Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2012, 09:23 PM

13,221 posts, read 12,319,525 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rathagos View Post
You know... changing gears here... and as I started posting in this thread... social (societal) implications are really interesting (sorry, I was a social psychology major).

Race plays a role in everything... and acknowledging that is VERY important. Is it inherent in us (as humans)? It's one thing to admit they exist, it's quite enough to "blame" someone because of it, isn't it?

At what level do we overlook race and determine more on substance?

If there are two football teams playing, do we cheer for the quarterback of our team, or our team regardless? How many times do we really think about the black quarterback being chosen over the white because of his color? Now, what about coaches? Different story? Higher position so it's more important to us?

What if the shoe were on the other foot? What if Colin Powell had run for the Republican party like many had hoped? Would there be more defense of him because he's on "our" side now? Would it be liberals saying the only reason the Republican party picked/endorsed him is because he's black and can pull the black vote?

I was hoping Romney would pick Condi Rice for VP. I think his economic experience with her foreign experience would be a good ticket for conservatives. If that had happened, would liberals (including media) have made the assessment that it was not only for the black vote, but for the women vote, too?

Did his being black help "the cause"? I think so... but since most blacks already vote Democrat, it may not have been as substantial as some claim. If the REPUBLICAN party had someone black (or black and female as with Condi Rice), then there might be more ammunition.

But I think we can all agree that regardless of whether it helped him get the nomination from his party, or even elected president, it hasn't affected his performance (whether you agree with it or not). But it's always interesting when you stop to step back and look at it from the other side's point of view.
Nice post I just want to add that even if Condi would have ran with mitt the results would have been the same. She is not respected in the black community either, Now if Colin Powell would have ran against Obama he had a better chance to win over the black vote because he is more respected and has a way better foreign and a beter military understanding then all of them including the old dude.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections