Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-29-2012, 12:59 PM

38,496 posts, read 25,830,486 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by seahawkgirl View Post
Aren't you just green with envy? Or is it just pure hate? Guess you wish you could change places with a woman who raised five sons while dealing with breast cancer and MS just to get your greedy little hands on some of that money. Yup she had it easy cuz she's rich. This is so stupid. Do you not see that your hate is ugly and petty and it is what is going to tear our country apart? Stop the jealousy and pettiness and focus on something REAL!!!!!
When she has raised five boys while fighting breast cancer whose husband left her AND has to hold down a job to feed the family, she can understand. Otherwise, she is only pretending. Ann's idea of a hectic schedule is having a tennis lesson, nails done, and massage all in one afternoon.

No envy, just resent her pretending to have it hard like the majority of mothers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2012, 01:04 PM

15,866 posts, read 21,452,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucsLose View Post
No, shame on you. Perhaps you'd love to trade places. Rich, breast cancer, MS.

You're nothing but a jealous jerk.
You're damn right, I'm jealous. I had to work full time through Stage IV cancer- right back in the office the day after two operations and working over 40 hours a week (at one point, I had to work a 70 hour week) during 6 months of chemo. Ann Romney luckily caught her cancer early (no doubt due to having full access to healthcare) and simply had a lumpectomy - which is no walk in the park but it very benign compared to many other cancer treatments. In fact, oncologists refer to her type of cancer as "in-situ" or "pre-cancer". It wasn't even Stage I. She rides a horse that costs much more than my annual salary (a respectable entry level salary) to help alleviate symptoms of MS. Meanwhile, myself and many other people are forced to work full time against doctor's orders, through pain, vomiting, and extreme fatigue. I have friends who were back stacking boxes in Whole Foods a week after major colon cancer surgery or working through MS at a Salvation Army in order to keep health insurance. Has Mrs. Romney ever for one moment had to worry about how she would pay for her treatment? Or how she would pay for her rent, food, or the car needed to get her to her doctor's appointments because her health caused her to stop working?

Ann Romney's children were all grown when she faced both MS (her youngest was 17) and cancer. She never returned to work after her children were grown, so her only responsibility through her illnesses have been to work toward getting well. That is a luxury.

Health is not the great equalizer that people try to make it out to be.

Old 08-29-2012, 01:06 PM

15,866 posts, read 21,452,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
When she has raised five boys while fighting breast cancer whose husband left her AND has to hold down a job to feed the family, she can understand. Otherwise, she is only pretending. Ann's idea of a hectic schedule is having a tennis lesson, nails done, and massage all in one afternoon.

No envy, just resent her pretending to have it hard like the majority of mothers.

She did not raise her children while fighting cancer. She had a pre-cancerous tumor (NOT cancer) in 2008 - her youngest was 27. She wasn't even raising children when she was diagnosed with MS.

Old 08-29-2012, 01:07 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,194,204 times
The "we were poor and struggled" stuff is just ridiculous.

She was born and raised in Bloomfield Hills, MI which is a very wealthy town. She attended private schools.

Anne was in Grenoble, France (a resort) and Mitt was in Paris while other young couples in the 60's were facing the husband being drafted. If he was he was sent to Vietnam. The wife was at home worried about him coming home in a box.

Tuna and pasta? The average young military couple was worried that she'd have enough gas to get to the PX and hoping that her mom would be with her when she was in labor. The husband was in a hooch in the jungle picking leeches off his butt while he wrote a letter home saying, "I love you. I know you hate living with your parents, but I'll be home soon and hopefully we can find a place we can afford. Kiss the baby for me."

He went to Stanford. The Vietnam vet came home to go to a community college on the GI Bill while he worked part time.

Old 08-29-2012, 01:14 PM

6,933 posts, read 8,497,657 times
From Juan Williams at FOX:

Quote:
The wonderful reality is that both Ann and Mitt are scions of wealthy families. They were born to lives of privilege -- she, the daughter of a wealthy industrialist and he, the son of an automobile company CEO and governor of Michigan.

They may have started out in a small apartment but she was married a young man studying for a Harvard business and law degree. Their parents could afford to send them to elite universities like Stanford and Harvard without needing scholarships or financial aid. And then her talented husband had monumental success in the corporate world.

It does not make sense to me to talk about that couple having struggles similar to most Americans. They never had to live with economic fear of being laid off from a job or losing their health insurance.
Read more: Ann Romney, me and her convention speech | Fox News

Old 08-29-2012, 01:16 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,065,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
In her defense, Ann Romney has had struggles. She hasn't had financial struggles. But she has had health issues.
She needs no "defense" either her political act rings true to voters or it doesn't. The reaction on this thread is indicative of the reaction of a portion of the target audience, voters!

Quote:
In her speech, she was trying to relate to ordinary women,
Exactly! Why? To sell a significant portion of the voting population who do not believe that Romney relates to them AND I MIGHT ADD, that includes many Romeny supporters. Unfortunately for Mrs. Romney and her husband, 65% of stay at home moms live in households that earn less than the Romney's spend on their horse!

Quote:
to equate her work of running a house and raising five boys to the work of other women running a house and raising a family.
And therein lies the problem and the reason for the open derision on this thread. Ann Romney's simply can't equate her circumstances with those of the average woman staying at home raising a family and to attempt to do so in such a blatantly transparent manner is wrong headed and patronizing.

Now some have brought of the names of wealthy democrats who are seen to this days as champions of the poor, men like FDR, and the Kennedy's. The difference between them and the Romney's is they did try to pretend that their life circumstances were in any way similar to those of the average American but they were able to impart what was perceived as a genuine concern for the pool and working classes by putting the issue as:
“The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little.â€
FDR
If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich.

John F. Kennedy 1-20-1963
JFK

Where are like minded comments from the Romney's or the Republican Party?

Quote:
We shouldn't discount that work just because Ann Romney hasn't had financial struggles. The challenges of being a mother and wife are valid challenges.
As if all challenges are equal, which appears to be the Romney argument.

Quote:
The problem, as I see it, is that Mitt Romney named his wife as his source of insight into the challenges that the average American woman faces. And Ann isn't an average American woman. She's an extraordinary woman who has dealt with crippling health issues, who has raised five young men
WTF?!? As if the average American woman doesn't face crippling illnesses such as ovarian and breast cancer, diabetes or any of a host of medical conditions that they can ill afford due to a lack of adequate healthcare which Romney and the Republicans are so adamant at repealing but offering very little in the way of replacement. The same average American women who raise children without the assistance of household staffs, and who have to worry that their husbands will become unemployed just like the "unemployed" Mitt Romney! Considering the economics of the average American woman, Ann Romney is anything other than extraordinary, and that is the point of the criticism.

Old 08-29-2012, 01:21 PM

9,319 posts, read 18,752,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seahawkgirl View Post
Aren't you just green with envy? Or is it just pure hate? Guess you wish you could change places with a woman who raised five sons while dealing with breast cancer and MS just to get your greedy little hands on some of that money. Yup she had it easy cuz she's rich. This is so stupid. Do you not see that your hate is ugly and petty and it is what is going to tear our country apart? Stop the jealousy and pettiness and focus on something REAL!!!!!
Sad to see the democratic party desolve into a bunch of jealous haters and bigots on top of it. The hypocrisy comes in when comparing say....Tom Hanks weath to the Romney's wealth...both wealthy and both earned the money but somehow if it is a Hollowood leftest, then it is to be admired but when a republican earns it...well you know the rest.

Old 08-29-2012, 01:22 PM

12,481 posts, read 10,227,792 times
If this election is about first ladies. give me Ann Romney . I woman who raised 5 boys fought MS and breast cancer compared to Michelle Obama who was only proud of her country when they nominated her husband.
The election should not be about families it should be about the economy.But the left wing nut jobs even know they can not win if its about the economy so they will demonize a lady to avoid a discussion on issues

Old 08-29-2012, 01:22 PM

13,887 posts, read 13,678,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
Don't forget having to get up at the crack of dawn to call Jan Ebeling and have Jan call the stable boy to make sure that Rafalca's stall is cleaned.
Yay! She's a........................

JOB CREATOR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by seventysfeaver View Post
I also love the horse Rafalca was therapy. Really? She did not train it, ride it or work with it, she hired it all done, is that therapy? So if I buy a car that has been restored, is that therapy working on the car even though I did not work on it? I think she would hire people to breath for her if she could .
Why do you make up stuff? Of course she rode it.

EPIC FAIL. Credibility: ZERO!

Old 08-29-2012, 01:25 PM

9,319 posts, read 18,752,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
I missed the part where she mentioned her ChickenHawk husband supporting the Vietnam War/draft yet running off to France rather than fighting the war he believed was the right thing to do.
I thought you people loved draft dodgers? Bill Clinton pops into mind...just sayin. Maybe he did not agree with the war...then he would be a hero right? I could care less, I want a person in the white house with a business mind and common sense, he is that man right now. No one president is perfect in all regards and the one we have is the worst we have seen to date.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections