Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2017, 09:20 AM

37,153 posts, read 39,418,669 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
Ultimately.... Will wait and see how much prices are slashed, but as I said below, many items at WF are already inexpensive for the quality. Organic Made in USA products will always cost more. Cannot compare other places like TJ's which lack the same level of quality and don't carry as many organic options Made in USA (if any).

Thing is IMO Whole Foods wasn't expensive to begin with. Only expensive for *select items*. Cannot think of any other place where you can get organic milk for $3.99 and a big bag of organic potatoes from Maine or elsehwere locally for $4.99 or $5.99. Have GMO free olive oil for $6.99, and also carry organic olive oil for around that price on sale. For staples and the quality they offer, they are *not* expensive. If you are too lazy to cook and buy prepared food, then yes can be expensive. Am one that doesn't buy everything at Whole Foods, but most things, and prepare my food from scratch. Why buy prepared organic french fries, when I can buy a bag of organic potatoes and make my own much better in the oven and healthier?
The prices are decent for some organic items, that's true--and some of those have or are going to get cuts anyhow which means more shoppers will be willing to try them to see if they taste/feel a difference and make it their habit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2017, 09:30 AM

12,789 posts, read 8,293,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
The prices are decent for some organic items, that's true--and some of those have or are going to get cuts anyhow which means more shoppers will be willing to try them to see if they taste/feel a difference and make it their habit.
As I said, what costs the most there are specialty items, organic meat and organic fruit, but even the organic fruit, during the summertime or when items are in season, can get deals or whatever. What I do is buy whatever organic fruit I want and take portion sizes with me to work. Doing it that way, even if you buy a pint of organic blueberries at their usual price of $5.99, it works out to about $2.00 a serving (can get roughly three servings out of that), which is reasonable with say a nice organic salad or something else prepared at home as part of lunch. Thing is we as a society have become accustomed to buying TONS of food for next to nothing.

My girlfriend likes shopping at TJ's on occasion because she can buy say two of everything and fill up her refrigerator and then throw out half of that stuff because she never eats it all. We argue about it a lot and then she turns around and says well it's my money I'm throwing away so don't worry about it. I only buy what I need when I need it so nothing is wasted. Lots of shoppers out there with this mentality of I need to buy food like a 20 year storm is approaching. If you shop like that, then yes, Whole Foods is *VERY* expensive and that's why people avoid it. Having lived in Western Europe where food *is* really expensive, am used to shopping this way and making things from scratch, which means things cost very little if shopping with a plan.

Old 08-29-2017, 10:24 AM

Quote:
As I said, what costs the most there are specialty items, organic meat and organic fruit, but even the organic fruit, during the summertime or when items are in season, can get deals or whatever. What I do is buy whatever organic fruit I want and take portion sizes with me to work. Doing it that way, even if you buy a pint of organic blueberries at their usual price of $5.99, it works out to about $2.00 a serving (can get roughly three servings out of that), which is reasonable with say a nice organic salad or something else prepared at home as part of lunch. Thing is we as a society have become accustomed to buying TONS of food for next to nothing.

My girlfriend likes shopping at TJ's on occasion because she can buy say two of everything and fill up her refrigerator and then throw out half of that stuff because she never eats it all. We argue about it a lot and then she turns around and says well it's my money I'm throwing away so don't worry about it. I only buy what I need when I need it so nothing is wasted. Lots of shoppers out there with this mentality of I need to buy food like a 20 year storm is approaching. If you shop like that, then yes, Whole Foods is *VERY* expensive and that's why people avoid it. Having lived in Western Europe where food *is* really expensive, am used to shopping this way and making things from scratch, which means things cost very little if shopping with a plan.
I don't think anyone hasn't seen what you said. That doesn't have much bearing on what I said--many of those prices for things that are pretty day-to-day such as those organic apples are going down regardless is what I am saying. I'm not sure why you're quoting me.

Old 08-29-2017, 10:27 AM

2,053 posts, read 1,527,589 times
So it's going to be known as 'half paycheck' rather than 'whole paycheck' now?

Hasn't WF been accused of overcharging several times?

Old 08-29-2017, 10:27 AM

Quote:
I don't think anyone hasn't seen what you said. That doesn't have much bearing on what I said--many of those prices for things that are pretty day-to-day such as those organic apples are going down regardless is what I am saying. I'm not sure why you're quoting me.
Point is most things weren't *that* expensive to begin with. People are *now* going to start shopping there because of these price cuts? I don't buy it. If people had commonsense to begin with and knew how to shop, would know that they didn't have to wait for Amazon to slash prices to start shopping there because there were already good prices to be had.

Old 08-29-2017, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Point is most things weren't *that* expensive to begin with. People are *now* going to start shopping there because of these price cuts? I don't buy it. If people had commonsense to begin with and knew how to shop, would know that they didn't have to wait for Amazon to slash prices to start shopping there because there were already good prices to be had.
They were comparatively to non-organic products, which makes sense, and this might be enough to lure people to try/buy them with greater frequency. Another important factor is that the publicity from this announcement means a lot more people are going to give Whole Foods a(nother) try because of this announcement from people that had previously written it off for themselves because of their belief about the prices. These price cuts are significant and I'm not sure what you're going on about at this point.

Old 08-29-2017, 11:02 AM

Quote:
They were comparatively to non-organic products, which makes sense, and this might be enough to lure people to try/buy them with greater frequency. Another important factor is that the publicity from this announcement means a lot more people are going to give Whole Foods a(nother) try because of this announcement from people that had previously written it off for themselves because of their belief about the prices. These price cuts are significant and I'm not sure what you're going on about at this point.
Of course they were. In other words, you're saying now people will *run* to Whole Foods and buy organic because of Amazon? Oh how they've seen the light.

Old 08-29-2017, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Of course they were. In other words, you're saying now people will *run* to Whole Foods and buy organic because of Amazon? Oh how they've seen the light.
How do quote something, bold out, and then come out sounding like you didn't quite understand it?

Old 08-29-2017, 01:27 PM

152 posts, read 109,850 times
Quote:
Common sense nor common cents are so common. LOL

Old 08-29-2017, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Its_Her_CC_Q4 View Post
Common sense nor common cents are so common. LOL
Oh couldn't agree more!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics