Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2011, 04:50 PM

17,764 posts, read 39,738,186 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theliberalvoice View Post
I really do not see why him being a Mormon should play a role in deciding whether to vote for him or not.

It is still like a branch of Christianity and not to mention that I think he is one of the more reasonable Republicans we may have.
Don't care if he's a latter day saint either. But that's the bugaboo that will keep him from being embraced by mainstream evangelicals. Magic underwear, magic hats, the fact that his grandparents had to flee to Mexico because they were bigamists.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2011, 06:24 PM

28,099 posts, read 29,976,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antarez View Post
It would be nice IF a candidate would admit if he gets his marching orders from his religion. In other words if he can be swayed or compelled to govern by his elders,pastor,rabbi or doctrine.

In Romney's case Mormonism is clear cut on a lot of issues. I believe his religion would be a huge influence on him and the voters.
Would you mind being more specific? I'm curious as to which issues you're thinking of.

Quote:
Even Huckabee is more likable and down to Earth than Romney and Huckabee is a Minister.
Huckabee likeable? I guess if you're a right-wing, fundamentalist Christian, maybe.

Old 01-15-2011, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Joshua View Post
I am a conservative from Mass and I have no problem voting for Mitt Romney. He is a highly successful executive and virtually every business venture he touches becomes highly successful as well.
As far as any issues relating to the economy are concerned, you could not conceivably find a more qualified candicate.

Quote:
As far as his liberalism goes, anyone knows that to hold high office in Mass a conservative has to at least try to move to the center.
You're right again. It amazed me that Romney could have ever won in such a heavily democratic state as Massachusetts.

Old 01-15-2011, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by domergurl View Post
Magic underwear, magic hats...
You have got to be kidding. Is this this flat-out bigotry on your part or a genuine lack of knowledge?

Old 01-15-2011, 06:38 PM

2,031 posts, read 2,989,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
As far as any issues relating to the economy are concerned, you could not conceivably find a more qualified candicate.

You're right again. It amazed me that Romney could have ever won in such a heavily democratic state as Massachusetts.
Actually, the three Governors of Massachusetts immediately preceding Mitt Romney were all Republicans.

And you've got to remember, when Mitt Romney ran for Governor he was adamantly pro-choice, going so far as to tell an anguished tale of a relative who died from a 'back alley' abortion, culminating the story with the vow that "you will not see me wavering on that". And when he ran against Ted Kennedy in 1994, Romney vowed that he, not Kennedy, would more pro-gay rights.

Of course, he... um... 'modified' his views after he was in office.

Old 01-15-2011, 07:20 PM

2,325 posts, read 5,511,088 times
The Republicans need their "Obama", not the same old tired candidates. I'd like to see Rand Paul run but I'm afraid, like his father, he's too Libertarian for the GOP. Do you really expect anyone to get enthused about Mike Huckabee??

Old 01-15-2011, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyageur View Post
Actually, the three Governors of Massachusetts immediately preceding Mitt Romney were all Republicans.
Goes to show what I know, huh?

Old 01-15-2011, 08:01 PM

5,984 posts, read 13,418,437 times
Although I will likely vote Democrat in 2012, I think a Romney/Crist Republican ticket in 2012 would be the way to go. They're both moderates who would do what's best for America. I'm tired of the extreme right trying to take over the Republican Party.

Old 01-15-2011, 08:06 PM

5,984 posts, read 13,418,437 times
Huckabee is George W. Bush II, only more right wing. No, no, no.

Old 01-15-2011, 08:10 PM

2,031 posts, read 2,989,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kazoopilot View Post
Although I will likely vote Democrat in 2012, I think a Romney/Crist Republican ticket in 2012 would be the way to go. They're both moderates who would do what's best for America. I'm tired of the extreme right trying to take over the Republican Party.
Well, given that Crist ran as an independent candidate against the Republican nominee for the Senate seat in Florida in 2010, his odds of being on the GOP ticket in 2012 are somewhere between nil and zero.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections