Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-20-2018, 10:40 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,475,684 times

Advertisements

Cute cartoon .

Thing is Almost half of Americans don’t pay federal income.

https://nypost.com/2017/04/18/almost...al-income-tax/

In California the 1 percenters pay 48 percent of the taxes . The state couldn’t function without the

We’ve seen what happens when

The latest figures have just been released, and the top 1% paid nearly half — 48% — of the state's personal income taxes in 2014.

When it comes to paying taxes, California is Bernie Sanders' kind of state

Old 06-20-2018, 10:41 PM

2,560 posts, read 2,303,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeIsGood01 View Post
The point is you should care and you dont.
Sounds like you are yet one more person who doesn't understand basic economics. Raising minimum wage is not the answer to help poorer folks.

Old 06-20-2018, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hitpausebutton2 View Post
Didnt one person try living with family and got kicked out and taken to court? Times has changed since it was introduce and honestly needs to be freshen to todays standards of living. If they kill the min wage laws, you will see a huge, HUGE drop in unemployment and huge jump in profits in the already monopolies companies we have now. You can profit so much then you got to invest it in your people, because sitting on 12 billion a year after all your bills are paid doesnt do anything to the economy. If every major fortune 500 company would cut the CEO/COO salary in half, they would have enough money to pay each of their employers a dollar more per hour and not hurt their bottom line. Heck, could even give them a 2$ increase and not sweat it with the shareholders. Why is they vote and always approve increase in their(CEO.COO,directors) salary, but will sht on those that need it the most ( employees)
Not necessarily due to a variety of reasons you obviously have no knowledge of and not my responsibility lot educate you.

Old 06-20-2018, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
Now, I know times have changed, but I started working for minimum wage in 1984. I made $3.35/hour. Granted, I wasn't working full time at that point, but the idea that anyone could live independently on $3.35/hour never crossed my mind. Minimum wage jobs were for teens going through school, not for educated adults. When and at what point did people decide that they should be able to support themselves and possibly a family as well on minimum wage??
Bingo!

Old 06-20-2018, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hitpausebutton2 View Post
Problem is rentals are not suppose to be tied to wages, its the owner that makes it tied to wages so they can max their pocket books. Thus pushing the lower income person out and back to square one again. Rinse and repeat each for each wage increase in the area.
It's not the landlord's responsibility to price housing so that a minimum wage worker can afford the housing.

Old 06-20-2018, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
And when one roommate is not enough, get another, and another, and fill the entire apartment up with bunk beds, dormitory style. Because it doesn't matter how miserable your life is, as long as you make your landlord as rich as humanly possible. Just be a good peasant.

Anyway in most cities people already have roomates, and they are still working two or three jobs to pay for the rent.
And your point is? That landlords should lower prices so whomever wants can rent their place? Is that your point?

Old 06-20-2018, 11:04 PM

15,421 posts, read 9,092,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burkmere View Post
And your point is? That landlords should lower prices so whomever wants can rent their place? Is that your point?
Hell no. The rich should continue to screw the poor, and screw them, worse, and worse, and worse, until the poor get fed up and throw out this failed political system of ours. I'm perfectly fine with it. I'm just going to sit here eating popcorn, and watch it happen.

Old 06-20-2018, 11:07 PM

3,022 posts, read 2,276,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddm2k View Post
Store managers can earn $100k+ at In-n-Out. But, to each, their own.

I know I can make $150k+ working for the city of San Fran but that money would fall short of bringing me the quality of life that half that buys on the middle east coast.
That is great but not everyone can be a manager. A business can not succeed with all their employees being managers. Someone has to do the jobs under managers.

Old 06-20-2018, 11:10 PM

3,022 posts, read 2,276,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InchingWest View Post
Why should he, or anyone, care? If you are working for minimum wage you are either a sucker or you have no real marketable job skills, and probably both. Minimum wage is for 14 and 15 year olds, and even then there is some healthy competition in the marketplace for kids who are willing to show up on time ready to work.

The whole point of getting into the workforce in your teens is to develop some very basic job skills about how to show up on time, take orders/direction/instruction, and learn that the person who writes your paycheck is ultimately your boss, and so is anyone appointed as an intermediary (supervisor, foreman, etc.). Essentially at that age you learn how to learn, and you develop an understanding of what employment and work is all about. Heck, some people might even develop a solid work ethic and learn how to bring a healthy attitude to the workplace.
I keep hearing min wage is for teens and part timers but have yet to see anyone actually post any evidence that this is true seems like there are just saying their opinion. Many people develop basic jobs skills but are still working low wage jobs. Your mistake is thinking that all employers really care about that stuff and are going to reward people for it.

Old 06-20-2018, 11:42 PM

10,770 posts, read 5,687,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
Hell no. The rich should continue to screw the poor, and screw them, worse, and worse, and worse, until the poor get fed up and throw out this failed political system of ours. I'm perfectly fine with it. I'm just going to sit here eating popcorn, and watch it happen.
The poor are poor, not because they are being screwed by the rich, but because they keep making dedisions that contribute to their poverty.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics