Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2011, 09:15 PM

14,247 posts, read 17,916,997 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by toobusytoday View Post
It's taught in third grade in our school district and they do call it cursive. Unfortunately, it's really not emphasized and none of my kids do it well. Not sure my cursive is all that hot either after too many years of using a keyboard. All of my kids are extremely fast on the keyboard and watching them try to write something in cursive is painful.
After leaving college at 21, I too was a keyboard user. Then, when I was 37, I decided to do an MBA and that involved a 3 hour written exam at the end of year one (years two and three as well). When I say written, I mean me, a pen, and several sheets of paper.

Keyboards are all very well. But, in real life, you never know when you will need those writing skills.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2011, 10:18 PM

1,431 posts, read 2,480,094 times
I'm 21, and we learned cursive in 2nd and 3rd grade. In class (high school and college) print was overwhelmingly preferred. My handwriting is bad and largely intelligible only to me, but cursive allows my hand to fly as the lecturer dictates. To stop teaching cursive will render a great quantity of the written word indecipherable to the succeeding generations of young people.

Old 08-20-2011, 10:58 PM

1,245 posts, read 2,211,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
It's also called the Palmer method. And to answer your question, NO they do not teach it any more. If you ever happen to get a hand written (or should I say printed) note or letter from anyone under 20 it looks like they held the pen it with their toes.

Welcome to the computer age.

Conscientious parents teach cursive to their children. It's civilized, which of course, is what our nation is becoming less and less....civilized, that is.

20yrsinBranson
Yes, because cursive is a pillar of civilization. We're moving towards a nomadic world in 2011

Old 08-20-2011, 11:13 PM

5,747 posts, read 12,049,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lhpartridge View Post
It's not tested, therefore, it is no longer taught.
It would appear from the responses to the thread that cursive is still a part of the elementary curriculum in many parts of the U.S.

Last edited by formercalifornian; 08-20-2011 at 11:30 PM..

Old 08-21-2011, 12:08 AM

4,280 posts, read 6,083,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyonpa View Post
My cursive was so bad in 5/6th Grade, all my teacher told me to print. One Issue, to come is when you ask someone to sign a contract or check, they 'print' there name? or are going back to place your mark on the page.....
I know a lot of people who don't know cursive. When you take the SAT, you have to copy a paragraph that has to be done in cursive. The proctors instruct those who don't know cursive to just make the letters connect.

Old 08-21-2011, 12:58 AM

1,481 posts, read 1,378,139 times
I think our district still teaches it IDK. I never used it since I left HS, expect to sign my name and I am 61. Now that I don't write checks as much anymore, that is a very rare occurance.

Old 08-21-2011, 06:50 AM

973 posts, read 1,704,836 times
I am the one the OP is referring to as I had mentioned that I had a few of my students who couldn't read cursive, so needed a "translator" for my comments and what I wrote on the board.

For this coming aschool year, it will no longer be taught in Indiana but it has happened in many other places, I am afraid. AND I am one who says it NEEDS to still be taught, due to not only what some of you had written (LOVE the civilized comment), but also studies have shown that there is a direct corelation between not only helping with eye-hand-brain cooordination but also that it helps retaining information as well as writing longer, complex sentence!! But besides this, we tend to get a "feel" for the person when we read their handwriting. My students last year had Swedish pen pals and their teacher and I decided that the first 3 exchanges would be handwritten and sent "snail mail", and when the letters arrived, one would think it was CHRISTMAS as paper used and handwriting were the topics of discussion as well as what was said. AND when the time to do it electonically came to pass, my kids were disappointed.... But it is not only these letters, but all the recorded HISTORY and the feel for the people as we look at what they had written. IT IS different to look at The Gettysburg Address in a textbook and then at Lincoln's draft as he changed words...and thought about what he wanted to say. AND what about the great LOVE LETTERS??? When we no longer are able read these and they become like hieroglyphics.

Younger people tend to agree with this, but then again, youth only sees the present.

Take a gander at this:
The Handwriting Is on the Wall

This is a dying art, but one that needs NOT to die.....and I am ADAMANT in this. Enough is enough with computers!!!

Old 08-21-2011, 06:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BJW50 View Post
I think our district still teaches it IDK. I never used it since I left HS, expect to sign my name and I am 61. Now that I don't write checks as much anymore, that is a very rare occurance.

NEVER????? YOU never wrote thank you notes or sympathy cards or love letters or ANYTHING in cursive in almost 50 years?????

Old 08-21-2011, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by formercalifornian View Post
It would appear from the responses to the thread that cursive is still a part of the elementary curriculum in many parts of the U.S.

Hit and miss ....but too, learning and holding accountable for these writing skills are two different things! I think that stopped in the 70's, from what I can tell teaching as less and less students wrote in cursive by the time I got them in high school.... Hmmmmm a thought just came to me. That is really when all heck broke lose as far as RULES and standards of a society due to MY generation...

Old 08-21-2011, 07:14 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,152,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
If you ever happen to get a hand written (or should I say printed) note or letter from anyone under 20 it looks like they held the pen it with their toes.
Oh please, give me a break and don't be ridiculous. "A hand written (or should I say printed) note or letter from anyone under 20" doesn't look anything like "they held the pen with their toes."

It looks more like they held it with their elbows.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education