Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-08-2018, 10:59 AM

6,985 posts, read 7,059,428 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
I will never agree with you on that. I've lived a number of different places, though here in CO for a long time now, but every place I lived, including my sports-crazed hometown (Joe Namath wasn't the only one to make it to the top in sports) gave some recognition to academic achievement.

We're just going to have to agree to disagree. We've both had different life experiences. That does not make either of our experiences wrong, just different from each other.

Also, keep in mind that the post you were referring to was about one specific teacher. She was a special ed teacher, so it makes sense that her loyalty would be toward the weaker students, not the "gifted" students.

Quote:
Begging the question. No one has shown that to be true.

Not sure what you are referring to.

Quote:
Yes, but I've lived in a lot of different places, and my experience is there is no "hatred" shown to those with academic successes. Someone gets a perfect score (whatever it is now) on the SAT, it makes the news. The Beaver Falls paper published the honor rolls, even back in my day when the SD obviously supported sports generously. All the papers everywhere I've lived have reported stuff like that; the smaller towns even the honor rolls and also the Little League baseball scores.

Again, we've had different life experiences. Neither of us is wrong, so we're just going to have to agree to disagree.

Quote:
Bullying is a different issue than this sports/academic conflict.
The post that was replying to said nothing about bullying. And, it's not a different issue, since gifted students are bullied and gifted athletes usually are not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2018, 11:19 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,886,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitsguy2001 View Post
We're just going to have to agree to disagree. We've both had different life experiences. That does not make either of our experiences wrong, just different from each other.

Also, keep in mind that the post you were referring to was about one specific teacher. She was a special ed teacher, so it makes sense that her loyalty would be toward the weaker students, not the "gifted" students.

Not sure what you are referring to.

Again, we've had different life experiences. Neither of us is wrong, so we're just going to have to agree to disagree.

The post that was replying to said nothing about bullying. And, it's not a different issue, since gifted students are bullied and gifted athletes usually are not.
I'm referring to this line from your post: "since our society hates gifted students, gifted students are labeled as having poor social skills."
Neither you nor anyone else has shown that "our society hates gifted students". You're putting the cart before the horse, so to speak.

Re: the bullying comment, from your post:
"A line that was often told to us gifted students was "You have to learn to get along with people that you don't like", whether referring to a student who was bullying us, . . ."

Old 08-08-2018, 11:28 AM

16 posts, read 35,320 times
Because gifted athletes bring us entertainment, drama, thrill and living-the-dream while students dont.

Old 08-08-2018, 11:30 AM

Quote:
I'm referring to this line from your post: "since our society hates gifted students, gifted students are labeled as having poor social skills."
Neither you nor anyone else has shown that "our society hates gifted students". You're putting the cart before the horse, so to speak.

Again, we're just going to have to agree to disagree.

Quote:
Re: the bullying comment
Quote:
, from your post:
"A line that was often told to us gifted students was "You have to learn to get along with people that you don't like", whether referring to a student who was bullying us, . . ."
That was to show that bullying is not a separate issue.

Old 08-08-2018, 12:16 PM

254 posts, read 281,693 times
Quote:
Oh. Good. GRIEF! First off, that is NOT what the OP said. I will quote: "That's what the OP was about -- how we as a society overly recognize and reward even trivial athletic success (IE, a big picture and article in the paper about signing to play a sport at the local CC) and little to no recognition of academic even significant (such as acceptance to Ivy League school, or Dean's List at college)." Even he did not mention that the Dean's List info isn't on the website. (See below as well.)

Just because I couldn't find the WEEKLY list of Dean's List, college graduations, etc. online doesn't mean it's not on the flippin' website. This paper's website is very un-user friendly. The search feature is worse than CD's! And I will point out, the other THREE articles I posted about acitivities in the schools THIS SUMMER were easily found on the website.
I suspect the definition of what falls under significant and what falls under trivial varies from person to person. Making the Dean's List was more of what I had in mind for significant academic achievement than what was featured in the links that you had an easy time finding. It seems like the OP was thinking along similar lines, (hopefully he will correct me if I'm wrong), since he specifically mentioned Dean's List. I think if as a society we valued it more, finding the info to share with others would have been easily accessible.

The links you did share seemed to be more about what sort of academic enrichment opportunities that are available in your area and features some of the students that are participating in them. The first link even points out that there is no GPA or prereqs requirement in order to participate in that program.

For undergrad, I went to an engineering school that did participate in collegiate sports, but tended to lose. It seems like most years, the school would qualify to participate on a national level in major engineering competition. This summer their concrete canoe team went to nationals, but they have done well in the past at competitions in other areas of engineering. I did find an article about them going, but it was 3 sentences long and had a photo. I could not find an article about how well they did at the event. I went and looked up the scores on ASCE's website and they didn't place in the top 10. Maybe they would have gotten another 3 sentences in the paper if they had. I also learned from looking up the scores, that UT Austin also competed. I live in Austin and was completely unaware of that. It didn't make the news.

Overall, it seems like students competing in sports gets a lot more media attention than the students competing in engineering.

Last edited by wildflower_FL; 08-08-2018 at 12:46 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 08-08-2018, 12:56 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,886,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitsguy2001 View Post
Again, we're just going to have to agree to disagree.

[b][color=royalblue]

That was to show that bullying is not a separate issue.
Not every bully is an athlete, though some are. Not everyone bullied is a "gifted" student, though some are. Some gifted students bully, too.

Old 08-08-2018, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Not every bully is an athlete, though some are.

I never said that they are. In fact, I don't think any of the people who bullied me were athletes.

Quote:
Not everyone bullied is a "gifted" student, though some are.

I never said that they are.

Quote:
Some gifted students bully, too.
That is true, and, in a way, they can be the worst bullies of all.

Old 08-08-2018, 02:31 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,687,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildflower_FL View Post
I suspect the definition of what falls under significant and what falls under trivial varies from person to person. Making the Dean's List was more of what I had in mind for significant academic achievement than what was featured in the links that you had an easy time finding. It seems like the OP was thinking along similar lines, (hopefully he will correct me if I'm wrong), since he specifically mentioned Dean's List. I think if as a society we valued it more, finding the info to share with others would have been easily accessible.

The links you did share seemed to be more about what sort of academic enrichment opportunities that are available in your area and features some of the students that are participating in them. The first link even points out that there is no GPA or prereqs requirement in order to participate in that program.

For undergrad, I went to an engineering school that did participate in collegiate sports, but tended to lose. It seems like most years, the school would qualify to participate on a national level in major engineering competition. This summer their concrete canoe team went to nationals, but they have done well in the past at competitions in other areas of engineering. I did find an article about them going, but it was 3 sentences long and had a photo. I could not find an article about how well they did at the event. I went and looked up the scores on ASCE's website and they didn't place in the top 10. Maybe they would have gotten another 3 sentences in the paper if they had. I also learned from looking up the scores, that UT Austin also competed. I live in Austin and was completely unaware of that. It didn't make the news.

Overall, it seems like students competing in sports gets a lot more media attention than the students competing in engineering.
Are you seriously going to compare the media attention given to college football and basketball to the media attention given to concrete canoe competition? I'll bet the major TV networks were fighting over the broadcast rights.

For those of you interested, the 2019 National Concrete Canoe Competition will be held Jun 7-9, 2019 in Melbourne, FL. Make sure you fill out your bracket.

See https://www.asce.org/event/2019/concrete-canoe/

Old 08-08-2018, 02:50 PM

129 posts, read 102,051 times
I grew up trying to hide that my IQ puts me in the Genius range. I lived in a poor area an smart kids got beat up. To compensate I learned to fight and was a junior member of a gang. I left that life at 13 with 28 stitches just in my head from fights. At 13 I was tested and given a scholarship to a school with a program for gifted students. I was a starter on the Football team and made the All Star team for our city. I also started the Chess club and TV station as well as writing for all school publications. I was a very busy kid.

I have enjoyed an upper income living due to my IQ despite not finishing college due to my wife's illness. My life has been great reaching the top of my professional worldwide. Served as an Alternate UN Advisor. I live most of my 46 years of marriage sharing a girlfriend with my wife. I had money and two women who loved me at home. No health issues even at my current age of 67.

However, it was not my IQ who made my life so good. I was born with my IQ the same as someone is born with the genetic code to grow very tall and strong. My IQ was not earned so it is nothing to brag about, but like the tall guy who goes on to use his gifts to play basketball for a pro team, I used my gifts to succeed in my profession. Neither of us would be were we are had were not used our gifts. It is what we did with our gifts that deserve to be respected and not the gift itself. If I go around and tell people I meet in real life what I make, that is bragging. Telling them that I have a high IQ is not since it is no different than telling someone you are tall.

There are books written showing how Humans are afraid of intelligent people and why. The repression and hatred for the Jews is a good example since as a race they have the highest average IQs. I recently read a book which could have been written about me. The things I did to hide my intelligence and being ashamed of it. Now I do to care anymore. My IQ is nothing to be ashamed of and if others think it is bragging do not understand what is worth of being bragged about or not. People still are prejudiced against intelligent people. Perhaps what my wife told me is part of the reason.

I do not tell people my IQ but it is self evident after talking to me. My wife said that our friends are afraid of sitting with us at social events because they are afraid that they would appear stupid to me. I can be as stupid as anyone else and never call anyone stupid. It is their assumption that is wrong, not my IQ. It is like someone not sitting next to a tall guy so that they do not look short.

There is also another side of the coin to having a high IQ. The world is designed and run by people of average IQ; normal people. Therefore it is us that have a hard time fitting in. We tend to be introverts, lazy, unorganized, insomniacs and have other mental problems which I do have. I am sure that not many of you drive along and think about the software controlling the traffic lights and why the road curves when it does or all sort of other things. My mind is filled with thoughts which I why I have difficulty in sleeping or appear lazy. I cannot get myself to do many things because they are boring to me. I used to work 6 day weeks and 10 hour days. I relocated 13 times and live in my 9th house. I had to be the best in what I did and that takes a lot of work and not just brains.

My wife does not have my problems and fits into our world very nicely. She could less that she does not know how electricity is created or how a computer does what it does. I do.

Old 08-08-2018, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnyfl View Post
There is also another side of the coin to having a high IQ. The world is designed and run by people of average IQ; normal people. Therefore it is us that have a hard time fitting in. We tend to be introverts, lazy, unorganized, insomniacs and have other mental problems which I do have. I am sure that not many of you drive along and think about the software controlling the traffic lights and why the road curves when it does or all sort of other things. My mind is filled with thoughts which I why I have difficulty in sleeping or appear lazy. I cannot get myself to do many things because they are boring to me. I used to work 6 day weeks and 10 hour days. I relocated 13 times and live in my 9th house. I had to be the best in what I did and that takes a lot of work and not just brains.

That is a very good way of putting it. Thank you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education