Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2011, 07:20 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,314,203 times

Advertisements

In our town you have to live a mile or more from the elementary school or 1.5 miles or more from the middle and high schools to ride the bus. YOu can opt in and PAY for busing if you live closer. What our district DOESN'T do that I wish they would is an opt OUT for bus service so they aren't sending nearly empty buses around town.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2011, 07:31 AM

13,254 posts, read 33,530,868 times
There is an opt out option for buses in our school district. It's aimed mostly at HS students, but anyone can opt out. Many HS parents choose NOT to opt out even if their student has an assigned (and paid for) parking space just in case they need to take the bus for whatever reason.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 07-01-2011, 10:26 AM

4,629 posts, read 4,898,966 times
Most districts in northern california don't have free busing. In my district, busing will cost you $40/month (half off or free with "financial hardships"). Walking distance is 2 miles for elementary and 2.8 miles for middle. High Schools are a different district than elementary and middle schools. The High School district, which is served partially by two different lower districts, is about the same price for buses, but walking distance is 3 miles.

This city is 36 mi^2. Served by 7 high schools, 5 middle schools, and 14 elementary schools. There are very few kids that live outside the 2-3 mile radius... This leads to horriable traffic at every school.

Old 07-01-2011, 02:11 PM

2,888 posts, read 6,539,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by syed2011 View Post
many people take rent home to stay away from property taxes.
If you rent, the landlord is paying taxes. Believe me, your landlord is recovering the cost of the taxes in your rent. So, if you pay rent or a mortgage - you are paying for the schools.

Old 07-01-2011, 02:43 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,705,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
I wondered when transportation would turn into teacher bashing. Doesn't usually take this long.
questioning the generosity of teacher compensation isnt teacher bashing. i love teachers, they are sweeties. i just want to pay them less.

Old 07-01-2011, 02:58 PM

45,396 posts, read 60,592,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
questioning the generosity of teacher compensation isnt teacher bashing. i love teachers, they are sweeties. i just want to pay them less.

Indirect bash.

Addiction counselors get paid too much, especially since many are paid with public funds, so their salaries/fees need to be cut. Political analysts, also. And economic advisors, especially when the advice is wrong.

See how that works?

Old 07-01-2011, 03:05 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,705,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Indirect bash.

Addiction counselors get paid too much, especially since many are paid with public funds, so their salaries/fees need to be cut. Political analysts, also. And economic advisors, especially when the advice is wrong.

See how that works?
its not an indirect bash at all. its fair to question the compensation level and it has nothing to do with bashing the person. i heard some teacher call a radio show and ask "why does governor christie hate me?" it was so pathetic. nobody hates you, we just want to pay you less.

Old 07-01-2011, 03:22 PM

45,396 posts, read 60,592,880 times
We. Why?

Old 07-01-2011, 04:06 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,736,880 times
Jennifer I sort of get where your reactions come from but your posts are becoming just reactionary. There are already far too many reactionary irrational responses occurring currently as is. Not exactly helpful anymore.

Old 07-01-2011, 04:26 PM

4,469 posts, read 7,196,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
Around here living far from school is fine. You get a bus if you live more than 2 miles from your school. It's people who live 1.9 miles from the school that have problems. It's to far to walk and not far enough to get a bus. Plus-our district rezones homes all the time so what you buy is not necessarily what you get when it comes to schools.
If I didn't know you were in Florida that comment alone would tell me. My house is zoned for the either the third- or fourth- closest elementary school (depends on which route you take) and would require using a school bus. The closest is walking distance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education