Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-24-2018, 06:21 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,673,235 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
Your small sample size of western PA doesn’t undermine or disprove jtab4994’s comments.

Plenty of schools around the nation private, public, K-12, small colleges, etc. have dropped football due to expenses. If you can’t turn a profit, it’s a money pit and they may get rid of it
How many of the schools that you mention have ever turned a profit. Most D-I colleges have never made a profit. There might be a handful of high schools in Texas who have made a profit. The majority of high schools don't make enough money to pay the head coach's salary, let alone equipment, transportation, field maintenance, assistant coaches salaries, referees and other game personnel, etc.

I've also seen colleges add football teams. Two examples from Western PA are Seton Hill, which plays D-II, and St. Vincent College, which plays D-III. Again, I can't think of any colleges that have dropped football in Western PA.

Regarding soccer, every school does not have soccer. IUP, which has an enrollment over 12,000, dropped its men's soccer team in the 1980s due to Title IX.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2018, 06:33 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,929,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
Your small sample size of western PA doesn’t undermine or disprove jtab4994’s comments.

Plenty of schools around the nation private, public, K-12, small colleges, etc. have dropped football due to expenses. If you can’t turn a profit, it’s a money pit and they may get rid of it

Your personal anecdote doesn’t undermine the fact football is an expensive extracurricular activity and prone to being cut. Now soccer or basketball? Hell, every school has that
I don't think schools are dropping football because of the expense. Fewer kids are interested now and more parents don't want the kids to play due to the risk of concussions.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/...otball-players

Quote:
The number of high school football players dropped by 25,901 participants in 2016-17, according to a report by National Federation of State High School Associations.

Football still had the highest number of overall participants, however, with 1,086,748 in total last season. An additional 61 schools added football to their athletic offerings in 2016-17 as well.

"While we are concerned when any sport experiences a decline in participation, the numbers do not substantiate that schools are dropping the sport of football," NFHS executive director Bob Gardner said. "The NFHS and its member state high school associations have worked hard to reduce the risk of injury in high school football, and we are pleased at the continued strength of the sport across the country."

Nonetheless, the findings appear to be a part of a growing trend.

Old 07-24-2018, 06:45 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,810,305 times
Colorado has 31 schools with enrollment up to 78 students playing 6 man football. Some of these are tiny schools in rural/mountain towns. The smallest is Kit Carson HS, on the eastern plains, with an enrollment of 33. We have 42 schools playing 8 man, with enrollments from 79 to 150. Some of these schools are Christian/charter.
http://www2.chsaa.org/sports/footbal...l_Bulletin.pdf

Old 07-24-2018, 07:19 PM

3,493 posts, read 3,206,432 times
I got labeled "gifted" (or whatever they called it) starting in the 1A. I got double promoted twice (my mother refused the third time). I was perennially poplar and some kids came to me for help with stuff. I do recall, that I liked to work (voluntarily) with the slow kids, usually we would be put out in the hall. They seemed much more relaxed in that setting, more focused, and eager to get a grip on what they were missing.

The only time I got razzed was on the basketball court in gym class. I never did get that game. Hated it.

Old 07-25-2018, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
Around here football and to some extent basketball are net positives in the dollar department. Baseball to some extent. All others, soccer, swim, track, rely on parent fees and fund raisers to put on a team with mostly volunteer coaches. Band and theater bring accolades but no money.
I tried to find out what the athletic fees are for Oak Ridge HS and apparently wasn't putting in the right words. I did find that a season sports pass for all competitions except playoffs and post season tournament is $55, so my educated guess is not a lot of money is being made off ticket sales for any sport.
https://oakridgeathletics.com/student-athletic-pass/

Old 07-25-2018, 10:45 AM

8,080 posts, read 7,451,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by villageidiot1 View Post
Lot of schools? I can only speak about Western Pennsylvania, but I'm not aware of a single school that has dropped football because it is too expensive. The schools that have dropped football did it because they didn't have enough players to take the field. In at least one case, they had a girl volunteer to play so they would have enough players. With injuries during a season, you need to start with at least 18-19 players at the beginning of the season. One school in the area was on a week to week basis whether they would have to forfeit or not. A couple schools have cancelled seasons but started up again after a year or two.

The cost of high school football — dollars must be stretched to train, equip, feed teams - News - Gadsden Times - Gadsden, AL

Don't ask me to define "lots of schools". My comments weren't mean to be a research paper.

There are also "lots of schools" that are cancelling football due to lack of players.

Maybe with the economy improving some schools are able to find money in the budget to keep football going. Maybe with more Mexican kids moving to certain towns there are more players available. Maybe with more Asian kids moving to certain towns there are fewer kids who have an interest in American football. Every situation is an anecdote, but it all adds up.

But as far as I know, no school has cancelled a spelling bee because it's too expensive.

Old 07-25-2018, 12:04 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,673,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtab4994 View Post
The cost of high school football — dollars must be stretched to train, equip, feed teams - News - Gadsden Times - Gadsden, AL

Don't ask me to define "lots of schools". My comments weren't mean to be a research paper.

There are also "lots of schools" that are cancelling football due to lack of players.

Maybe with the economy improving some schools are able to find money in the budget to keep football going. Maybe with more Mexican kids moving to certain towns there are more players available. Maybe with more Asian kids moving to certain towns there are fewer kids who have an interest in American football. Every situation is an anecdote, but it all adds up.

But as far as I know, no school has cancelled a spelling bee because it's too expensive.
I don't think I asked you to define "lots of schools."

You stated:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtab4994 View Post
Actually, lots of schools are dropping football because it's too expensive.
I see you live in Pennsylvania. Can you name a PA school that has dropped football because it's too expensive?

Yes, there are also "lots of schools" that are cancelling football due to lack of players. Right now there are 569 schools scheduled to play football this fall. That is the same number as in the past two years. Fairfield High School in Adams County may not play a varsity schedule due to a lack of players.

There are a number of reasons why there are a lack of players at some schools. When I was in HS back in the 1970s, we did not have soccer, lacrosse, and hockey teams. There were no travel or club teams, so athletes did not play a sport year round. The concussion issue is also taking players away from the game. In much of PA, the school enrollment is also down. My HS graduated about 600 students a year in the mid-1970s. They graduated 337 last year.

As someone else pointed out, the number of HS students playing football is down about 5% from its peak in 2008. Yes, overall participation in high school sports has surged from less than 4 million student athletes in 2001 to almost 4.6 million last year, researchers report in JAMA Pediatrics. So while finances may become an issue in the future, it has not yet caused schools to drop football.

BTW, do high schools in your area compete in spelling bees? They must since you keep bringing them up in this thread.

Old 07-25-2018, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
I tried to find out what the athletic fees are for Oak Ridge HS and apparently wasn't putting in the right words. I did find that a season sports pass for all competitions except playoffs and post season tournament is $55, so my educated guess is not a lot of money is being made off ticket sales for any sport.
https://oakridgeathletics.com/student-athletic-pass/
Correction: Student athletic pass for the entire year.

Old 07-25-2018, 02:02 PM

1,594 posts, read 1,412,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyewackette View Post
I wouldn't read Catcher in the Rye either.

I don't understand why you wouldn't "recommend" Harry Potter books.

I read both Black Beauty AND White Fang as a child.
I have read 2 Harry Potter books and watched 6 movies. The movies seemed to be good interpretations of the books though a lot of details get thrown out. The HP books are just entertainment in my opinion I do not see what is to be learned from them that is not done better in other equally entertaining books.

The British Empire was a significant historical phenomenon and hundreds of things about the world today are derived from it, regardless of anyone's attitude about that empire. Black Beauty is culturally about the rising British Empire, that is why I consider it better than White Fang though in other ways they are equally good.

With the hundreds of thousands of books that exist I do not see why 10,000 books could not be selected for K-12 rather than have kids stumbling around or brainwashed by marketing.

Old 07-25-2018, 02:07 PM

3,146 posts, read 4,108,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
I never saw athletes get mistreated, picked on, left out or excluded from anything. Many of them were almost hero-worshipped by the student body, parents and coaches.
Sickening, isn't it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education