Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2010, 08:55 PM

3,857 posts, read 6,955,492 times

Advertisements

15 gun men shut down a street in south Juarez and massacred 14 (ages 13 to 42) at a house party. Juarez TV says that they were hunting a young witness to another killing. People in Juarez have stopped going to bars and have been holding house parties instead - believing that they are safer. Juarez's mayor (who lives in El Paso) has offered a $1 million peso (US$100,000) reward. I am so relieved that my nieces and nephews have grown up and left Juarez but I worry about older relatives who are still there. We only go over when absolutely necessary and no longer take the kids.

I was surprised that I heard about this first in international media and not local news outlets.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2010, 09:37 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,677,756 times
Pretty sad if these were innocent people.

Old 01-31-2010, 10:20 PM

5,976 posts, read 15,265,276 times
Default Sounds like it...

But at the same time, it is a lttle odd that if they were looking for a sole witness that they would spray the house with bullets. I think they are sending yet another message... 'don't associate with anyone that is against us'.

I can't believe it, it is like living in North Korea, the old Soviet Union, or Gustapo Germany when people turned in other people, or just did not socialize for fear of drawing suspicion. I know it's not like that yet, but if things like this continue, if the Mayor of Juarez stays in El Paso permanently, that is where Juarez is headed. Too bad.

Here is an article from the paper here in Houston.

Last edited by HookTheBrotherUp; 01-31-2010 at 10:43 PM..

Old 01-31-2010, 10:48 PM

3,857 posts, read 6,955,492 times
Local Juarez paper Diario.com.mx: Edición Cd. Juárez has articles that can be run through translate.google.com

Old 01-31-2010, 10:52 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,677,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HookTheBrotherUp View Post
But at the same time, it is a lttle odd that if they were looking for a sole witness that they would spray the house with bullets. I think they are sending yet another message... 'don't associate with anyone that is against us'.

I can't believe it, it is like living in North Korea, the old Soviet Union, or Gustapo Germany when people turned in other people, or just did not socialize for fear of drawing suspicion. I know it's not like that yet, but if things like this continue, if the Mayor of Juarez stays in El Paso permanently, that is where Juarez is headed. Too bad.

Here is an article from the paper here in Houston.
Here's a video of the scene (graphic but no bodies) and it's hard to imagine this took place so close to El Paso. I would wonder a little why there was no furniture in the home unless they took the furniture out after this terrible massacre. Regardless of why - it's simply unbelievable what's going on over there.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pP0Ey...ayer_embedded#

Old 02-01-2010, 04:06 AM

158 posts, read 471,554 times
Thank you for the video malamute. Blood is literally running in the streets of Juarez it breaks my heart for all of the good people there and their loved ones and family here in EP.

I wish that something could be done to make this drug war stop. It makes me so sad.

Old 02-01-2010, 10:28 AM

507 posts, read 2,061,242 times
The way it was carried out, and the apparent motive, were something out of a movie, just surreal. Looks like there is no practical solution in sight. Certainly the flow of arms southward and America's insatiable appetite for drugs do not help. I lack the brain power to come up with any ideas. I'm thinking it will just have to run its course and only time will tell where the violence in Juarez will go.

Old 02-01-2010, 12:04 PM

1,728 posts, read 3,441,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by br7or13 View Post
The way it was carried out, and the apparent motive, were something out of a movie, just surreal. Looks like there is no practical solution in sight. Certainly the flow of arms southward and America's insatiable appetite for drugs do not help. I lack the brain power to come up with any ideas. I'm thinking it will just have to run its course and only time will tell where the violence in Juarez will go.
Nothing short of suspension of civil rights and apply full martial law chinese style.

Old 02-01-2010, 01:03 PM

2,185 posts, read 5,012,142 times
My husband saw this today and said no to moving to El Paso.

Old 02-01-2010, 01:16 PM

187 posts, read 481,452 times
What it comes down too is that theres a possibility that not all of them had an association with drugs but I'm pretty sure they had friends or a few had ties and thats why they went in there. Sad but true.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso