Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Income tax and Presidential preference
$0 - Obama 2 2.56%
$0 - Romney 5 6.41%
$0 - Someone else 2 2.56%
$1-2500 - Obama 5 6.41%
$1-2500 - Romney 3 3.85%
$1-2500 - Someone else 2 2.56%
$2501-7500 - Obama 6 7.69%
$2501-7500 - Romney 4 5.13%
$2501-7500 - Someone else 1 1.28%
$7501-$15,000 - Obama 7 8.97%
$7501-$15,000 - Romney 6 7.69%
$7501-$15,000 - Someone else 0 0%
$15,001-$25,000 - Obama 6 7.69%
$15,001-$25,000 - Romney 4 5.13%
$15,001-$25,000 - Someone else 1 1.28%
More than $25,000 - Obama 9 11.54%
More than $25,000 - Romney 10 12.82%
More than $25,000 - Someone else 5 6.41%
Voters: 78. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2012, 01:49 PM

13,691 posts, read 18,458,970 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post
JayZ isn't walking around preaching that he knows the pain of the average Joe. Although, he could....He actually did come from nothing.

I have absolutely no disdain for the rich. None whatsoever. I want to be one, one day. However, if you are a filthy rich presidential candidate, you better sure as hell be honest about it and not try to con me into trying to believe that you understand my middle-class or poverty strife. You better also show me how you are looking out for my interests (and that doesn't mean freebies). Romney is having a hard time pulling that off.

Let's face it--most presidential candidates these days come from wealth. The latest exception or the closest to actually experiencing middle class has been Obama, although by the time he ran for President he was definitely in the upper ranks of middle class based on the combined income of his household. Other "wealthy" presidential candidates have never had this much trouble trying to connect with voters of lower economic levels.
Let's see...

Jay Z slams Occupy Wall Street protests saying they didn't have a firm mission (but he thought it was fine to profit off t-shirt about movement)

At the "Original" protests in New York of the 99% he was selling T-shirts and commiserating with them.

Quote:
Got in trouble when he made 'Occupy All Streets' t-shirts and didn't donate any of the profits to the protest movement.
You're wrong.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2012, 01:50 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,222,338 times
Quote:
JayZ isn't walking around preaching that he knows the pain of the average Joe. Although, he could....He actually did come from nothing.

I have absolutely no disdain for the rich. None whatsoever. I want to be one, one day. However, if you are a filthy rich presidential candidate, you better sure as hell be honest about it and not try to con me into trying to believe that you understand my middle-class or poverty strife. You better also show me how you are looking out for my interests (and that doesn't mean freebies). Romney is having a hard time pulling that off.

Let's face it--most presidential candidates these days come from wealth. The latest exception or the closest to actually experiencing middle class has been Obama, although by the time he ran for President he was definitely in the upper ranks of middle class based on the combined income of his household. Other "wealthy" presidential candidates have never had this much trouble trying to connect with voters of lower economic levels.
He grew up in Hawaii and went to Columbia and Harvard. He attended a Private school before that while moving to many places around the world before that. In my world that is not middle class.

Old 09-19-2012, 01:51 PM

13,691 posts, read 18,458,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdEatsAlot View Post
No, thats not ok.
Those not brainwashed by a political machine see it. Neither Republicans nor Democrats can relate to the civilians anymore.
That's right, running for office has become a cult of popularity and pandering to special interests.

I hate how both sides are chasing after the MONEY.

Old 09-19-2012, 01:52 PM

8,982 posts, read 10,465,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
He grew up in Hawaii and went to Columbia and Harvard. He attended a Private school before that while moving to many places around the world before that. In my world that is not middle class.
And yet his mom was on food stamps for a time when he was little, and he got a full scholarship to that private school -- something that is generally not provided to children of upper-class families. Also, I'm not sure where you got the idea that growing up in Hawaii means one cannot be poor or middle-class. Having lived there for 3 years, I can assure you that is not the case.

Old 09-19-2012, 01:54 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,772,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pch1013 View Post
Really? Because according to Mitt Romney, the amount of Federal income tax one pays (or doesn't) is extremely significant.
and is this because you said so, or because he was referring to the number of non payers who will vote for Obama? He never said anything else and I happen to believe, like PK, no one on this board needs to know how much any of us paid in income taxes or how much we made, or even how much of our income comes from the government, if any....

Old 09-19-2012, 01:55 PM

13,186 posts, read 14,982,506 times
Well I can see a good many people at CD are liars. No way in hell 32% paid more than $25K in individual personal income tax. I've been around here long enough to know the demographic and that's just not within the bounds of reason. Median "Houshold" income is $50K. Individual median income is $40K Lots of elderly folks here on limited incomes.

Last edited by padcrasher; 09-19-2012 at 02:06 PM..

Old 09-19-2012, 01:57 PM

20,126 posts, read 16,167,528 times
Quote:
He made $165,200 in a time when the average household income was $52,000. I imagine Michelle was pretty well paid at the time too.

From an article written in 2008:
Quote:
Well, at least there's an official poverty line. In 2007, it was an annual income under $20,650 for a family of four.

As for middle class, well, the Congressional Research Service issued a report last year pegging middle class income as between $19,000 a year and $91,000 a year.

Old 09-19-2012, 01:57 PM

12,906 posts, read 15,664,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post
Let's see...

Jay Z slams Occupy Wall Street protests saying they didn't have a firm mission (but he thought it was fine to profit off t-shirt about movement)

At the "Original" protests in New York of the 99% he was selling T-shirts and commiserating with them.

You're wrong.

I'm wrong about what? That JayZ didn't come from nothing? You are comparing JayZ to Romney. Why don't we disdain JayZ while we disdain Romney?

First of all I don't disdain JayZ or Romney. More power to each of them for finding a way to make millions. I also don't care that they probably pay a less effective tax rate than I do. They work within in the system that we have in place and I would do the same in their shoes. JayZ is not running for president. When you run for president you need to find a way to relate to all your potential constituents and Romney is failing quite well in that area. He *tries* to fabricate stories of his post-college life where he lived meagerly. It's all quite hard to believe and, to be honest, he doesn't need to do it because it's not sincere. He should just be himself. My comparison with JayZ at this point is that, while he is filthy rich now, and married to a filthy rich woman, he did spend most of his years in the projects. If he were to tell me a story about his life in the projects and his hardships they would be true and he can probably relate to a lot more folks in this country than Romney can. Now, if he's turned into an a$$ in the meantime, well, I can't talk on that because I don't keep up with him.

Old 09-19-2012, 01:59 PM

8,982 posts, read 10,465,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
He made $165,200 in a time when the average household income was $52,000. I imagine Michelle was pretty well paid at the time too.
Which means they're middle-class, at least by Mitt Romney's definition.

Old 09-19-2012, 01:59 PM

20,126 posts, read 16,167,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by padcrasher View Post
Well I can see a good many people at CD are liars. No way in hell 30% paid more than $25K in individual personal income tax. I've been around here long enough to know the demographic and that's just not within the bounds of reason.
People can lie because it is anonymous. Which is one of the problems with all kinds of polls, including the political ones out there that everyone keeps quoting. The only poll that matters is the one ran by the government on election day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections