Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should they paddle kids in school?
YES! That will straighten those bad kids out 10 18.18%
NO! Its cruel Punishment 29 52.73%
Only if the parents approve in writing 16 29.09%
Voters: 55. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2008, 12:30 PM

7 posts, read 23,594 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by shera2951 View Post
They should NOT be paddeling in school! As a result of a paddle, my son was left with bruises, welts, and a bursted blood vessel courtesy of one of North Carolina's supposed supreme educators. The local school board will not return my telephone calls; they are making attempts to sweep this under the rug.
I suggest you contact the ACLU about this....beating a child and spanking a child are two different things !!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2008, 12:34 PM

82 posts, read 295,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FarNorthDallas View Post
Paddling is permitted in quite a few states, including Texas.

ETA - "should they" and "do they" are two different questions.

Really?!? wow, I never knew that. I was personally "paddled" (if that's what spanking is called nowadays") growing up so I have mixed feelings about it. Where I grew up, the teachers cannot even hug the students--much less touch them in that way. There was this one boy who had behavioral issues in the daycare who liked to throw things at children and teachers (without warning signs) and even raised a pair of scissors towards someone's back at one point. Do you know what the teachers were recommended to do? They were told they could not restrain the boy, but to simply put a BAG PACK or a pillow in between him and them. I've seen teachers bitten, scratches everywhere and bruises on their legs as they were kicked over and over. They were told not to show emotions towards the child's abuse and I know for a fact some of those teachers were near tears! I was appalled by this. Do teachers not have any right to THEIR safety? After about 2 years of this, they finally had to let him go. It was sad because the teachers felt they had failed the boy but they also had the responsibility to protect the other children.

Old 10-08-2008, 12:35 PM

7 posts, read 23,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2Feebs View Post
Agree wholeheartedly. Not only are they never spanked, they never have the fear that they might be disciplined in ANY way, and like the person's statement I reference in my last post, many kids today know they have power over any figure of authority, including their own parents, who allow it because no one should DARE touch or speak to their fragile child for fear of somehow permanently damaging their self-esteem. What they don't realize is the damage they are doing. It's a sad commentary on the generation of parents out there today.
I could not have said it better myself !!! KUDOS to you for speaking up !!!Parents who won't discipline or allow their child to be disciplined...should understand that their lack of discipline is a form of abuse !!!

Old 10-08-2008, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nopaddle View Post
The schools have no legal right to paddle. only 21 states still paddle. USA is only country to allow it still. go to www.thehittingstopshere.com

if you live in a paddling state help us bring it to a end. Kids being sent to the hospital is wrong. It's not the schools place to discipling and i yet to see kids do anything thats bad enough to get hit with a hunk of wood.

rick
I don't think discipline requires spanking someone "with a hunk of wood". However, children spend most of their socialization, and their lives at school. If the school does not work together with the parents in disciplining them, who will? I cannot tell you how important it is to correct a child and help them understand what is right and wrong ESP. now in a world where morality is even more ambiguous than ever before. Everything is anything these days .... good moral values have been blurred to the point where deception and greed is accepted and promoted in the media and in our daily lives. I've seen 1st grader children with no apparent conscience whatsoever other than what they echo from the adults verbally. They do not understand why they must not physically hurt others and continue to do so without remorse or an ounce of facial emotion. I have seen this up close and personal in a school setting. There are more children that are like this today. I rather they get helped and disciplined now in school rather than in prison later.

Old 10-08-2008, 01:16 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,273,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nopaddle View Post
The schools have no legal right to paddle.

if you live in a paddling state help us bring it to a end.
Sorry, no can do.

I firmly believe that a good swat to the tush is not necessarily a bad thing -

Old 10-08-2008, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2Feebs View Post
Agree wholeheartedly. Not only are they never spanked, they never have the fear that they might be disciplined in ANY way, and like the person's statement I reference in my last post, many kids today know they have power over any figure of authority, including their own parents, who allow it because no one should DARE touch or speak to their fragile child for fear of somehow permanently damaging their self-esteem. What they don't realize is the damage they are doing. It's a sad commentary on the generation of parents out there today.

So very true. I've seen children who swear and yell at their parents in school, in front of the teachers, and the parents just stand there passively. I've seen parents and teachers who ignore so many bad behavior in the yard (pushing, hitting other children) and you know what---some of them feel so powerless. Adults are afraid if they yell or verbally punish a child, they will be judged. Even in dire situations where a child is slowly becoming dangerous to others and him/herself. We've set up all these rules to protect our children but instead we ended up setting them up for failure. Teachers at my highschool could not even give students hugs because of the no touching policy. It's ridiculous. If my children were a danger to others and themselves, I would rather them be yelled at and have their feelings hurt for a little bit than for their lives to be lost later on because we did absolutely nothing to prevent it. Raising children whether you're a teacher or a parent or a guardian is not for the faint of heart. We owe it to the children to teach them what is right and wrong; they are not born with that knowledge.

Old 10-09-2008, 08:30 AM

7 posts, read 19,738 times
Proverbs 13:24 states, “He that spareth his rod hateth his son: but he that loveth him chasteneth him betimes.” In layman‘s terms: those who don’t discipline and guide their children, have no regard for them; those who love their children, punish them. My interpretation? Parents should choose how they guide and discipline their children. This Bible verse does not suggest educators should hit children. Educators can chasten, aka punish, scold, and correct children without hitting them. When God used His “rod” on Adam and Eve for eating the forbidden fruit, He didn’t hit them. He taught them; He punished them by sending them away from the garden.
Educators can teach children without hitting them. How a child is approached and the techniques used when attempting to discipline and teach help to determine what works when working with different types of children. No two children are alike. If they were, this world would be a boring place.

Old 10-10-2008, 09:17 PM

17 posts, read 819,474 times
I think it should be up to the parents. If the parents allow it, then so be it.

I would never allow for a stranger to physically discpline my kid, that is for me to do. If needed be, the school should call me and I will be glad to come down and do it if I determine the circumstances require it.

And that is just it, I do not trust anyone to properly judge what is a paddling offense or not, that will be left up to me.

I say this because I was paddled quite frequently in the 1st and 2nd grade. I went to some Baptist school in Memphis. Only years later after I was all grown up did the realization of it took place. My parents never knew about the paddling because they did not give permission for me to be paddled (school rules required parents permission). I never said because I was afraid of my parents getting mad at me. I now realize it was abuse at the school, plain and simple. The actions I got paddled for were nothing more then things like showing up late to school, refusing to go out in the rain to clean the chalkboard erasers, not taking off my coat in class, ect...

I would never put my kid through that and God lay mercy on the person who does because I sure as hell am not.

Old 10-11-2008, 12:18 PM

2,918 posts, read 3,021,347 times
It was abolished in England many years ago, however I continue to hold the belief that it is necessary for certain individuals; those who deliberately choose to act out of sheer malevolence and take advantage of others in any way. I was smacked at home by both my parents, and generally came to no harm, at least not in the hands of my mother, however there was frequent anger being displayed on me Dad's behalf which I thought was detremental to the notion of teaching discipline, especially by example, which proves to me at least that it is the intention behind the reasons of spanking an ill behaved child that forms part of the rationalisation behind the action, and the manner in which it is delivered.

Old 10-12-2008, 09:59 AM

197 posts, read 735,038 times
When I attended elementary and middle school in the 80's, I was paddled in every grade up to the 8th grade, except for the sixth and seventh grade. Mostly it was because I didn't do my homework. Really, I wasn't that bad (except for slamming a co-student's head into a bathroom stall divider and throwing him into a trashcan after he kept karate-kicking me and being his bad ass little self). These days I get paddled for different reasons.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education