Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2011, 01:56 PM

17,764 posts, read 39,741,511 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
Just curious, does your bigotry extend to all religions, or just to Mormonism? Would you ridicule Judaism, for instance, in the same way as you ridicule Mormonism? And if you did, do you think everybody'd laugh?
bogotry? really? what am I saying that's not true? seer stones in magic hats ... undergarments? fleeing to mexico because of polygymy ...

what ???? what?????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2011, 01:59 PM

17,764 posts, read 39,741,511 times
Don't get me wrong, I could care less about Romney being LDS ... I don't care! I think he's a bright man who is very capable of leading this country. My perceived bigotry ... which I'm still confused by that ... comes from inside the GOP. I think that Romney is a great candidate.

Old 01-16-2011, 02:49 PM

11,431 posts, read 19,007,279 times
Quote:
Just curious, does your bigotry extend to all religions, or just to Mormonism? Would you ridicule Judaism, for instance, in the same way as you ridicule Mormonism? And if you did, do you think everybody'd laugh?
I dislike all mormons for their hypocritical evil hand in making Prop 8 a reality in California. I will never forgive them for that. Their tax free status needs to be revoked.
Mormons cannot be trusted with the highest office of the Land. They would integrate their hateful religion into every facet of government.

Old 01-16-2011, 03:05 PM

28,099 posts, read 29,981,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by domergurl View Post
what am I saying that's not true? seer stones in magic hats ... undergarments? fleeing to mexico because of polygymy
There was nothing "magical" about the hat. It was used to block out the light, that's all.

There is nothing "magical" about LDS undergarments, either. Their purpose is to serve as a constant reminder of the covenants we made in the temple. The temple garment for a Mormon is sacred, just like certain kinds of clothing are sacred to Muslims, Jews and American Indians.

Yes, Romney's great-grandparents fled to Mexico to avoid prosecution for their practice of polygamy, a tenet of the LDS faith which has not been practiced for well over one hundred years. Seriously, what's the point of even bringing it up?

Old 01-16-2011, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
I dislike all mormons for their hypocritical evil hand in making Prop 8 a reality in California. I will never forgive them for that. Their tax free status needs to be revoked.
You dislike "all Mormons" even though not "all Mormons" supported the Church's position? I know that I didn't, and I know a great many other Mormons who didn't. But I guess you somehow consider yourself to be an objective and non-prejudiced individual?

Quote:
Mormons cannot be trusted with the highest office of the Land. They would integrate their hateful religion into every facet of government.
Could you explain how we would do that? I'd really like to know how you think that's even a possibility.

Old 01-16-2011, 04:34 PM

866 posts, read 1,560,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
America will never elect a Mormon.

Next!
That's what they said about Catholics too.

Old 01-16-2011, 04:50 PM

11,431 posts, read 19,007,279 times
Quote:
You dislike "all Mormons" even though not "all Mormons" supported the Church's position? I know that I didn't, and I know a great many other Mormons who didn't. But I guess you somehow consider yourself to be an objective and non-prejudiced individual?

Could you explain how we would do that? I'd really like to know how you think that's even a possibility.
If that is so, then why weren't more of you speaking out against it? Millions of dollars from a tax-supported organization is not raised when a "great many others" don't participate. I must say however that I admire how Sen Harry Reid treats all citizens equally, does his job to his best abilities and is a mormon at the same time. I wouldn't think that there are too many like him. Romney is no Harry Reid.

Old 01-16-2011, 05:08 PM

2,793 posts, read 6,125,245 times
Rhomney? I'd rather vote for Obama. At least it would gaurantee more Rebpulican gains in the house.

Old 01-16-2011, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
If that is so, then why weren't more of you speaking out against it? Millions of dollars from a tax-supported organization is not raised when a "great many others" don't participate. I must say however that I admire how Sen Harry Reid treats all citizens equally, does his job to his best abilities and is a mormon at the same time. I wouldn't think that there are too many like him. Romney is no Harry Reid.
You didn't answer my questions. If you want me to answers yours, you can answer mine first.

Old 01-16-2011, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I think the "likable" refers to his personality, not his overall views. I have a hard time thinking anyone would not like his sense of humor, his smile and his down to earth attitude. This doesn't mean you approve of what he stands for. For those who are so narrow minded they have trouble separating nice personalities from overall views go ahead and say he isn't likeable.
To me, he isn't "likeable" because of how he handled himself when running against Romney last time around. He tried very hard to make Romney's religion a huge issue, instead of sticking to politics, and even then didn't bother to raise truly legitmate questions about Romney's beliefs, beliefs that could potentially be worthy of discussion. Instead, he made a parody of Romney's faith. It was decidedly "un-Christian" in my opinion, particularly for a former minister. As a Mormon, I actually like Romney's politics better than I like his personality.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections