Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-29-2012, 12:26 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,889,770 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eleanora1 View Post
Wow. Hit a really sexist nerve didn't I?

Nag? Really? NAG? Why don't you call me a wench and be done with it. And then wonder why the Reps lose women's votes.

Ann gave a speech in which she talked about financial struggles and basically having no choice but to eat pasta and tuna fish. The speech was completely ludicrous. She was born into a wealthy family. She dropped out of school to marry a wealthy guy. She's never had any struggles. To pretend she has is incredibly offensive.

She's telling us to vote for her creepy, greedy husband. If she can't deal with any criticism of him or her own life well tough. She should withdraw if she feels that way. She and Mittens should move to Switzerland so they can visit their money. She's a lazy moron who hasn't even held a job in her entire life and still believes it is her birthright to pay a lower tax rate on her unearned millions than the average America.

Shame on her.
In her defense, Ann Romney has had struggles. She hasn't had financial struggles. But she has had health issues.

In her speech, she was trying to relate to ordinary women, to equate her work of running a house and raising five boys to the work of other women running a house and raising a family. We shouldn't discount that work just because Ann Romney hasn't had financial struggles. The challenges of being a mother and wife are valid challenges.

The problem, as I see it, is that Mitt Romney named his wife as his source of insight into the challenges that the average American woman faces. And Ann isn't an average American woman. She's an extraordinary woman who has dealt with crippling health issues, who has raised five young men she and her husband have every right to be proud of, who has stood at her husband's side as he has pursued a demanding political career. But she's never struggled financially. And because of that, the insight she can give her husband into the challenges an average American woman is limited. She seems to be very compassionate, and really a wonderful person. But her economic status has given her an edge that most American women do not have, will never have.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2012, 12:26 PM

19,784 posts, read 15,116,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hothulamaui View Post
you have lost all credibility with this post

Bur it's the lefties that are meanies, didn't you hear?

Old 08-29-2012, 12:27 PM

3,484 posts, read 2,872,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
Then whoever will you vote for? Because the Obamas were never in poverty. Ever.
Gosh facts are not exactly your forte, are they?

Michelle Obama was raised very lower middle class.

The issue isn't who was raised what. The issue is about the absurd pretense of Ann Romney pretending she ever struggled financially. She's a lying hypocrite who thinks Americans are dumb enough to swallow that nonsense. I don't like to be condescended to and lied to by someone seeking my vote.

Old 08-29-2012, 12:27 PM

5,036 posts, read 5,139,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eleanora1 View Post
Wow. Hit a really sexist nerve didn't I?

Nag? Really? NAG? Why don't you call me a wench and be done with it. And then wonder why the Reps lose women's votes.

Ann gave a speech in which she talked about financial struggles and basically having no choice but to eat pasta and tuna fish. The speech was completely ludicrous. She was born into a wealthy family. She dropped out of school to marry a wealthy guy. She's never had any struggles. To pretend she has is incredibly offensive.

She's telling us to vote for her creepy, greedy husband. If she can't deal with any criticism of him or her own life well tough. She should withdraw if she feels that way. She and Mittens should move to Switzerland so they can visit their money. She's a lazy moron who hasn't even held a job in her entire life and still believes it is her birthright to pay a lower tax rate on her unearned millions than the average America.

Shame on her.
No, shame on you. Perhaps you'd love to trade places. Rich, breast cancer, MS.

Last edited by CaseyB; 08-29-2012 at 01:33 PM.. Reason: personal attack

Old 08-29-2012, 12:28 PM

18,396 posts, read 19,027,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
In her defense, Ann Romney has had struggles. She hasn't had financial struggles. But she has had health issues.

In her speech, she was trying to relate to ordinary women, to equate her work of running a house and raising five boys to the work of other women running a house and raising a family. We shouldn't discount that work just because Ann Romney hasn't had financial struggles. The challenges of being a mother and wife are valid challenges.

The problem, as I see it, is that Mitt Romney named his wife as his source of insight into the challenges that the average American woman faces. And Ann isn't an average American woman. She's an extraordinary woman who has dealt with crippling health issues, who has raised five young men she and her husband have every right to be proud of, who has stood at her husband's side as he has pursued a demanding political career. But she's never struggled financially. And because of that, the insight she can give her husband into the challenges an average American woman is limited. She seems to be very compassionate, and really a wonderful person. But her economic status has given her an edge that most American women do not have, will never have.
this ^^^

Old 08-29-2012, 12:32 PM

20,126 posts, read 16,167,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmmjv View Post
Anne Romney has never worked a day in her life
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmmjv View Post
Maybe for the same reason you have to be rich for raising children to be called working
No. The problem is that too many in America, such as Hillary Rosen, don't recognize it as working. Many, many families choose to do without many material things so that one of the parents can stay home with the children. There are plenty of stay-at-home moms/dads in lower and middle class neighborhoods. They are supporting their families through money earned by the other parent. The reason people want "welfare moms" to get a paying job is not because parenting isn't work, it's that they aren't financially supporting their families, the government is.

Old 08-29-2012, 12:35 PM

3,484 posts, read 2,872,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucsLose View Post
No, shame on you. Perhaps you'd love to trade places. Rich, breast cancer, MS.

You're nothing but a jealous jerk.
This is best you can do? Jealous jerk? Really? That's pathetic. I've been insulted by worse by six year olds.

I'd like Ann Romney to stop pretending to be an ordinary housewife and mother when she isn't. Ordinary mothers have to make real sacrifices when they raise children. Ordinary women face real struggles when confronted with MS or breast cancer. They don't go out and buy dancing horsies.

She and her idiot husband would gladly deny those same ordinary women any of the privileges she doesn't even think about. She's a hypocrite of the highest order. But it is amusing to see Republican men forced defend what amounts to a lazy welfare queen with five children.

Old 08-29-2012, 12:43 PM

8,732 posts, read 6,784,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
Then whoever will you vote for? Because the Obamas were never in poverty. Ever.
Actually Michelle comes from very humble background and there was never any wealth in her family. What she did have was a very supporting family and a father who managed to be the breadwinner as a city pump operator while suffering from MS.

Quote:
Her father, a city pump operator and Democratic precinct captain, worked and lived with multiple sclerosis; his limp and crutches did not affect his abilities as the family breadwinner. Michelle's mother stayed home with her children until they reached high school. The family lived in a one-bedroom apartment on the top floor of a brick bungalow. The living room - converted with a divider down the middle - served as Michelle's bedroom.
http://womensissues.about.com/od/inf...helleObama.htm

Michelle can identify with the average struggling family, unless she forgot where she came from.

Old 08-29-2012, 12:50 PM

8,732 posts, read 6,784,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heidi60 View Post
EXACTLY!

Time to get so many slackers off the taxpayers back. She did a great job last night and appears to be far better than anything in the white house today.

It sounds like her attackers are only fear biters.
She was talking about women who WORK - THEY ARE TAXPAYERS!!!

Quote:
I love the fact that there are women out there who don’t have a choice and they must go to work
There are many women who have a choice to (1) slack off and live off the taxpayers back or (2) work and STRUGGLE. There are more women who chose to work and struggle than those who chose not to.

Old 08-29-2012, 12:51 PM

21,026 posts, read 22,155,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
I guess you're another one who thinks she doesn't know what it's like to be a real woman because "she has never worked a day in her life?" What is she supposed to say? "Na, na, boo, boo, bet you wish you lived my life because I live on easy street?" We all have our blessings and burdens. You shoudn't envy someone their blessings unless you are ready to take on their burdens. Personally, the wealth isn't worth the cancer and MS.
Yes, and isn't it REALLY nice to have those illnesses cared for without one second OF WORRY ABOUT HOW THEY'D BE PAID FOR or if your job is still there after you recover or how will your kids be cared for while you're too sick or who will buy them groceries, or how your mortgage/rent will get paid...... OH HOW TOUGH LITTLE ANNIE HAD IT!!!!!

What the hell it all has to do with your husband being fit to be President ...NOTHING! She can take her phoney "I'm just like you" crap and shove it....Palin tried it, it didn't work.

And to the slobbering blubbering "you're just jealous" posters ...YOU did to it Michelle Obama for four years! How JEALOUS you all must be !

No, Annie put herself out there and if she gets crap for her pathetic "poor little me" crap she EARNED it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections