Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should they paddle kids in school?
YES! That will straighten those bad kids out 10 18.18%
NO! Its cruel Punishment 29 52.73%
Only if the parents approve in writing 16 29.09%
Voters: 55. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2008, 06:04 PM

9,598 posts, read 16,570,037 times

Advertisements

I have taught at two different schools in (surprise, surprise) Texas where Paddling actually occurred. Parents had to consent to the paddling. I only agree with this on a constitutional level as in loco parentis should give the parents this option if the option is available. As for the concept, I disagree as it does not work. Parents don't always do what is right, however they still have a right to discipline their children in a manner they see fit as long as it does not cause lasting physical damage to the child. The way they paddled in these schools, the anticipation was much more painful than the paddling itself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2008, 08:28 PM

285 posts, read 1,091,331 times
I would just like to share the fact that the Dr. Phil Show has a segment airing on Friday, May 16, entitled "Spanking Scandals," and I believe that every educator, parent, policy maker, and elected official should see the level of child abuse that is tolerated in schools in the land of the free.
North Carolina is a progressive state in many ways, but unfortunately, not when it comes to the treatment of children. One guest on this show is a mother from McDowell County, NC, whose son was abused by a teacher who took two wooden boards, bound together in black electrical tape, and struck this child. Joey sought emergent medical care for his contusions and welts that lasted a week. The teacher was not charged or suspended for beating this child black and blue.

Old 05-16-2008, 04:45 AM

196 posts, read 208,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by questioner2 View Post
I remember in the good old days of the 1960s if a kid were to goof off in class or do pretty much anything wrong, he would get the paddle. I also remember kids being slammed against the lockers like crazy by some very aggressive teachers. I suspect this has ended in an era of political correctness and overzealous lawyers. But maybe not, how about in some small towns in the south?

Should they bring back the paddle in school?

nowdays, the kids slam each other against the lockers, and the paddle is a sex toy to the teachers in many places, just like the text messaging is to them... I live in the south, not a small town, but how does a small town in the south seem like it would still be on the list?....lol...teachers have come a long way down in many places, the day they started "hitting on kids" in a sexual way is when the kids began to take a new stand perhaps....the beat goes on ya might say....

Old 05-16-2008, 07:17 AM

604 posts, read 1,186,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pegmomof4 View Post
I would just like to share the fact that the Dr. Phil Show has a segment airing on Friday, May 16, entitled "Spanking Scandals," and I believe that every educator, parent, policy maker, and elected official should see the level of child abuse that is tolerated in schools in the land of the free.
North Carolina is a progressive state in many ways, but unfortunately, not when it comes to the treatment of children. One guest on this show is a mother from McDowell County, NC, whose son was abused by a teacher who took two wooden boards, bound together in black electrical tape, and struck this child. Joey sought emergent medical care for his contusions and welts that lasted a week. The teacher was not charged or suspended for beating this child black and blue.
Maybe that's because the mother allowed it to happen. Not only did she sign the consent form, but she also denied the opportunity to prevent it from happening THAT day when the principal called her presenting the option to pick him up from school. That was an administrative courtesy because the NC law only requires the parent to be notified after CP has already been administered.

I've searched and searched but there is no complete investigation of the "other side". O ONE has told the WHOLE story. Like, why was the kid in alternative school to start with? He was TWELVE. That means he had to do something pretty disruptive. Some articles refer to a sexual assault on a female. At age 12? What did the kid REALLY do to provoke this paddling? I know for sure he had to have done something pretty bad and definitely something more than just saying "shut up". How often does this teacher actually administer CP? Does he not work with the kids that have been expelled or suspended from regular school because of some seriously disruptive behavior? What landed Joey in ALC at the age of 12 for the remainder of the school year? How about this teacher? Does he have kids? I bet he's never had to spank his own children. Is he well respected in the school and community? If his practices are so controversial, what approach would you recommend for a teacher responsible for the kids who nobody else wants? The kids who bring weapons or drugs to school? How has the mother disciplined this child throughout his life? What approaches has she taken?? Why is she so reluctant to discuss the events which transpired prior to the CP?? Who goes to the emergency room for a bruise? How damaging is it to post pictures of this bruised behind online? Does that help Joey out at all? Or do other kids make fun of him because his rear-end is posted all over the internet?

These are the REAL issues that no one has addresed. Phil certainly won't address them. This man will be senselessly vilified. I hear he's a great guy.

Old 05-18-2008, 09:06 AM

41 posts, read 224,073 times
Default If all else fails ...

I was spanked as a child by 5 different people - (1) my Mom, (2) my Dad, (3) my grandfather, (4) my uncle, and (5) a military school Commandant (who was in effect the principal of the school). My Dad used a switch from a tree and it definitely hurt. After I had repeatedly misbehaved over a period of several weeks in school the military school Commandant called my Dad for permission to whip me with a fiberglass fishing rod. I was a 9th grade student at the time. The Commandant had a 12th grader hold my hands over a desk. My pants pockets had to be empty. The Commandant gave my arse 20 lashes with the fiberglass fishing rod. It worked! That was my last spanking - actually it was a whupping! It woke me up and I started behaving myself.

Today, I am grateful that the Commandant and my family taught me right from wrong. I believe I am a well-adjusted adult.

Other means of discipline should be attempted first, but if all else fails then spanking DOES WORK!

Old 07-01-2008, 07:03 PM

64 posts, read 149,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeeMadArthur View Post
Where do they paddle in Ohio? I don't have kids but if I did, any teacher that used a paddle on them would be pulling it out of their a$$ after I found out.
My thought exactly!

Old 07-01-2008, 07:11 PM

2,735 posts, read 6,737,921 times
I believe it is still legal in our school district but don't know if it's really carried out. Thank goodness I don't have children who get into trouble at school. But I will say, there are alot of kids in the schools who are totally disrespectful and disobedient and could stand seeing that paddle once or twice!

Old 07-01-2008, 08:45 PM

64 posts, read 149,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpope409 View Post
Teachers.

It's evident that a good parent would not apply the same force onto a small child that they would to an adult. Most spankings don't involve any type of striking that could cause injury any how.

Several light slaps on the arms or legs are usually used for small children, and belts for older children. As for teenagers, my younger brother is taller than my dad, and when he was a teenager my father would discipline him with full force. I was only disciplined by my mother, as many fathers don't touch their daughters.

There is a thin line between discipline and abuse, but it's not too thin that a responsible adult should not be able to distinguish from which is which. I do think that spankings are important simply because I was raised around children who did not receive spankings and I've seen the paths they've chosen in life.

I'm not saying that all spanked children are good, or that all children who aren't spanked are bad, but let's just say that I'm grateful for my mom using the belt on me. When I got paddled by the principal in Pre-K, we would always pray afterwards, and when my mom would do it, she would always let me know that it was going to hurt here more than it would hurt me. lol. I think it's important to let the child know you love them and that it's for their own good.
I'm sorry but I just have to know what was so bad that you did in Pre-K to deserve a paddling?! That is ridiculous!

Old 07-02-2008, 12:35 AM

8,568 posts, read 16,236,701 times
Originally Posted by questioner2
Quote:
I remember in the good old days of the 1960s if a kid were to goof off in class or do pretty much anything wrong, he would get the paddle. I also remember kids being slammed against the lockers like crazy by some very aggressive teachers.
I guess that nowadays it wouldn't be prudent to paddle kids or slam them into a locker, because they could retaliate with a drive by shooting.

Old 07-02-2008, 01:43 AM
f_m

2,289 posts, read 8,371,543 times
Did kids used to attack teachers in the past? I'm sure there are more similar articles.
cbs11tv.com - Students Attack Teacher Over Confiscated iPod
wjz.com - Teacher In Attack Files Charges Against Student (http://wjz.com/local/Jolita.Berry.teacher.2.707401.html - broken link)
Student charged with attack on Florence teacher (phillyBurbs.com) | Burlington County Times (http://www.phillyburbs.com/pb-dyn/news/112-06122008-1548097.html - broken link)

This makes me think of a movie I saw. It was from Singapore I think. Two students were punished by being caned in front of the whole school.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education