Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-02-2013, 04:13 PM

396 posts, read 365,305 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
2012 was a 100 plus electoral vote BO victory-with all 19 blue states since 1988 intact, plus VA, NM, it was over before it began.

The hard right has its head in the sand.

Im not hard right, just an observer of U.S politics and how the 2 party system exchange turns in congress and W.H. and no party has a permanent lock on anything.

lets look at the facts that you ignore:

in 2012: 58% of the electorate voted and Obama got 51% of that block. Meaning 42% of the electorate stayed home and 47% of 58% of the electorate that voted voted against him and he got 5 million votes less in 2012 than in 2008.

Tell me how is that a lock for the democrats in 2016?

Old 09-02-2013, 04:38 PM

20,868 posts, read 23,565,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rush71 View Post
Im not hard right, just an observer of U.S politics and how the 2 party system exchange turns in congress and W.H. and no party has a permanent lock on anything.

in 2012: 58% of the electorate voted and Obama got 51% of that block. Meaning 42% of the electorate stayed home and 47% of 58% of the electorate that voted voted against him and he got 5 million votes less in 2012 than in 2008.

He got 5 million less votes and still won, what does that tell you about the Republican candidate?

Old 09-02-2013, 04:57 PM

3,236 posts, read 3,940,220 times
The Republican party will not win another presidency until they abandon social conservatism. There are a good number of Republicans who get it and want Chris Christie on the ticket, he'd actually be a formidable opponent.

Unfortunately for the GOP, normal Republicans are way outnumbered by insane Teabaggers who literally believe the Bible and want it forced on everyone else. Tea Partiers are possibly the stupidest group in politics because unlike most groups, they intentionally do stupid things to lose like nominating extreme right wing lunatics in liberal/moderate electorates. The GOP will be back when they become more like the center right parties in Europe and Canada that have abandoned loony superstition as part of their platform.

Also look at the map, It'd be nearly impossible for a Republican today to win all the same states Bush won in 2004. Nevada, Colorado and Virginia are gone from the Republican column for the forseeable future. Even if GOP wins OH and FL they would still lose commandingly without those state. The Republican boobs on here who think our next president will be one of them are deluded and none will produce a map that will show how a Republican victory is possible, they'll be as right as they were about Romney

Last edited by PhenomenalAJ; 09-02-2013 at 05:09 PM..

Old 09-02-2013, 05:01 PM

20,187 posts, read 23,864,594 times
I predict nobody wins in the end.... We all lose...

Old 09-02-2013, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trlhiker View Post
He got 5 million less votes and still won, what does that tell you about the Republican candidate?
somebody had to win, isn't always a 50-50 chance that somebody will win and somebody will lose in every election.

explain how does that make a Democrat Party have a permanent lock on the WH? you think the majority of the voters will always vote democrat no matter what? LMAO

Old 09-02-2013, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhenomenalAJ View Post
The Republican party will not win another presidency until they abandon social conservatism. There are a good number of Republicans who get it and want Chris Christie on the ticket, he'd actually be a formidable opponent.

Unfortunately for the GOP, normal Republicans are way outnumbered by insane Teabaggers who literally believe the Bible and want it forced on everyone else. Tea Partiers are possibly the stupidest group in politics because unlike most groups, they intentionally do stupid things to lose like nominating extreme right wing lunatics in liberal/moderate electorates. The GOP will be back when they become more like the center right parties in Europe and Canada that have abandoned loony superstition as part of their platform.

So basically you want 2 moderate/liberal parties? what's the point of that?

Tell me again what so extreme about the Tea Party platform?..................and what's your love for Chrisitie? he can't even win his liberal state of New Jersey in a general election, so what's the point of running that RINO?

by the way, you don't need to win the WH to govern the U.S.....you have congress and governorships and state legislations. Those branches have a more direct effect in our lives than whoever sits in the WH.

30 Republican Governors
20 Democrat Governors
U.S. Congress Republican
W.H. Democrat.

again, where is the democrat lock on this nation?.......looks pretty divided to me, nobody has a mandate.

Last edited by Rush71; 09-02-2013 at 05:17 PM..

Old 09-02-2013, 05:17 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,977,520 times
Quote:

Only electoral votes are worth discussing. Dems start with 260, as previously long-term blue since 1988 states plus demographically blue now NM, VA get them there. The GOP does well where no one lives-hence they start at miniscule 180 (based on states red since 1988).

That leaves about 10 swing states-Dems need 1( 260 is just ten short), GOP 10 (they need 90 of about 100 swing state EVs). Odds of a party getting all 10 swing states = 2 to the tenth power.1 time every 1,024 elections, or 4,096 years. Since Dems have won 2 straight-that gives the GOP the election victory in the year 6100. (2012 plus 4,096 years less 8 years since Dems took last 2.).

Old 09-02-2013, 05:20 PM

3,236 posts, read 3,940,220 times
Quote:
So basically you want 2 moderate/liberal parties? what's the point of that?

Tell me again what so extreme about the Tea Party platform?..................and what's your love for Chrisitie? he can't even win his liberal state of New Jersey in a general election, so what's the point of running that RINO?

by the way, you don't need to win the WH to govern the U.S.....you have congress and governorships and state legislations. Those branches have a more direct effect in our live than whoever sits in the WH.
No, I'd like a center-right party and an actual liberal party, that likely won't happen. I don't like Christie, Im saying he'd be the most formidable Republican candidate. You claim not to be hard right but feel the Tea Party is moderate and call moderate Republicans like Christie RINOs? lmao You should tell the other Republicans on here they don't need the White House to govern, lots seem to be upset that Obama is president so you shoukl inform them that the presidency is irrelevant, I've been following politics for years and I wasn't aware of this!

Old 09-02-2013, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
Only electoral votes are worth discussing. Dems start with 260, as previously long-term blue since 1988 states plus demographically blue now NM, VA get them there. The GOP does well where no one lives-hence they start at 180 (based on states red since 1988).

That leaves about 10 swing states-Dems need 1, GOP 10. Odds of a party getting all 10 = 2 to the tenth power.1 time every 1,024 elections, or 4,096 years. Since Dems have won 2 straight-that gives the GOP the election victory in the year 6090.

Dems doesn't start with 260, I don't know where you get to that conclusion.

Old 09-02-2013, 05:26 PM

4,783 posts, read 3,302,408 times
Quote:
somebody had to win, isn't always a 50-50 chance that somebody will win and somebody will lose in every election.

explain how does that make a Democrat Party have a permanent lock on the WH? you think the majority of the voters will always vote democrat no matter what? LMAO
It would be nearly impossible for a Republican to win with only 30 percent of the Hispanic or Asian vote. So any candidate that opposes some sort of amnesty can write off those groups. If the Dems carry New Mexico, Nevada and Colorado, three states with large Hispanic populations the GOP is finished. In 2012 even if Romney would of won Ohio, Virginia and Florida he still would not of reached 270EV. Also I would bet the so-called Conservatives that did not come out to vote for the most part come from states that are already solid red. Like I said before a Republican could win 52 percent of the popular vote but still lose the election.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections