Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-26-2014, 10:00 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,758,293 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALackOfCreativity View Post
Which is why a ton of them - more than 10x the margin of victory - showed up to the Republican primary to elect Cochran instead?

I mean, I get it, I'm someone who generally supports Republicans who has always lived in blue areas where my vote doesn't matter, so I understand the idea of voting in the other guy's primary to have some say. However, it's pretty clear that the Democrats wanted Cochran over McDaniel and if it were just the Republicans choosing their own candidate Cochran would have been toast.
That's just smart - and *legal* - political strategy under MS election law. If MS voters want to change back to having closed party primaries - they can.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2014, 10:02 PM

152 posts, read 295,981 times
I haven't read through all the pages and comments but... I hope someone other than me is aware that the National Report is a satire website which posts fake news articles. I don't know much about the other website's credibility, but it concerns me that any of this evidence is coming from the National Report.

Old 06-26-2014, 10:03 PM

15,047 posts, read 8,876,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALackOfCreativity View Post
Which is why a ton of them - more than 10x the margin of victory - showed up to the Republican primary to elect Cochran instead?

I mean, I get it, I'm someone who generally supports Republicans who has always lived in blue areas where my vote doesn't matter, so I understand the idea of voting in the other guy's primary to have some say. However, it's pretty clear that the Democrats wanted Cochran over McDaniel and if it were just the Republicans choosing their own candidate Cochran would have been toast.
Sorry, I should have clarified. The Democratic Party wanted McDaniel. And Childers campaign wanted McDaniel. And a lot of us who don't live in Mississippi wanted McDaniel. But it seems some Democrats in Mississippi were afraid of the impact a Senator McDaniel would have on their lives. And since a Republican always wins in general elections in Mississippi, they had good reason to believe a McDaniel win now would mean a McDaniel win in November. And they definitely didn't want him for their Senator.

Unless you live in Mississippi--and I don't--who are we to tell them they were wrong for voting for the candidate they prefer to represent them? I mean, I know they're only lowly Democrats in Mississippi, but shouldn't they have a say who represents them, too?

Old 06-26-2014, 10:09 PM

89,059 posts, read 44,853,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
It's an *open* primary. I like closed primaries myself, apparently the majority of MS voters feel differently.
It may be open, but voters can't vote in the Dem primary and then again in the R runoff. They're finding a lot of evidence of that type of illegal votes. Over 1,000 in one county alone, so far.

This is going to be ugly.

Old 06-26-2014, 10:13 PM

15,047 posts, read 8,876,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
It may be open, but voters can't vote in the Dem primary and then again in the R runoff. They're finding a lot of evidence of that type of illegal votes. Over 1,000 in one county alone, so far.

The Tea Party will make sure of that.

Old 06-26-2014, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weichert View Post
Tracking how each person voted in an election is the 1st issue.
That's what the Poll Books are for. They record which party an individual votes for in the primary. If a voter is recorded in the Democratic Poll Book as voting on June 3rd and then again on June 24th, it's an illegal vote.
Quote:
It may or may not be an illegal vote.
Anyone who's listed in any of the Democratic Poll Books who cast a vote on both June 3rd and June 24th cast an illegal ballot on June 24th.
Quote:
Who updated the Dem poll book is a 2nd issue, allowing voting in both the Dem primary and the Rep run-off and then making an entry note in the poll book. It'd take a true idiot election official to do that.
The fraud and corruption is getting more blatant.

Quote:
Of course this is a GOP issue, hilarious watching the fight.
Dems got sucked into it, too. It's all Democrats who cast the illegal votes.

Old 06-26-2014, 10:16 PM

3,617 posts, read 3,885,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
That's just smart - and *legal* - political strategy under MS election law. If MS voters want to change back to having closed party primaries - they can.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyJude514 View Post
I mean, I know they're only lowly Democrats in Mississippi, but shouldn't they have a say who represents them, too?
Quote:

Yeah, I think it's like IC said. It's understandable and fine for them to do so within the constraints of the law, even if it leads to an outcome people on our side don't like as much. However, at the same time if they were breaking the law by voting in both primaries then there should both be an effort made to get those votes stricken and to go after the individuals who did so as much as is possible.

Yeah I can see this being ugly -- the Republican party is currently going through a purge of the bad old transactional I-bring-home-the-pork-you-let-me-exercise-power politicians like Cochran and replacing them with people of principles. Actively seeing Democrats interfere with that process, and in a way that is a violation of local election law, is going to go down very, very badly.

Old 06-26-2014, 10:18 PM

6,046 posts, read 4,819,266 times
Quote:

The uglier the better.

Old 06-26-2014, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Sorry, I should have clarified. The Democratic Party wanted McDaniel. And Childers campaign wanted McDaniel. And a lot of us who don't live in Mississippi wanted McDaniel. But it seems some Democrats in Mississippi were afraid of the impact a Senator McDaniel would have on their lives.
So... they let Cochran dupe them into committing election fraud? That's pretty dumb.

Old 06-26-2014, 10:20 PM

Quote:
The Tea Party will make sure of that.
Why should invalid illegal votes count?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections