Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2011, 05:58 PM

2,031 posts, read 2,989,449 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by A_Lexus View Post
The sad part about Romney is that he is pompous enough to think he is presidential material. He has no more business running for president than Charles Manson. Even John McSame was preferred over him in '08. He also doesn't stand a chance against this great president.

It's as if someone convinced him (or he convinced himself) that he LOOKS like a president, so he should be one. What a fool.
Most GOP nominees lose before they win.

Reagan lost to Nixon in 1968 and Ford in 1976.

GHW Bush lost to Reagan in 1980.

Dole lost to Reagan in 1980 and GHW Bush in 1988.

McCain lost to GW Bush in 2000.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2011, 06:27 PM

5,297 posts, read 7,634,684 times
I always thought Mitt at least looked presidential.......I sense that he is pretty low key guy and if they want to try and overcome the negatives, he needs to start campaigning now and let people see the real Mitt Romney. I think he might make a decent president. I don't see anyone else on the horizon, at the moment, that I am remotely interested in. I definitely won't vote for Obama. If we mess around and lose this election, I am going to be xxxxxxx and I am a registered Democrat...I think I may change my party affiliation.

Old 01-17-2011, 07:46 PM

28,099 posts, read 29,976,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A_Lexus View Post
He has no more business running for president than Charles Manson.
So Romney's a convicted felon now. So, Lexus, why don't you tell us how you really feel?

Old 01-18-2011, 12:06 AM

11,431 posts, read 19,005,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
I just hope he's smart enough not to pick Sarah Palin! Personally, I don't think he'll get far enough to have to worry about picking a runningmate. Huckabee's attitude towards Mormons is just so typical of the average fundamentalist Christian. I can't imagine Romney ever being able to get past that one hurdle.

By the way, I don't know to what degree, if any, things have changed in the past two to three years, but in a 2008 national public opinion poll, 27% of all respondants said they believe that if Mormons had enough political power, they would try to force people to convert to Mormonism. Even more unbelievable (at least to me) was that 47% believe that Mormons can be as fanatical as Muslims. Of course, that's a real slur against Muslims, too. I don't know if these people are thinking of Muslims in some of the Arab countries or of U.S. Muslims, but how many people would vote for someone they saw in that light? Seriously, as a Mormon, I think that there is just a ton of misinformation out there about what Mormons actually believe. For the most part, I think we can thank the right-wing Evangelical Christians for that.
No. Mormons can blame THEMSELVES. If their tikes on bikes weren't out trying to convert ppl and they weren't meddling with State affairs, some ppl wouldn't have the need to expose them for the hypocrites that they are. Any religion that regards blacks as sinful and once was outlawed for its open bigamy doesn't need to be "throwing stones".

Old 01-18-2011, 07:49 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,772,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyageur View Post
Most GOP nominees lose before they win.

Reagan lost to Nixon in 1968 and Ford in 1976.

GHW Bush lost to Reagan in 1980.

Dole lost to Reagan in 1980 and GHW Bush in 1988.

McCain lost to GW Bush in 2000.
Reagan did lose to Ford, but not to Nixon. I am not going to say his name was not thrown in, it was, but he certainly was not a serious candidate. The rest of you statement is true.

Nita

Old 01-18-2011, 08:22 AM

28,099 posts, read 29,976,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
No. Mormons can blame THEMSELVES. If their tikes on bikes weren't out trying to convert ppl and they weren't meddling with State affairs, some ppl wouldn't have the need to expose them for the hypocrites that they are. Any religion that regards blacks as sinful and once was outlawed for its open bigamy doesn't need to be "throwing stones".
You first, wehotex, since you're obvious without sin yourself. Or do the teachings of Jesus Christ not apply to your particular brand of Christianity?

As I said before, there is a ton of misinformation out there about LDS history and doctrine, and you've just proven that once again.

Last edited by Katzpur; 01-18-2011 at 08:34 AM..

Old 01-18-2011, 11:44 AM

5,984 posts, read 13,418,437 times
Although I hope a Democrat wins in 2012 (hopefully someone runs against Obama), I could live with a Romney-Bloomberg ticket winning. I could care less about his Mormonism, because I believe in a strict separation of church and state (people got burned at the stake when religion and politics were merged). Palin or any far-right fanatic would have me packing my bags and looking for a new country to call home.

Old 01-18-2011, 03:35 PM

17,764 posts, read 39,738,186 times
If Obama kicks Biden to the curb and has Hillary join up as VP, nobody will beat them.

Old 01-18-2011, 10:49 PM

11,431 posts, read 19,005,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by domergurl View Post
If Obama kicks Biden to the curb and has Hillary join up as VP, nobody will beat them.
I'd like to see Hillary at the top of the ticket. She's got more b@lls than Obama.

Old 01-19-2011, 09:26 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,772,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by domergurl View Post
I would be totally shocked if this happens. First of all Hillary would not be likely to run with Obama for anything and secondly, history shows dumping a VP is not the smartest move in the world.

Nita
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections