Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-19-2012, 07:56 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,828,810 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkatt View Post
Why don't you admit. you don't even comprehend the remark that was made?

Romney's 47% remark, was about the 47% pf the people who were going to vote Obama no matter what, because they have become dependent on the government to provide for them.

He was basically saying, that he will never ever reach these 47% because their decision has been made, more than likely because they feel that someone else will take away what they believe they are entitled to, so he needs to reach out to the 53% who are willing to listen. Too bad many people can't understand his comment.
I understood his remark to be what you bolded and it was a stupid remark. Most people who support Obama work and most people who don't pay federal income tax work, but don't make enough to pay taxes. They do pay payroll taxes, state taxes, local taxes, property taxes (even if they rent, most landlords charge an amount for rent that will take care of their property taxes for that particular dwelling) sales taxes, gas taxes, all sorts of taxes. You people so focused on soley federal income tax are pretty dingy IMO. Not paying federal income tax does not equate to being "dependent on the government." That is an insult to millions of Americans who work longer hours than Romney for change compared to what he makes. They work much harder than he does.

I actually do feel that the 47% of Obama voters are better than Romney in a lot of areas. Most of them work or are retired and worked their whole lives. Romney doesn't work, therefore doesn't pay federal income tax either (he must not care about going after himself lol).

I agree with the other commenters that he is doing himself in with these comments. I actually do think he is a rather moderate republican and if he wasn't so out of touch with the day to day realities of every day Americans' lives, he would have a shot at winning. But he doesn't have either of the latter and is just making himself look bad with this sort of thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2012, 08:00 AM

507 posts, read 1,538,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Last figures I saw were that Obama paid $162,074. Romney paid $3 million. Romney paid more than Obama.

Obama's 2011 Tax Returns Show He Paid a 20.5 Percent Rate Amid 'Buffett Rule' Fight - ABC News
What are you going to do with all your time and Obama hate after Obama wins the election in November?

A hobby? Therapy?

Old 09-19-2012, 08:00 AM

89,051 posts, read 44,853,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
Too many people are getting government checks? Most 'government checks' are entitlements. Paraphrasing Ronald Reagan, who once said, "I paid for that microphone," those getting Social Security and Medicare paid for that entitlement.
Medicaid is not SS or Medicare. SNAP is not SS or Medicare. Section 8 is not SS or Medicare. Various other additional services and benefits are not SS or Medicare. People who pay no federal income tax contribute NOTHING towards the expenses of those programs yet are the HIGHEST beneficiaries of such.

Old 09-19-2012, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Felix C View Post
Seniors do pay income tax if their AGI is above a certain level. I would wager most who are homeowners have their property paid off and use the standard deduction. Any retiree with mulitple income streams from investments, pensions, SS,etc. do pay income taxes. I write this as one is a family member and makes as much retired as when employed.
Exactly.

Liberals who try to kidnap seniors for their emotional outburst outrage poster child = FAIL

Old 09-19-2012, 08:03 AM

28,900 posts, read 30,279,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Many of the "victims" he talks about who pay no taxes are elderly persons on social security. They paid their dues, paid their taxes all their lives, in most cases a much higher percentage of their incomes than Romney has paid. Now when they are owed the return on investment in Social Security and Medicare, Romney wants to make it sound like a slur to say they are ENTITLED. Damn right, Mitt, they paid for it and they are entitled to have it! It's not a handout and it is not a pot of gold you can steal to give tax cuts to yourself.
No, the people that he was referring to are the dead beats....he spoke the truth, and something that needed to be said. I'm not a Romney enthusiast, however, he spoke what needed to be said, period.
He was not attacking people on social security....

Old 09-19-2012, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
Let me help you out here:
Tax Break - Not taking as much of your money.
Welfare - Giving you money that was taken from someone else.

Huge difference.
Yep.

What do liberals not get about that?

Serious question.

Old 09-19-2012, 08:07 AM

13,887 posts, read 13,676,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Many of the "victims" he talks about who pay no taxes are elderly persons on social security. They paid their dues, paid their taxes all their lives, in most cases a much higher percentage of their incomes than Romney has paid. Now when they are owed the return on investment in Social Security and Medicare, Romney wants to make it sound like a slur to say they are ENTITLED. Damn right, Mitt, they paid for it and they are entitled to have it! It's not a handout and it is not a pot of gold you can steal to give tax cuts to yourself.
Guess again, duh! I'm elderly and on social security. I paid my dues, paid taxes all my life, and if I vote, it will be FOR Romney.

Those of use who took care of things all our lives to ensure we could retire comfortably already know that and we know Mitt's the man, definitely NOT Obama. We're way too smart for the likes of liberals. That's why we're comfortable and laughing at people like you.

Old 09-19-2012, 08:08 AM

19,792 posts, read 13,954,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
No, the people that he was referring to are the dead beats....he spoke the truth, and something that needed to be said. I'm not a Romney enthusiast, however, he spoke what needed to be said, period.
He was not attacking people on social security....
You can believe Romney said something different than what he actually said, but Romney specifically referred to them as the 47% that pay no taxes.

EXACT QUOTE:
Quote:
There are 47 percent of the people who will vote for the president no matter what. All right, there are 47 percent who are with him, who are dependent upon government, who believe that they are victims, who believe that government has a responsibility to care for them, who believe that they are entitled to health care, to food, to housing, to you name it. That that's an entitlement. And the government should give it to them. And they will vote for this president no matter what. And I mean, the president starts off with 48, 49, 48—he starts off with a huge number. These are people who pay no income tax. Forty-seven percent of Americans pay no income tax.

Last edited by MTAtech; 09-19-2012 at 08:34 AM..

Old 09-19-2012, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrugalYankee View Post
You must be a Republican. Obviously you consider the father of those children to be free of any moral obligations and it is all the responsiblity of the mother because of her gender.
No, I'm intelligent. 50% percent of first marriages, 67% of second and 74% of third marriages end in divorce, according to Jennifer Baker of the Forest Institute of Professional Psychology in Springfield, Missouri. Any woman desiring to breed would be absolutely idiotic to not take that information into consideration and make sure she can support on her own any children she may decide bear.

Depending on someone else who may or may not have the resources to foot the bills for you and the children you bear? NOT smart. Not given those divorce statistics.

Old 09-19-2012, 08:13 AM

9,961 posts, read 17,529,744 times
Let's see...who's not paying taxes.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections