple copies, instead of two secretaries using a computer? Do you miss that? Do you realize all those women lost their jobs, with the advent of the computer? THIS IS NOT NEW. You are not "special" as far as that goes. Choose a job that is not changing, or choose one in the one of the new fields.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics