Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-30-2012, 08:03 AM

3,484 posts, read 2,873,199 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rggr View Post
That is certainly true. A few questions:
Do you think you have to have had the exact experience of a person to be able to help them?
Do you think you have to have had the same experience to be able to understand that their experience is frightening/stressful/heartbreaking for them?
Looking back over recent political history, do you think this would be a topic if she were a Democrat?
Ann does not want to help anyone but her husband.

Starting life off with nearly 400k is not stressful.

If she were a Dem she'd be called a limousine liberal. They certainly attacked Teresa Heinz. Why should Ann expect that she's off limits? Romney said he wants to use his wife as resource in discusing women's issues. Most women struggle to balance caring for children and work. Ann does neither of those things. All she does is illustrate yet again how out of touch the Romneys are. They want to govern our lives but they have no idea how we live them. It is the height of vile arrogance on their part.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2012, 08:08 AM

10,545 posts, read 13,589,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eleanora1 View Post
Ann does not want to help anyone but her husband.

Starting life off with nearly 400k is not stressful.

If she were a Dem she'd be called a limousine liberal. They certainly attacked Teresa Heinz. Why should Ann expect that she's off limits? Romney said he wants to use his wife as resource in discusing women's issues. Most women struggle to balance caring for children and work. Ann does neither of those things. All she does is illustrate yet again how out of touch the Romneys are. They want to govern our lives but they have no idea how we live them. It is the height of vile arrogance on their part.
"Ann does not want to help anyone but her husband. "
Her life history disputes your assertion.

"Starting life off with nearly 400k is not stressful."
I don't know that she did, but if so, good for her.

"Most women struggle to balance caring for children and work. Ann does neither of those things. All she does is illustrate yet again how out of touch the Romneys are. They want to govern our lives but they have no idea how we live them."
She did not struggle with that balance; you are correct. She chose to stay home and did a great job raising 5 boys. Is that bad?

Old 08-30-2012, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Yes it does. The average MS or breast cancer patient will be worse off if her huband is elected president. She's campaigning to govern lives she does not understand or care about very much. Her husband's policies for the sick are cruel.

Quote:
Why? She didn't earn a single penny of it. Her father in law gave the stocks to her husband. Worse, she called it struggling when they had to live on the money. That's not struggling. It's disgusting that she implies otherwise.

Quote:
"Most women struggle to balance caring for children and work. Ann does neither of those things. All she does is illustrate yet again how out of touch the Romneys are. They want to govern our lives but they have no idea how we live them."
She did not struggle with that balance; you are correct. She chose to stay home and did a great job raising 5 boys. Is that bad?
She made a choice that others do not have. She doesn't get that. She wants to make a world with her husband in which others will not get the same choices she did -- to stay at home and rear children if that's what they want. Instead she wants a world in which the rest of us will work harder and pay more in taxes so that she and her fellow inherited wealthy can pay less in taxes.

Yes, that's very bad. She's just another spoiled richy. Worse, she's a spoiled rich pretending she isn't.

Last edited by Eleanora1; 08-30-2012 at 09:06 AM..

Old 08-30-2012, 08:44 AM

21,026 posts, read 22,158,177 times
Ya know, it's a good thing I wasn't Annie's speech writer...I could've actually made her likeable.
Instead of the "Me, MeME,ME, it's all about ME egocentric BS with all her medical problems and other boring crap

I would've had her say something like:

""I have been blessed with money and good fortune and a wonderful husband and supportive financially secure family BUT I know others have not been so lucky...."""

And then I would've had her give examples of REAL people she knows that have had REAL struggles and hardships with no money to make it easy... showing that she's actually AWARE of someone besides herself.

Then maybe she could've stated one SOLID platform of Mitt's that would actually HELP the less fortunate.

Last edited by Who?Me?!; 08-30-2012 at 08:57 AM..

Old 08-30-2012, 08:50 AM

12,372 posts, read 9,317,854 times
Quote:

There is nothing wrong with being a stay-at-home mom. She has a right to be proud of the way her sons turned out. No one is criticizing her for that decision. It's what most women in her age bracket did. What she's being criticized for is her claim to understand how hard it is to have to work outside the home and raise a family at the same time. And she's being criticized for her claim that she understands what it's like to struggle to pay the bills.

Old 08-30-2012, 08:57 AM

12,481 posts, read 10,227,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by selrahC View Post
No, but I do believe her goal was to humanize her husband and show people a side of him they've never seen. She didn't really say anything new, and she had a lot of opportunity to give examples of how he cares about people -- for instance, she could have gone into detail about how he helped her during her MS and breast cancer, gave the audience examples.

I don't think she did enough to move his likeability. I suppose she did enough to move her's.
If you want a president you like vote Obama , if you want a president to lead the way out of this economic mess vote mitt

Old 08-30-2012, 09:02 AM

990 posts, read 939,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotleyCrew View Post
You missed the part where she mentioned living in a basement while hubby went to school. Her father worked in the mines. She and Mitt made their money.

YOu seem to value only those who can't pull themselves up and depend on the gov to care for them......
One person's poverty is as real as the other person's.

Mitt made his money? Really?
He was a rich kid who was handed a high-paying job from his daddy's connections right out of college.

Give me a break.

And his job? Not manufacturing anything or creating jobs. It was with a consulting firm whose main way to cut costs for its clients was to suggest layoffs.

Ann Romney talking about how she knows what it's like to struggle is like me saying "I know what it's like to have a period" because I've seen my girlfriend go through hers. It's nonsense and the people who fall for the whole Romney/Ryan BS are just so stupid. Ryan comes out and says how the stimulus was this horrible thing even though he BEGGED and PLEADED for money from it. Romney comes out and says the opposite of everything he said as a governor of MA.

Old 08-30-2012, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjtwet View Post
If you want a president you like vote Obama , if you want a president to lead the way out of this economic mess vote mitt
His way of leading was to fire people, ship jobs overseas, open Swiss bank accounts, buy a car elevator and whine he pays too much in taxes. People like him are the problem not the solution. He's just another greedy rich guy seeking yet more power.

Obama's problem is not that he isn't Mitt. Obama's problem is that he doesn't do enough to confront people like Mitt.

Old 08-30-2012, 09:25 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,894,256 times
Quote:
That is certainly true. A few questions:
Do you think you have to have had the exact experience of a person to be able to help them?
Do you think you have to have had the same experience to be able to understand that their experience is frightening/stressful/heartbreaking for them?
Looking back over recent political history, do you think this would be a topic if she were a Democrat?
1. No, but that's not what this topic is about. It's not about Ann Romney and the generosity and compassion she would bring to the position of first lady. It's about Ann Romney advising her husband about the issues of AVERAGE American women, and how much she fully understands about the lives of AVERAGE American women. I think Ann Romney has much to offer in insights about women. I just think that NEVER having to worry about the bills is a huge chasm to bridge with most Americans worrying about where the money is going to come from to pay basic bills.

2. I don't think you have to have the same identical experience, but I think you have to have similar experiences in order to truly relate. To me, this is the difference between empathy and sympathy. I think Ann Romney can sympathize, but I'm not sure she can empathize. Because she has no foundation of experience to empathize from. Her experiences in life have always been insulated by money. But even so, her life hasn't been a cakewalk. She's faced challenges, and she's overcome them. She's raised her children, and been an exemplary mother. I truly have nothing but respect for Mrs Romney.

3. I don't know. I don't see the issue as a partisan issue. But clearly there are those on this thread that see it that way. I can't represent a partisan position. I like the Romneys. I also like the Obamas. I liked the McCains. I like the Clintons. I appreciate that everyone brings strengths and shortcomings to the table, and I think that it's fair to discuss those strengths and shortcomings. So my view of Ann Romney on this particular topic isn't so much on Ann Romney, but it's on Mitt Romney, who says his wife gives him insight into the lives and concerns of AVERAGE American women. I think Mitt Romney should rely on his wife for some of that insight, but I think he should look further, to other conservative women that have had more AVERAGE lives to draw those insights from. If Mitt Romney wins the election, I want him to have as broad a range as possible for his insights into the lives, concerns, and challenges of the American people. That's all.

Old 08-30-2012, 09:39 AM

6,811 posts, read 6,951,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dhult View Post
She called her a rich *****.

I said she could be one too.

Only a certain mindset would think that it would require rich parents or a sugar daddy.
I have more faith in people to obtain wealth by hard work and good choices.
Hard work and good choices are fine, as long as you don't have vulture capitalists like Romney undermining your efforts by taking over the company, saddling it with debt and then absconding with millions while you are put out of a job as the company you invested years in goes bankrupt.

You cannot disregard the incredible head start people have by being born to rich parents. Although there have been some who have lifted themselves out of poverty to attain success despite tremendous odds, percentage wise there are far more successful people who had the advantage of everything the wealthy have easy access to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections