Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2011, 07:09 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,772,037 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kangrui View Post
I hope he can win the nomination. He is much smarter than most of the popular tea-party candidates. Reading his book makes you feel like your hearing from a very intelligent person, the opposite reaction I got from reading Sarah Palin's book. I'll be really disappointed if people actually don't vote for him because he's a Mormon. Surely we can look past religion by now!
It would be nice if we were past the religious thing and we are to some degre, but there will be many (I know a few) that are loyal Republicans but still will not vote for a Mormon. As for Romney and his book, what makes you think he was really the writer of the book? Very rarely does anyone really write their own books. wehotex has him pegged prefactly.

Nita
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2011, 07:50 PM

11,486 posts, read 15,312,478 times
We did not know what Obamas true faith was and no one cared.

We knew Obama had some baggage and yet no one cared.

We knew Obama flip flopped on every occasion depending on what he needed and who he was standing beside of and no one cared.

Romney is a financial genius.

Give him the 800 billion we have Obama and we would be in a great position right now.

I do not agree with everything he has done but he sure is a viable candidate with tons of accomplishments to run on.

And he has a great personality. Whoever said he did not does not know the man very well. He is a very likable person.

I see him as a huge VP candidate myself.

For every attack Romney has an accomplishment to cover for it.

Old 01-14-2011, 03:33 PM

9,727 posts, read 9,732,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Very interesting: I think Romney has more than one thing going against him. Being moderate is just the start, he has the health care issue, has to deal with being a Mormon, doesn't have the most likable personality and the Republicans will think twice before making the same mistake again (I hope) This is just my view, 9 months down the road i might feel very differently.

Nita

Obama is was able to be elected as a muslim. What's the problem. We are not at war with mormons. If anything, they might help you paint your house.

Kurt Warner and Harry Reid are mormons. It never prevented them from anything.

Old 01-14-2011, 03:44 PM

16,880 posts, read 15,203,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyageur View Post
Mitt Romney, runner-up (more or less; Mike Huckabee also has a claim to that position) to John McCain in the 2008 Republican primaries, has resigned from the board of directors of the Marriott hotel chain. This appears to be part of the process of 'clearing his plate' before another Presidential bid. It is worth noting that he previously served on the board before resigning to run for Governor of Massachusetts.
Romney resigns from Marriott board – CNN Political Ticker - CNN.com Blogs

Some will claim that Mitt "I like mandates!" Romney can't win the GOP nomination due to the health care reform in Massachusetts that he championed and enacted as Governor. But then, four years ago many claimed that McCain couldn't win the 2008 GOP nomination because he had called the religious right "agents of intolerance", he had opposed the Bush tax cuts, he had waffled on Roe v. Wade, and so forth. Yet McCain did win the nomination without too much difficulty after disavowing those positions.

We will see how Romney fares.

I will not vote for the liberal mitt romney.

Old 01-14-2011, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinm View Post
Obama is was able to be elected as a muslim. What's the problem. We are not at war with mormons. If anything, they might help you paint your house.

Kurt Warner and Harry Reid are mormons. It never prevented them from anything.
yes, so it Orin Hatch, but you are talking about their getting elected in states with a high % of Mormons. NV has a very high Mormon population as does most of the western part of the USA, but the deep south is a different story and they basically do not like Mormons, many think it is a cult.

As for Obama, You might think he is a Muslim, so does my husband, but he isn't admitting to this and many still do not beleive it. Plus at the time he was running this was barely an issue. Some talked about it, but not as much as they are now. At the time people were more interested in his connect to Rev Wright for instance. His being a member of a Christian church for 20 years hardly sounded like a Muslim to most.

Nita

Old 01-14-2011, 08:40 PM

3,875 posts, read 3,872,295 times
Quote:
It would be nice if we were past the religious thing and we are to some degre, but there will be many (I know a few) that are loyal Republicans but still will not vote for a Mormon. As for Romney and his book, what makes you think he was really the writer of the book? Very rarely does anyone really write their own books. wehotex has him pegged prefactly.

Nita
It would be nice IF a candidate would admit if he gets his marching orders from his religion. In other words if he can be swayed or compelled to govern by his elders,pastor,rabbi or doctrine.

In Romney's case Mormonism is clear cut on a lot of issues. I believe his religion would be a huge influence on him and the voters. On the Liberal side I believe religion heavily influences Lieberman's stance on the Middle East and the 2 wars we're still in.

Even Huckabee is more likable and down to Earth than Romney and Huckabee is a Minister.

Old 01-15-2011, 12:51 AM

19,893 posts, read 18,450,261 times
Quote:
Very interesting: I think Romney has more than one thing going against him. Being moderate is just the start, he has the health care issue, has to deal with being a Mormon, doesn't have the most likable personality and the Republicans will think twice before making the same mistake again (I hope) This is just my view, 9 months down the road i might feel very differently.

Nita

But i think that your right. Romney does have the health care issue to deal with, and being a Mormon, does not help him either. I like his personality, and only time will tell.

Old 01-15-2011, 01:45 AM

22,191 posts, read 19,470,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by california-jewel View Post
But i think that your right. Romney does have the health care issue to deal with, and being a Mormon, does not help him either. I like his personality, and only time will tell.
The Mitt Romney that ran for Senate and Gov, up until about two years into his term, I think would have been the strongest General Election candidate (but would have been a poor Primary candidate, which is likely a key reason he flip flopped in the first place).

I still however think he is probably the strongest potential General election candidate. Many of the others aren't exactly well liked outside the base.

Old 01-15-2011, 05:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by antarez View Post
It would be nice IF a candidate would admit if he gets his marching orders from his religion. In other words if he can be swayed or compelled to govern by his elders,pastor,rabbi or doctrine.

In Romney's case Mormonism is clear cut on a lot of issues. I believe his religion would be a huge influence on him and the voters. On the Liberal side I believe religion heavily influences Lieberman's stance on the Middle East and the 2 wars we're still in.

Even Huckabee is more likable and down to Earth than Romney and Huckabee is a Minister.
Well he is an X minister, but you are right., though I don't think Huck will run and if he does he probably will not get the nomination. Many think he is not conservative enough in some ways and too conservative socially, I do think he has a very winning personality. That is what has gotten him as far as he has come.

Nita

Old 01-15-2011, 05:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post
The Mitt Romney that ran for Senate and Gov, up until about two years into his term, I think would have been the strongest General Election candidate (but would have been a poor Primary candidate, which is likely a key reason he flip flopped in the first place).

I still however think he is probably the strongest potential General election candidate. Many of the others aren't exactly well liked outside the base.
Who are you referring to that is not well liked outside the base? I am not talking Palin because she will never even get the nod if she runs. Are you talking Huckabee or can you think of others mentioned that are not well liked?

Nita
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections