Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2018, 05:39 AM

10,098 posts, read 4,085,432 times

Advertisements

I'm wondering how you all feel about that?

I have read a few articles about all the stickiness of this issue regarding wills and inheritance.

It's a divisive issue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2018, 06:20 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,875,858 times
Too many factors to make a blanket statement but I'll tell you this:

It's not uncommon for parents to do this. For instance, my mom's mom did not have a lot and did not leave my mom anything because she had a different father from the other siblings and had already inherited a chunk from her paternal grandmother.

Parents who have a child with a substance abuse problem sometimes don't leave that child money - it would only escalate their issues.

Parents sometimes have no relationship or a very poor relationship with one or more of their kids and this sad reality is reflected in their will.

Sometimes one child takes on most or even all of the responsibility of caring for elderly parents and those parents leave that child more of their estate.

In other words there are sometimes very reasonable reasons for different inheritances.

And sometimes it makes no sense to the survivors. But regardless, it is the parents' money and they can do with it what they will, but you know that.

Do you know the reason for the differences in inheritances in your parents' wills?

Old 06-19-2018, 06:40 AM

50,351 posts, read 63,928,555 times
Sometimes parents have given a lot of money to some children over the years, while other children have not needed it, so they try to even it out in their will.

Old 06-19-2018, 06:50 AM

15,250 posts, read 12,952,205 times
It's a parent's one last chance to stick it to the scapegoat child.

Or one of the siblings has worked long and secretly through psychological manipulation to convince the parent that s/he should be appointed executor of the estate, because the other adult children are naive about investments and cannot be trusted with large sums of money.

Old 06-19-2018, 07:05 AM

1,360 posts, read 1,390,083 times
It probably wasn't meant to be divisive. They did what they felt was best. You need to let that go. Be happy you got anything. They could have donated their money to charity.

Old 06-19-2018, 07:13 AM

9,851 posts, read 7,718,719 times
They probably spent different amounts of money on each sibling when they were alive too.

Old 06-19-2018, 07:26 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 4 days ago)

35,612 posts, read 17,940,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraG View Post
They probably spent different amounts of money on each sibling when they were alive too.
We're facing that. We spent a LOT more on one child's college education than the others.

We've decided an amount (it's actually a small fraction of the excess we spent) and he needs to pay us that back - completely interest free - so that we don't have to make a difference in the amounts given in the will.

Because fair's fair. Everyone could see he got 3X the amount of college funding than the others, and we really want to leave it where everyone feels like they got a fair shot even though the numbers won't really work out that way.

It's the spirit of the thing.

Parents who punitively give kids different amounts are setting their descendants up for a lifetime of ill will.

Is that really the way to go out of this life?

Old 06-19-2018, 07:34 AM

5,907 posts, read 4,428,919 times
Honestly, it’s a pretty private decision. Whether someone decides to donate it, or scatter it to the wind, that’s their decision.

Old 06-19-2018, 08:23 AM

3,677 posts, read 2,559,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thatsright19 View Post
Honestly, it’s a pretty private decision. Whether someone decides to donate it, or scatter it to the wind, that’s their decision.
my late husband and I decided against inheritances just for that reason. I absolutely hate the assumption that this country has that every thing in life with kids has to be "fair". and the kids expectation that they are "owed" something.

We have told our young adults children that our money is exactly that. OUR money. we have charities that we support and will leave the bulk of our estate to them.

During their life time they have gotten. college education without loans, cars, vacations and various financial help. Now they are going to get an attitude because they think their inheritances aren't fair?? are you kidding me!!

op, it's only a decisive issue if you make it one. Your parents left you a gift, they were under no obligation to do so.

Old 06-19-2018, 08:30 AM

3,677 posts, read 2,559,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
We're facing that. We spent a LOT more on one child's college education than the others.

It's the spirit of the thing.

Parents who punitively give kids different amounts are setting their descendants up for a lifetime of ill will.

Is that really the way to go out of this lif
e?

Only because the children become greedy and self centered. (in general, I include my own babies) Sorry but I really think it's that simple. you say you dropped a lot of cash on a child's college and then that child is going to have the NERVE to get upset because he did not get what he feels is the same upon your death.

I'm sorry I find this thought process absolutely amazing.

lol, how about we teach our descendants that no one is "owed" any thing and if some one leaves them 25.00 bucks that's 25 bucks more than they had to work for?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics