Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2009, 08:43 AM

194 posts, read 440,445 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred1209 View Post
But he was debating the issue, the one making the attacks is you! ie "I object to your grammar"
You conveniently left out the part of the quote wherein I commended USMC for learning English. You are a master of misdirection and logical fallacies.

Last edited by JazzOne; 05-28-2009 at 09:01 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2009, 09:11 AM

71 posts, read 201,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistabinks View Post
LOL, where have you been? This forum is founded on "I heard" "My Aunt told me" "Someone said."

this is hilarious but sooooo true.....

Old 05-28-2009, 09:12 AM

272 posts, read 1,063,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzOne View Post
+1

It's just not PC to acknowledge that. It's uncomfortable for people to accept that each person is responsible for his own knowledge or lack thereof. The opportunity is there for everyone in America to learn English. Some just choose not to do it.
I too believe in personal responsibility and agree that we have too many "victims" in our society, but I disagree with your statement that many young Mexican kids are too lazy to learn the language. I know a plethora of examples of these young immigrant kids learning the language, going to college and starting businesses, and that's just in my extended family.
These immigrant kids are no different than any group that has come before them or will come after them. Also if you went to the midwest or south and asked if high school kids were patriotic you would find that they are too busy with their lives listening to their ipods to think about patriotism.

Old 05-28-2009, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzOne View Post
Absolutely, and I was very interested to hear his examples of patriotism in El Paso. Instead, he posted sarcastic questions and false accusations in response to my comments. Whether or not he knows about patriotism, he apparently lacks knowledge of logical reasoning.
Like a famous greek philosopher once said, "How can you reason with unreasonable people". You wanted a logical reasoning response, yet your whole assertion of "many mexican kids being too lazy" is full of holes to be taken seriously hence that response. If you want a real analitical debate you better bring facts with links, not just random accusations of a large segment of a population.

Old 05-28-2009, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistabinks View Post
lol, where have you been? This forum is founded on "i heard" "my aunt told me" "someone said."

:d
+1

Old 05-28-2009, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by usmc el paso View Post
Like a famous greek philosopher once said, "How can you reason with unreasonable people".
Which Greek philospher? (Notice the capitalization?) You don't even know his name? I seriously doubt you have read any of them to a significant extent. You are the one who apparently does not know the meanings of the words you use (ie, generalize). Reasonable people do not quote writings that they haven't even read. "How can you reason with unreasonable people" is a question. I guess you were absent the day they taught punctuation.

Quote:
You wanted a logical reasoning response, yet your whole assertion of "many mexican kids being too lazy" is full of holes to be taken seriously hence that response. If you want a real analitical debate you better bring facts with links, not just random accusations of a large segment of a population.
You may not take my assertion seriously, but that is due to your own naivete, not the falsehood of the statement itself. I'd certainly like to have an analytical debate, but I am starting to doubt your English skills. Can you make a single post without multiple spelling and grammar errors? It is often difficult to discern your meaning because the syntax is so flawed.

You want links? This is going to be too easy.

http://www.ppic.org/content/pubs/jtf...iciencyJTF.pdf

Quote:
54% [of California immigrants] report speaking Spanish at home, 21% of whom report speaking English "not at all."
21% don't speak a lick of English. Perhaps they should learn the language before they immigrate? Nah, that would take too much effort.

Quote:
In California, 32% of immigrants live in households where no one older than age 13 speaks English "very well."
Quote:
More than one-quarter of immigrant children ages 5 to 18 do not speak English at all.
Quote:
17% of Spanish-speaking immigrants who had arrived at least a decade earlier reported that they still did not speak English.
Seriously? They couldn't learn English in a decade? If that's not laziness, I really don't know what is, and we're talking about nearly 1/5 of the Spanish-speaking immigrants. Do you think 1/5 of Spanish-speaking immigrants constitute "many" or a "large segment of a population"? I do.

Quote:
A majority of Americans do not think that proficiency in English among immigrants is accomplished quickly enough - 58% say recent immigrants do not learn English within a "reasonable" time frame.
Oh wait, I'm not the only one who believes this? A majority of Americans agree with me? Maybe my position isn't so unreasonable after all. Maybe certain people are just sensitive because they overcame the language barrier and don't think my comments apply to them. Well, they don't. My comments only apply to the many lazy people in our country.

http://pewhispanic.org/files/factsheets/20.pdf
41% of Latinos do NOT believe that "immigrants have to speak English to be a part of American society." Perhaps that's not an example of laziness, but "apathy" sure fits.

To be fair, I am certain there are many immigrants who are motivated and do learn English. However, that is not inconsistent with the idea that there are many who are not motivated and do not care to learn English.

Last edited by JazzOne; 05-28-2009 at 11:44 AM..

Old 05-28-2009, 11:53 AM

Quote:
I too believe in personal responsibility and agree that we have too many "victims" in our society, but I disagree with your statement that many young Mexican kids are too lazy to learn the language. I know a plethora of examples of these young immigrant kids learning the language, going to college and starting businesses, and that's just in my extended family.
These immigrant kids are no different than any group that has come before them or will come after them. Also if you went to the midwest or south and asked if high school kids were patriotic you would find that they are too busy with their lives listening to their ipods to think about patriotism.
This is the first rational post you've made. However, your anecdotal examples are insufficient to counter my argument. I contend that many immigrants are too lazy to learn English. I never claimed they all were. Why do you have such a hard time understanding that distinction? I agree with you 100% about high school kids in general, but the thread is specifically about El Paso. I believe that English illiteracy is the biggest problem in this city, and as I previously stated, it is hard to be patriotic when you cannot read our founding documents or understand our laws. I only brought up students because that is the group of immigrants I am most familiar with, and the amount of laziness I see among them (including the immigrants) is quite sad.

Last edited by JazzOne; 05-28-2009 at 01:04 PM..

Old 05-28-2009, 12:05 PM

3,857 posts, read 6,958,589 times
From your link:"More than one‐quarter of immigrant children ages 5 to 18 do not speak English at all. Second‐generation children (those with at least one parent born in the U.S.) speak English at higher levels of fluency – only 4% do not speak English or do not speak it well. By the third generation (both parents born in the U.S.), all young people report that they speak English at least “very well,” and the vast majority (96%) report that they speak only English."

This rate of assimilation is typical in most immigrant receiving countries. I don't take it as being a sign of being unpatriotic.

Old 05-28-2009, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Siete View Post
From your link:"More than one‐quarter of immigrant children ages 5 to 18 do not speak English at all. Second‐generation children (those with at least one parent born in the U.S.) speak English at higher levels of fluency – only 4% do not speak English or do not speak it well. By the third generation (both parents born in the U.S.), all young people report that they speak English at least “very well,” and the vast majority (96%) report that they speak only English."

This rate of assimilation is typical in most immigrant receiving countries. I don't take it as being a sign of being unpatriotic.
I think it is unpatriotic for people to live here at all without the ability to decipher our laws. Keep in mind, I don't think everyone has a civic duty to be patriotic. I just don't see how anyone can claim to understand what America is all about without reading our founding documents as they were originally written. Anyway, the most damning quote from that link is the one about immigrants who have been here for more than a decade. What excuse is there not to know English after a decade in America? Lack of patriotism.

My paternal grandfather immigrated from Poland. He recounted stories of his parents disallowing their native language in the home because it failed to show pride in America. That's patriotism.

Last edited by JazzOne; 05-28-2009 at 12:42 PM..

Old 05-28-2009, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Siete View Post

Checkmate!! The stats provided clearly show a similar pattern of assimilation for hispanic immigrants just like any other group. This of course proves your fallacy for what it is, a belief about a group of people based on nothing but bias. Thanks for proving yourself wrong with your own stats.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso
View detailed profiles of: