Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2012, 12:10 PM

20,947 posts, read 19,107,698 times

Advertisements

Then, he is attacked by the very same lefties that created the programs that they, themselves brag on and use as campaign slogans in order to get the poor to vote for them.

IMO, Romney is right.

There are many programs for the very poor, and they do need some tweaking.

But the basis for my argument is this....why are the lefties bashing him for telling the truth.

And, why are they bashing him for agreeing with them that the programs which THEY created for the very poor actually help them?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2012, 06:29 PM

18,247 posts, read 22,598,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
Then, he is attacked by the very same lefties that created the programs that they, themselves brag on and use as campaign slogans in order to get the poor to vote for them.

IMO, Romney is right.

There are many programs for the very poor, and they do need some tweaking.

But the basis for my argument is this....why are the lefties bashing him for telling the truth.

And, why are they bashing him for agreeing with them that the programs which THEY created for the very poor actually help them?
This attitude (the poor has welfare and food stamps so they're ok) is the reason that President Obama will be re-elected. The Republicans have no solutions and could care less about the real concerns of the average American. They just don't "get it"

OBAMA 2012

Chrysler Commercial - It's Halftime in America - YouTube

Old 02-06-2012, 08:55 AM

998 posts, read 1,218,812 times
Mitt Romney gets his message out. R-money

http://www.dangerousminds.net/images/uploads/Mitt_Romney_Money.jpg (broken link)

Old 02-06-2012, 02:23 PM

12,546 posts, read 21,468,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackandproud View Post
Now that your stepped down from your bad liberal soap box. Maybe you should have taken a look at not only NPR, but other news channels and talk radio. Not only the Liberals tore the statement apart, but also Republicans. It was a stupid comment to make no matter what. As far as taking out ot context, it runs both ways when a the President or any other Democrat make a comment that the Republicans pounce on out of context.
i think this is dead on. was the comment taken out of context by most? absolutely. many outlets i watched put the comment in full context (including Newshour and NPR), but the talking-head crap on virtually every outlet inevitably had to break it down. it's quite simple though - from a political standpoint, it was a stupid statement to make. whether you agree with his point or not, the point could have been made in a better fashion.

"When I am President, my primary concern will not be the very rich, as they are doing ok. I'll focus on the middle class of America, to strengthen the largest segment of our population and help fuel a recovery. My policies will focus in largely on the middle class, and if there are areas where the safety nets in place need to be fixed, I will fix them."

Same point - but a bit more difficult for opponents on either side to rip apart, no?

A candidate that announces he's not concerned with a segment of the population that makes up nearly 1/5 of the electorate in 2012 is not too smart in my opinion...whether is point is valid or not.

Old 02-06-2012, 02:45 PM

10,942 posts, read 10,288,354 times
You know, this comment by itself, probably wouldn't have gotten much attention.

Unfortunately for Mittens is the fact that there is a pattern to these kind of comments - saying almost $400,00 is "not much," saying he likes to fire people, trying to place a $10,000 bet at a debate, etc.

In fact, any one of these statements by themselves probably wouldn't have gotten much attention. But you start putting all of this together in one package, including him not wanting to release his tax returns and the fact that he has off-shore accounts, as well as the dog on the roof of the car, and he really doesn't present himself as someone who would work "for the people" or has any connection to anyone but the uber-rich.

That picture of his kids spelling out the word "money" is offensive, too. I hadn't seen that one before.

Total disconnect from 99% of the people.

Old 02-06-2012, 03:10 PM

5,767 posts, read 5,029,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinebar View Post

Unfortunately for Mittens is the fact that there is a pattern to these kind of comments - saying almost $400,00 is "not much," saying he likes to fire people, trying to place a $10,000 bet at a debate, etc.

In fact, any one of these statements by themselves probably wouldn't have gotten much attention. But you start putting all of this together in one package, including him not wanting to release his tax returns and the fact that he has off-shore accounts, as well as the dog on the roof of the car, and he really doesn't present himself as someone who would work "for the people" or has any connection to anyone but the uber-rich.

That picture of his kids spelling out the word "money" is offensive, too. I hadn't seen that one before.

^ THIS! Romney has established a pattern of making comments which are less than egalitarian. His handlers can't do much to stem it, either...they can't very well keep him from speaking at all between now and November,
assuming that the GOP continues to favor him over the other candidates.
Any party that considers Eisenhower a RINO is not only out of touch with the majority of Americans, but with reality as well.

Old 02-07-2012, 11:20 AM

25,835 posts, read 20,779,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinebar View Post

Agree 100%.

I understand that people in certain income groups live lives completely different from most. I'll never forget Bush I being completely entranced by the laser scanners in the supermarket, because of course, why would he ever have occasion to go to the supermarket. I get that and despite moments like that Mr. Bush still never gave the overall impression that he was completely removed from the reality of most of his constituents.

When people start saying that they don't know how many houses they own (!) or dismissing hundreds of thousands of dollars as a 'little bit,' then there isn't even the pretense of being a 'regular guy.'
Is it any wonder that Romney's negative favorability ratings are through the roof?
Nope.

Old 02-07-2012, 12:02 PM

10,942 posts, read 10,288,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
Agree 100%.

I understand that people in certain income groups live lives completely different from most. I'll never forget Bush I being completely entranced by the laser scanners in the supermarket, because of course, why would he ever have occasion to go to the supermarket. I get that and despite moments like that Mr. Bush still never gave the overall impression that he was completely removed from the reality of most of his constituents.

When people start saying that they don't know how many houses they own (!) or dismissing hundreds of thousands of dollars as a 'little bit,' then there isn't even the pretense of being a 'regular guy.'
Is it any wonder that Romney's negative favorability ratings are through the roof?
Nope.
Do you remember when then-candidate Obama said this?

"Anyone gone into Whole Foods lately? See what they charge for arugula?"

Those two simple questions earned him the label of "elitist." And claims that he was out of touch. And the same people who were making thoses claims are now wanting to put Mittens in the White House - someone who has done far more to distance himself from the "average joe" than to ask a simple question about the price of arugula.

Go figure.

Of course, from what we've seen over the last four years, I'm convinced that "elitist" was just dog whistle for "uppity." I guess it's ok to be an uber-rich white guy with off shore bank accounts, but it's not ok for a black man to question the price of arugula. Hell, maybe they were just offended that a black man even knows what arugula is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections