Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should they paddle kids in school?
YES! That will straighten those bad kids out 10 18.18%
NO! Its cruel Punishment 29 52.73%
Only if the parents approve in writing 16 29.09%
Voters: 55. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2008, 12:11 PM

82 posts, read 295,761 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd678 View Post
I think it should be up to the parents. If the parents allow it, then so be it.

I would never allow for a stranger to physically discpline my kid, that is for me to do. If needed be, the school should call me and I will be glad to come down and do it if I determine the circumstances require it.

And that is just it, I do not trust anyone to properly judge what is a paddling offense or not, that will be left up to me.

I say this because I was paddled quite frequently in the 1st and 2nd grade. I went to some Baptist school in Memphis. Only years later after I was all grown up did the realization of it took place. My parents never knew about the paddling because they did not give permission for me to be paddled (school rules required parents permission). I never said because I was afraid of my parents getting mad at me. I now realize it was abuse at the school, plain and simple. The actions I got paddled for were nothing more then things like showing up late to school, refusing to go out in the rain to clean the chalkboard erasers, not taking off my coat in class, ect...

I would never put my kid through that and God lay mercy on the person who does because I sure as hell am not.
Getting paddled for showing up late...wow.
I'm not sure if it's realistic to expect to have time or to be able to get out of work so I can come to my child's school and decide whether or not to paddle my child. You went thru some unreasonable punishments and it really sucks that your parents didn't know what was going on. They should have been informed about that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2009, 12:01 PM

893 posts, read 1,579,459 times
Funny how spanking was effective and used for many many years until the liberal bleeding hearts and red diaper doper babies decided they had the answers to everything. There is a difference between abuse and spanking, it works for some and not for others. Timeout would have never worked with me. Schools hands are tied and the U.S. falls further away from what once a highly respected country concerning education. It use to be that if you were to get into trouble at school, you were in trouble at home. How do parents control there rotten children today???? They enroll them into everything known to man, keeping occupied from sun up to sun down, leaving them no time to be what they are....children. Wake up America!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 03-01-2009, 12:06 PM

893 posts, read 1,579,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WENDISTORM View Post
I could not have said it better myself !!! KUDOS to you for speaking up !!!Parents who won't discipline or allow their child to be disciplined...should understand that their lack of discipline is a form of abuse !!!
Kudos to you as well!!!!!!!!!!

Old 03-01-2009, 12:42 PM

8,231 posts, read 17,312,752 times
I can think of FAR WORSE punishments than spanking. And I use every one.

Old 03-02-2009, 03:45 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,496,781 times
I wouldn't, too many kids with access to guns. I remember a 7th grader beat the crap out of our Art teacher... I.E. HOSPITALIZED ... remember these kids can be repeat and held back and be 15 years old or so in that grade as well...
I also had a 13 year old guy I went to school with that murdered those british tourists back in the early 90s in Florida, his name was Cedric... and he was just in a normal ol pretty decent elementary and middle school, same one I was in.
So, no, wouldn't paddle them, unless you want retaliation.
Maybe some of you older folks think paddling should be brought back, have you been to the current state of public schools anytime in the last 20 years???? Do you know how EASY it is to get a handgun?
You might think otherwise if you have. This isn't even a BAD area I'm talking about, just normal public school in suburbia.
Hey ya know, these might have been cool in the 50s and 60s... but things in america are MUCH different now, much more women in the work force for less parenting at home, more guns, easier access to information, more gangs, eroded public schools, etc. etc.

Old 03-02-2009, 03:55 PM

14,785 posts, read 24,071,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spanko75 View Post
Funny how spanking was effective and used for many many years until the liberal bleeding hearts and red diaper doper babies decided they had the answers to everything. There is a difference between abuse and spanking, it works for some and not for others. Timeout would have never worked with me. Schools hands are tied and the U.S. falls further away from what once a highly respected country concerning education. It use to be that if you were to get into trouble at school, you were in trouble at home. How do parents control there rotten children today???? They enroll them into everything known to man, keeping occupied from sun up to sun down, leaving them no time to be what they are....children. Wake up America!!!!!!!!!!!
I could not agree more . my mother and dad were strict as strict could be and blistered your fanny if you did something you knew was wrong when you did it . Roll your eyes you got it . My kids were raised the same way I was and boy did they ever turn out good . guess what , one of my sons is a police officer and the other one is a paramedic and neither one of them have ever been arrested or brought home by the police or in trouble at school because if they had they knew what was waiting for them and it was not pleasant . !! parents need to wake up and realize you are a parent and not your kids friend .

Old 10-26-2009, 01:48 AM

2,184 posts, read 5,548,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by questioner2 View Post
I remember in the good old days of the 1960s if a kid were to goof off in class or do pretty much anything wrong, he would get the paddle. I also remember kids being slammed against the lockers like crazy by some very aggressive teachers. I suspect this has ended in an era of political correctness and overzealous lawyers. But maybe not, how about in some small towns in the south?

Should they bring back the paddle in school?

NO. But the demerit system could be helpful.

Kate

Old 12-03-2009, 12:32 PM

1 posts, read 2,654 times
Sure, so avoid discipline alltogether because a kid could get a handgun? Thats the freaking problem here folks. Teachers have lost control due to the fears of these children (a small percentage) that are troublemakers(putting it mildly). If a child has no respect for authority we must give them a reason to. And not by abuse, but a firm paddle that comes with a good reason and a kind heart. I never felt angry at my parents or principal for spanking me when I made a mistake. I understood that was the consequence I had to pay for my mistake. I hated the spanking sure, but it was my fault. THese kids now a days have learned to blame everyone but themselves and that there are no consequences for bad behavior. We should spank their damn parents too for such a bad job and raising respectful children...

Old 12-03-2009, 03:00 PM

3,633 posts, read 5,353,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeeMadArthur View Post
Where do they paddle in Ohio? I don't have kids but if I did, any teacher that used a paddle on them would be pulling it out of their a$$ after I found out.
Although it was a few years back, a story from Ohio made the national news- a 6-year-old girl received this kind of treatment for "circling the answer which she should have underlined" on a worksheet... her parents took the school to court and lost

When one of my kids attended school in Louisiana, it was an accepted practice for such "horrible behavior" as addressing a teacher as "Mr. -Name" or "Mrs. -Name" instead of their required "Sir" or "Ma'am."

I have the same viewpoint as you.

Old 12-03-2009, 11:00 PM

2,184 posts, read 5,548,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by questioner2 View Post
I remember in the good old days of the 1960s if a kid were to goof off in class or do pretty much anything wrong, he would get the paddle. I also remember kids being slammed against the lockers like crazy by some very aggressive teachers. I suspect this has ended in an era of political correctness and overzealous lawyers. But maybe not, how about in some small towns in the south?

Should they bring back the paddle in school?
No.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education